For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Calling All UnrealScript/UScript Coders I need help with the Code

Unreal Mod related boards can be found here. Missing one? Let me know.
Wishbone
OldUnreal Member

Calling All UnrealScript/UScript Coders I need help with the Code

Post by Wishbone »

Hey OldUnreal community,
I Need help with my UnrealScript/Uscript Code. I am looking for anyone that wants to work on a project with me. anyone that can teach UnrealScript/Uscript with patience lets work together. I am very limited in my Unreal Script knowledge and need help working on this "IronMan Jet boots" mod that I am working on. Anyone Can Join, we can message each other, Beta Test in My personal server or Join Old Unreals "Discord" Server and Chat. Please accept my invite I have tried to work on this mod myself but I keep running into errors and bugs in the Uscript Code. I Need al experienced UnrealScript Coders to help. Leo_TCK has made me aware that CodeX is good with Unreal Script Please get me in contact wiith him or any Mod, Mutator Makers. I would like to see this project through I have so many ideas and Unreal Editor is so fun to use. I am on Unreal Gold i used to be }EC{Wishbone but now I can't really find any of the old clan members. Lets Network and work on this project, please give me any advice and direct me to anyone that could be of help or teach me.
Blu3Haz3
OldUnreal Member

Re: Calling All UnrealScript/UScript Coders I need help with the Code

Post by Blu3Haz3 »

When I first started coding around 11 years ago, I think I needed to use WOTGreal a little bit to give me a little bit of a cheat sheet for all of the different functions and variables in a pinch. But when it comes down to learning the code, you know there are definitely a whole lot of experienced coders here and they probably will offer different advice. But I would say even from scratch, it is often or usually best to take a function or event that you think you might want to use in your script, setting up various flags that send what each variable returns or what is being done with the code... and outputting that to the System Log I think using log(); or something of the sort.

The point of doing this is to learn exactly when, why and how code gets executed, and it might help you figure out the full purpose of things that aren't well documented. I don't know to what extent this technique works when learning Unreal Script, it's a vast class tree full of code that is unreadable to beginners. But, it might help to just try and find things that might sound like what you're looking for to put into your mod. For instance you might want infinite jumpboot charge, but thankfully the jumpboots class probably isn't super complicated to look at, and so you can just debug using flags and logs to work out what things are doing. And you might be able to narrow down where to modify the jumpboot charge so that it never decreases. The main problem with the jumpboots by default is that the charge will decrease every time you jump, so you have to find what part of the code is executed when you press jump, and I would imagine it has something to do with playerpawn(owner) action, or an event in the code that triggers the charge depletion. You have to basically intercept that code and ensure it just never subtracts.

On Zombie's server, he had completely removed the charge bar on the jumpboots and amplifier I think, that probably was to conceal the fact that the boots didn't actually have infinite charge since infinity is not a number you can just put into your code. Most likely instead, he just never let the boots and amplifier tick down in their charge, and just hid any indication that the items had charges at all. But yeah, just brainstorm a little bit on how the code of the jumpboots work and then try and mess around until you can find solutions.

As far as making the player accelerate in the air, hmm... I mean you could try to tell the code to add higher groundspeed and airspeed or something to their movement. And already inside of the code for the Jump Boots should be something that modifies the owner's JumpZ height, that might show you how to change the players movement a little bit. You might also be able to add speed to their current velocity, so if you want to make the owner accelerate where they're aiming... you might be able to just grab the vector from the owner's viewrotation and add velocity to that. In the code you can force it to add velocity only in the x, y or z as well. I don't remember if viewrotation is a vector or not, but I do think velocity is and so you should be able to use both together to achieve results.

If you can't figure out how to do this, go to the code for the playerpawn class and look for areas that change velocity and observe how the code works and how it is called. It might seem like a slow chore to do, but I have had success pretty quickly in the past achieving things that I wouldn't have expected to be able to do by myself. Trial and error helps a long ways with understanding the way things work in uscript, and eventually after a few coding attempts you'll be able to avoid a whole lot of that.
Wishbone
OldUnreal Member

Re: Calling All UnrealScript/UScript Coders I need help with the Code

Post by Wishbone »

Blu3Haz3 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:14 pm When I first started coding around 11 years ago, I think I needed to use WOTGreal a little bit to give me a little bit of a cheat sheet for all of the different functions and variables in a pinch. But when it comes down to learning the code, you know there are definitely a whole lot of experienced coders here and they probably will offer different advice. But I would say even from scratch, it is often or usually best to take a function or event that you think you might want to use in your script, setting up various flags that send what each variable returns or what is being done with the code... and outputting that to the System Log I think using log(); or something of the sort.

