For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

UnrealED 2.0 crashes on-startup when I add additional Edit Packages

Ask UnrealEd 2 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

UnrealED 2.0 crashes on-startup when I add additional Edit Packages

Post by Amaroq Clearwater »

It also doesn't allow me to open maps that didn't come with UT99 or the original Unreal, so I can't open maps I saved under different names or open RTNP or Unreal Fortress maps. Which sucks because I don't have a means of editing Unreal Fortress maps yet in UnrealED 2.1 as they require the botpack which is not compatible with Unreal 227.

Does anybody know how to safely add additional edit packages to UnrealED 2.0?

----

On an unrelated note, I don't no how to change a zone-type from a Water Zone to a Warp Zone, or how to link Warp Zones. I also don't know how to generate or destroy surfaces. Both of these are becoming obstacles to me in my attempt to convert Gateway into a DeathMatch map.
Last edited by Amaroq Clearwater on Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read the bio for my fursona here:
*OUTDATED LINK, WILL BE REPLACED SOON*

---

"Daddy, I had a nightmare."
"What is it, darling?"
"The next Unreal won't have Deck16..."
"That&
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: UnrealED 2.0 crashes on-startup when I add additional Edit Packages

Post by Hellkeeper »

You seem to have a fuzzy understanding of how UnrealEd works. This is not an insult, but an impression.
UnrealEd 2.0 is obsolete for Unreal as it is included in old versions of the 227 patch. It is bundled with the patched version of Unreal Tournament and thus has no problem opening Unreal Tournament or Unreal maps.

As for additional editpackage, there is no "safe" or "unsafe" way to add editpackage. You just add it in your .ini. What would be extremely more useful to find what your problem is, would be the editor.log and the error message you have when the editor crashes.

Waterzones and warpzones are easy subjects. To make a waterzone, simply add "water" surface using the AddSpecial button, and then add a WaterZoneInfo underneath it (Info=>ZoneInfo=>WaterZone).

Warpzones must be linked to each others to work. Create a hallway or doorframe in your map and add a zoneportal inside. In the alcove thus created, put a WarpZoneInfo. Duplicate this set-up wherever the "exit" must be, and then, match each warpzoneinfo's "ThisTag" to the other's "OtherSideURL". Rebuild and test. The orientation of the portals determine the way they work. I refer you to [url=http://home.comcast.net/~darendash/PortalTutorial.html]this page[/url] for more information, help and ideas.

These are not complex subject and can be understood after a 5 minute search on the net. I advise that the next time, you take a look at whatever you need on [url=http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/]the Unreal Wiki[/url].
You must construct additional pylons.
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

I tried adding EditPackages to the editor via the .INI file, AND via the in-editor menu. Both times, all I got was a crash, even if I made sure my syntax was correct and that the package name was correct.

If I add UnrealFortress to edit packages, the editor crashes on Startup with the error "Cannot edit package UnrealFortress"

If I add Upak to edit packages (I have a modified version of RTNP for Unreal Tournament, which requires OldSkool Amp'd to access the singleplayer campaign but everything else is modified to work just fine. It also has even more levels and music), the same thing happens. *Crash-on-Startup* -> "Cannot edit package UPak"

It just pisses me off so much because I can't install UnrealEd 2.1 for Unreal Tournament and I can't edit Unreal Tournament maps (or Unreal Fortress maps because they also require the Botpack) in 227's editor without a botpack for that game as well. Of course, I can't just copy the botpack over from Unreal Tournament because of incompatibility issues, and it more-likely-than-not would cause a crash.

(For reference, I also backed up my UnrealEd 2.0 EXE and copied the UnrealEd 2.1 EXE to my Unreal Tournament directory, and that crashed on startup.)

If I can't get UnrealEd 2.0 to work, and I can't import Unreal Tournament content or Unreal Fortress content (because it requires Unreal Tournament content) into 227's editor, then I basically have literally no hope whatsoever of creating custom maps for Unreal Fortress or porting Unreal Fortress maps to standard Unreal Tournament.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

If the EditPackage crashes the game, then something doesn't work, don't do it.

FYI, there is a version of the botpack compiled for 227 (I guess it's by dots, he does everything). I don't know where to find it, but you should be able to get your hands on it by snooping around a bit.

UnrealEd 2.1 doesn't work in UT because it's not just a simple .exe. It ties into the engine quite deeply and is thus very dependent on whatever it was made for. That's why it's so good, but completely dependent on a single game for each version. Moreover, if the packages cannot be opened for whatever reasons, UEd 2.1 would be just as useless as the 2.0.

Now UEd 2.0 works perfectly. I have no knowledge of Unreal Fortress, but a quick search returns [url=http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Mapping_For_UnrealFortress]this Unreal Wiki article[/url] on how to map for it.
You must construct additional pylons.
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

I think I got the Edit Packages working now (I checked the log, it refused to open Unreal Fortress because of missing sounds, and Upak works fine now), but I still can't open any maps that are under different filenames from the ones that Unreal Tournament came with. This makes editing a pain-in-the-tailhole.

I'll see if I can find this 227 botpack, but I'll only use it for editing maps. If I can find it that is.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&
Gizzy
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gizzy »

I'll see if I can find this 227 botpack, but I'll only use it for editing maps. If I can find it that is.
Botpack 227, PM me if you're stuck with anything.
Amaroq Clearwater
OldUnreal Member

Thanks. Don't worry, I'll let you know.
You had the perfect timing too, UEd 2.0 just died on me.

---

"What is it, darling?"
"That&

Return to “UnrealEd 2, the editor for UnrealTournament”