For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Crasheron

Unreal2 seems to vanish more and more too. Time to put it up here :)
Bleeder91[NL]
OldUnreal Member

Crasheron

Post by Bleeder91[NL] »

Acheron map sux, keeps crashing me for some reason. happens when i kill something and music changes :S I wonder if there are still patches coming out for U2...
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Crasheron

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Are you sure your directmusic works right? Vista and Windows 7 got it mangled, we had to find a way to fix it with GreatEmerald.
If the intro doesn't loop and gets stuck, the flyby one, then your directmusic isn't working right.

There has been only one patch for Unreal2, but with the patch has been fixed dodging and you can also set your running speed in ini so it won't be so slow.
PlayerSpeedRatio. And Setspeed ingame for example 1.5
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bleeder91[NL]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Bleeder91[NL] »

flyby works, and i have vista. thought there were 2 patches: 1403 and 2001? I dunno anymore, installed it 2 years ago so I don't remember it anymore XD
oh and now you mention the flyby, at the end the screen turns white with me. Don't think that's normal, cuz at one time it wasn't white and I could see an orb like thingy :O
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Then the flyby doesn't work.

This is how it should work:

Note that the epic logo part is broken with the patch though.

Visit this thread:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=186714
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bleeder91[NL]
OldUnreal Member

Post by Bleeder91[NL] »

oh...my...god.... my flyby isnt even 50% of what that shows :O lemme try to upload how mine looks like.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Leo, the Epic logo isn't broken for me, as you can see:

But yes, definitely a DirectMusic regression, Bleeder. Use my fix (the resume is in the 4th page: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=186714&page=4 ). And we all know how it looks for you, ends with a white screen after the coloured tube.
Last edited by GreatEmerald on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

How come your flyby intro isn't broken then? What did you do to fix it? I remember you noting it was broken once.
スマイル・ドラゴン
OldUnreal Member

Post by スマイル・ドラゴン »

I don't understand, why did they use DirectMusic? Couldn't they have did their own API or something? I mean Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst for the PC uses specially structured OGG files consisting of multiple Vorbis streams, and sequencing information for them...

Don't understand why they couldn't have done it that way but whatever...
“I am the dragon without a name.”
Ðàrk-_¦_-Ñïght.: / κυνικός Δράκων / スマイル・ドラゴン / Draco Nihil
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Leo, I was probably talking about Atari logo that isn't displayed, but I think that's because of Patch 2001. I din't really do anything to fix it, it was always there since I got past the tube... Also, Bleeder, 2001 is the build number, while 1403 is the patch number, pretty much like it's in UT3.

Gigu, well, why reinvent the wheel? DirectMusic is a good API that comes with DirectX, and that won't be abandoned any time soon. Nobody knew that Microsoft was going to become so evil as to erase their DLL contents and just state that it's deprecated. And neither anyone new that they were going to enforce people to pay Microsoft for signing their drivers, or else they wouldn't run on Windows 7 - hence why Ati Tray Tools are bu default broken. And neither anyone knew that Microsoft was going to remove MIDI device selection from the audio options, making it locked by default to Microsoft Software Synthesizer, making Creative card owners use registry hacks to get it working... Just a few examples of how Microsoft is not playing nicely. Now if WINE coders could only solve the Mouse is confined in a window" bug... Windows would go down the drain (or, rather, down into a VirtualBox) for sure!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

The Epic logo is displayed for me, but there's no particles rain in my version and the chunks are floating a bit off.

See:

This is what it does to me.

And Atari logo is always displayed for me, aren't you usiong anthology version then? Oh no wait it isn't displayed for me either...sigh.
Maye copying the old file back would do it? I don't have it though.

Or wait I do have it, I maybe used your intro file because of the particle rain but it didn't show up anyway on my side.
Here is the original with atari logo working:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/b1707502-bbb9-4aef-beda-2c09e4b3f523/CS_Intro

I can see lightning particles though in the Epic logo part (which are missing in your version), using the old version of the intro, well old, I think this one is 2001 too. But never the rain stuff. You are using the anthology version I figure.
You said it here:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=2313701&postcount=18
Last edited by Leo T_C_K on Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Huh, you're right, your version is different. That means there are three versions - the original, 2001 and Anthology, I think. I vaguely remember that the original had a background in the Epic logo part as well as weather effects, and at the end the "THE AWAKENING" part appears only after a few seconds pass after the flash. Would be interesting to find that version.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

But why doesn't the particle rain display in any version of the map for me? Or is it settings related? I thought I had everything at max.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

It's performance related I think. I didn't see it on my old system, too, but with my new system I can see it all the time.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Ah, so if you don't have really high framerates, it doesn't show up?
I mean in UT2004 the limit for the other effects is rather riduclous and higher even. It doesn't slow down the performance at all for me, so why do that? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Return to “Unreal2 General Forum”