The point of doing this is to learn exactly when, why and how code gets executed, and it might help you figure out the full purpose of things that aren't well documented. I don't know to what extent this technique works when learning Unreal Script, it's a vast class tree full of code that is unreadable to beginners. But, it might help to just try and find things that might sound like what you're looking for to put into your mod. For instance you might want infinite jumpboot charge, but thankfully the jumpboots class probably isn't super complicated to look at, and so you can just debug using flags and logs to work out what things are doing. And you might be able to narrow down where to modify the jumpboot charge so that it never decreases. The main problem with the jumpboots by default is that the charge will decrease every time you jump, so you have to find what part of the code is executed when you press jump, and I would imagine it has something to do with playerpawn(owner) action, or an event in the code that triggers the charge depletion. You have to basically intercept that code and ensure it just never subtracts.

On Zombie's server, he had completely removed the charge bar on the jumpboots and amplifier I think, that probably was to conceal the fact that the boots didn't actually have infinite charge since infinity is not a number you can just put into your code. Most likely instead, he just never let the boots and amplifier tick down in their charge, and just hid any indication that the items had charges at all. But yeah, just brainstorm a little bit on how the code of the jumpboots work and then try and mess around until you can find solutions.

As far as making the player accelerate in the air, hmm... I mean you could try to tell the code to add higher groundspeed and airspeed or something to their movement. And already inside of the code for the Jump Boots should be something that modifies the owner's JumpZ height, that might show you how to change the players movement a little bit. You might also be able to add speed to their current velocity, so if you want to make the owner accelerate where they're aiming... you might be able to just grab the vector from the owner's viewrotation and add velocity to that. In the code you can force it to add velocity only in the x, y or z as well. I don't remember if viewrotation is a vector or not, but I do think velocity is and so you should be able to use both together to achieve results.

If you can't figure out how to do this, go to the code for the playerpawn class and look for areas that change velocity and observe how the code works and how it is called. It might seem like a slow chore to do, but I have had success pretty quickly in the past achieving things that I wouldn't have expected to be able to do by myself. Trial and error helps a long ways with understanding the way things work in uscript, and eventually after a few coding attempts you'll be able to avoid a whole lot of that.
Thank you for the advice, I am also on the "OldUnreal" Discord server I have been having coders examine my code, I keep running into errors when compiling the code. I made a multicannon flakcannon mod and its works and compiles very well but i did not write the code it was an example from a UnrealScript tutorial I was reading. I am currently reading a book by "Rachel Cordone" called "Unreal Development Kit Game Programming with Unreal Script" its a Beginners Guide by Rachel Cordone. I have another book coming in soon by Kyle Langley called "Learn Programming with Unreal Script" I am struggling with understanding "Native" and how to use it but so far I have learned what Float,Integer,Function, Local,Struct does in the code and how to type it, also "Default Properties" even though coders in the "OldUnreal" and "UT99" discord servers tell me "UnrealED/UnrealEditor" cannot read DefaultProperties and too remove it. Any Advice or wisedom will help I enjoyed reading your response and Description. I Enjoy Unreal Gold and decided its time for me to move on and learn how to Code since the "Unreal Community" seems to be getting smaller its hard to find a Good Coder that will teach me lately. Please Spread the Word all UnrealScript Coders are welcome on this project. I do miss Dots, Zombie and Unreal Pcube I am aware they used to code Also Oblivion[CW]. I've been on and off in the unreal community for many years ive seen them create new Games With a Newer Version of Unreal Engine but I am still a fan of the Original Engine and Unreal Gold. IF You come across any modders and coders please tell them about me and send them my way so I can learn more.

Return to “Unreal Mods”