For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

light works in editor but not in game

Ask UnrealEd 2 mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

light works in editor but not in game

Post by Skywolf »

[URL=http://www.imagedump.nl/img180/3519/19ined.jpg][img]http://www.imagedump.nl/img180/3519/19ined.th.jpg[/img][/URL]
in ED

[URL=http://www.imagedump.nl/img180/1988/68ingame.jpg][img]http://www.imagedump.nl/img180/1988/68ingame.th.jpg[/img][/URL]
in Unreal

the lights are nonincidence and the crystal on the left works like a light too. i made many surfaces special lid to give them al the same color.

did i do something wrong? :'(

btw: cool new forum [smiley=cool.gif]
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
Dozey
OldUnreal Member

Re: light works in editor but not in game

Post by Dozey »

've got this same in dm-skaarjtrain. Maybe you have corrupted zone portal. Check your zone info if it won't help delete all lights with zone info. Remember the light type color etc. and properties from zone info. Rebuild geometry again and lighting. If it won't help - write.

Special lit?? I don't use special lit so i don't have problem now with lighting.
Last edited by Dozey on Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

That's the damn [url=http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1282755589]same problem[/url] I had ! I still haven't found out what's causing it and cannot correct it. I actually had to rebuild the map to make this dissappear.
You must construct additional pylons.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

i looks that for some reason normal light doesnt work >:( only special lit works. normal light doesnt even light any actor (like de players) :o
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
Dozey
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dozey »

what version do you use??
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

unreal version 227F
unrealED version 2.0
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

And this also happens in 227g in Ued 2.1.
Dozey
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dozey »

You should rebuild all but before delete all lights :(
This is only way i think.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

rebuild all fixed the problem that actors arent lighted so i leave it so.... for now ;) i made al the walls special lit and i hope that when i make an other room every thing works like normal in that room.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Wait, how are you supposed to use the map without rebuilding it in the first place?.. And if you mean that it works only on Rebuild All, that makes sense, since lightmaps are only discarded then. If you had the SunLight (or w/e it's called here) actor from 227 in your map, then exported it into T3D, then imported it back to 226, you would still see the light, even though there is no more actor there.
.:..:
OldUnreal Member

Post by .:..: »

Wait, how are you supposed to use the map without rebuilding it in the first place?
Of course he rebuilded it in the first place.
If you had the SunLight (or w/e it's called here) actor from 227 in your map, then exported it into T3D, then imported it back to 226, you would still see the light, even though there is no more actor there.
Wrong! T3D files contain no (rebuilded) light or BSP data.
Besides that sunlight thing is a boolean flag on Actor, which you can use just fine (with normal Light actor) without breaking compatibility.
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

That doesn't explain why when I import WoT maps without doing a rebuild all, I get correct lighting, but when I do it, all SunLights (converted to lights) stop working.
Last edited by GreatEmerald on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

That doesn't explain why when I import WoT maps without doing a rebuild all, I get correct lighting, but when I do it, all SunLights (converted to lights) stop working.
This is why..
//=============================================================================
// SunLight.uc
// $Author: Mpoesch $
// $Date: 8/24/99 9:20p $
// $Revision: 1 $
//=============================================================================

class SunLight expands Actor intrinsic;

#exec Texture Import File=Textures\S_Light.pcx Name=S_Light Mips=Off Flags=2

// end of SunLight.uc
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Interesting, although I have no idea what that means or why it does what it does.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Intrinsic is the deprecated version of "Native" as the legend team loves to use it for no apparent reason. That was in Legend.u. Basically all it means is that it could be doing anything and you'll never know exactly what because it's all done in native wizardry behind the .dll
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Ah, I see. But it's odd, how could that affect T3Ds... After all, I replaced the SunLight with a normal light when I last tried to port things.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

I'm getting this up again because this damn thing keeps happening to me, crippling my worthless attempt at making sad excuses of maps. Any chance this might be caused by something in 227 ? Is it something that UED 2 does ? has anyone else been able to reproduce it ?

Return to “UnrealEd 2, the editor for UnrealTournament”