For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Learning Uscript also know as UnrealScript

Unreal Mod related boards can be found here. Missing one? Let me know.
Wishbone
OldUnreal Member

Learning Uscript also know as UnrealScript

Post by Wishbone »

Hey Old Unreal Community,
If you are good at coding in Uscript (Unreal) I need your help. I am a beginner at Uscript and I am trying to learn. I have a vision for a couple of gun mods and pick up items but I need help with the code. I am asking and looking for all coders who are willing to give me a helping hand and teach me Uscript with patience. Thank you.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Learning Uscript also know as UnrealScript

Post by Leo T_C_K »

There are some tutorial links on this site and ut99.org(and even few in the oldunreal link i posted in the other thread i believe). Myself I learned UnrealScript long ago circa 2004 from two unreal script sites, I believe weapons of destruction and that site from which the original onp's follower/bodyguard code was from...I forgot the name of it now though. I can't quickly reference it. Either way what's most important is that you learn the basics and then just observe other code and learn from it. There is also not a single specific way to write code and honestly over time myself I sometimes just modified existing code or adapated my way based on someone else. There are some projects where I was more original with the code but sometimes I found it too much of a bother myself. I could sometimes figure out some neat tricks/hacks, though that is not a correct programmer's way, however I never claimed to be a true programmer so there you go. But by learning the basics of unrealscript and because it is a language that needs to be compiled, you basically do know the basics of programming already even if you didn't study it in school or wherever else. Also UnrealScript is these days a bit of a niche thing that is often being forgotten. One of the really good people with it I can say is CodeX and to lesser extent even yrex, though he is more of a tools programmer originally than UnrealScript dude.

CodeX is not a person who engages much in community though and he's mostly running his servers and stuff. But he's really good with unrealscript and maybe he would have patience to teach you now and then, I don't know.

I suppose I am best in adapating existing code and find original ways to fix bugs while other people are better at writing everything from scratch in a neat way.
Wishbone
OldUnreal Member

Post by Wishbone »

Thank you for the reply, I'll check it out please keep in mind that I want to learn it so anything you say will help, I have been examining the code in other actors but to learn how to code it myself has been difficult thank you for you reply, I hope to work with you on some projects.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Unfortunately I'm not even in a position currently to really work on any projects I barely get chance to do something of my own and its incredibly frustrating to me.
Wishbone
OldUnreal Member

Post by Wishbone »

I am currently working on an Iron Man Mod, these jumpboots will help you glide through the map with a special effect flame texture that comes out of the bottom of the players feet, I need help on it with the Uscript i am very new to UnrealScript and need help with the coding.

Return to “Unreal Mods”