For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[227] RLCoop (Real Life Survival Gametype) [Official Thread - BETA RELEASED]

This Board was made to give Unreal projects a home- if you need a place to discuss about your mods, campains, to offer your projects for download, to seek members for it.
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

[227] RLCoop (Real Life Survival Gametype) [Official Thread - BETA RELEASED]

Post by Shivaxi »

Some of you may have seen this project on UnrealSP, so I'm re-posting it here on request.

[img][/img]

Download

Beta v1.1:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/q910whm6sseyq ... e.zip?dl=0

PLEASE read the readme, RLCoop will not function properly if your game is not setup in a specific way.  Please also remember this is a beta, and has many bugs still.

About/Background

So basically, this was was a project I started a long time ago, and just recently have picked up and made some major progress.  I always loved a sense of realism and survival in my games, and a true cooperative experience.  Unreal was lacking this, what with weapons and items respawning online, people running and gunning carelessly and able to revive themselves with no consequences, and monsters having to whack at ya about 20 times just to do some real damage.  Not very realistic...of course this is UNreal so I know it may be a little ironic trying to make this game more REAL.   But I always preferred hardcore mode when playing COD4 so...

Anyway, this gametype is basically designed to bring a much more realistic and cooperative experience to Unreal.  Running and gunning is no longer an option.  In fact, after several playthroughs both by myself and with others, I've concluded that it's pretty much impossible to play through Unreal on your own with RLCoop.  The more the merrier, but the more cooperation needed between players.  Once you die, you stay dead.  Nothing respawns, forcing players to share weapons and items equally, especially now that you can share ammunition, items, and even health and armor between players, making communication a key part of RLCoop for survival.  227's difficulty settings makes monsters extremely hard and agressive.  A brute can kill you with 1 to 2 rockets.  No longer can you carry a battalion of weapons...you can now only carry 2 at a time.  These simple changes alone make it a great cooperative and survival experience.  These are just a few features out of many that I'll now try to organize and explain down below:

Features

green = implemented
red = not yet implemented

RL Gametype:

-No respawn!  If you die, you become a spectator.  If everyone dies, the level restarts.  If at least 1 person survives and ends the level, all players respawn in the next level.
-No respawn for weapons or items.
-227 difficulty 6 forced on.  This increases monster speed and their projectile speed and damage, raises their alertness to see you from far distances and hear you walking or running, and increases their aggressiveness.
-Only able to carry 2 weapons at a time.
-Only able to carry 15 items at a time (this includes any armor types as well).
-New players do not start with any weapons or inventory (we call these new players, "Survivors").
-Inventory is saved, even if you die, so you will respawn in the next level with everything you died with. (will make optional)  Players now drop all items upon death.  They spawn in a random location on the next level as a new survivor.
-Friendly Fire forced on 100%
-Bleeding enabled.  All health will stop bleeding (except nali fruit and superhealth).  Players will bleed out if they do not heal themselves.  Bleeding works on pawns as well.
-Updated scoreboard.  Players alive are in green. Players dead are in red.  Spectating players are in white.
-Updated HUD.  No crosshair.  Armor icon moved next to health icon.
-Accumulative bleeding.  This means the more you are shot, or the more a monster is shot, the more and quicker they bleed out from their wounds.  Makes a good tactic for riddling a pawn with holes quickly and then leaving him to die.
-Both Players & Monsters will make the injur noise and animation when they are close to death from bleeding out (below 50 health).
-Removed weapon and item unlit glow and rotation ( its unrealistic! xD )
-Monsters will suffer from being damaged and low health and start to move slower and more sluggish.  [currently removed due to issues]
-All players (that are alive) must now touch the ending in order to end the level, or voteend.
-Votestart added.  Players must vote to start in order to begin.  After this has been done, the level begins and the server locks out anyone else connecting or reconnecting by forcing them to spectator.
-All damage taken to the head for monsters and players is multiplied by 4x.
-Damage done to a pawn varies now based on where they take damage.
-Players drop all their inventory when they die, including all weapons, ammo, items, and armor.
-The height at which you can fall and take no damage has been shortened to a much more realistic distance.

-Lootable bodies.  You can loot carcass's for ammo or items.
-May be introducing a save game feature that allows real time saving the game in the middle of a level (admin command only obviously).
-All players now start at single player start.  Coop starts are disabled.  [removed due to issues]

RL Players:

-Real time crouching, allowing you to duck under projectiles or obstacles.
-New leaning function, allowing you to lean around corners and swap weapon hand on the fly to peak and shoot around corners.
-Sneaking implemented.  Crouching reduces your visibility to monsters, and makes you silent, allowing you to sneak past enemies unsuspectingly.
-Feign death works!  Fool monsters by faking your death, and they will ignore you.  However if you try to fake death in front of a monster, they will not be fooled (acts like invisibility item)
-Low health and taking damage effects Player movement.  Players will limp depending on where they are shot, and move slower with a lower amount of health (below 50, 0.75 normal ground speed, below 25, 0.50 normal run speed)...and even forced to walking if on the brink of death.  Limping and movement will not heal if your health is too low (below 50).  Limping heals gradually/slowly.
-Player boost.  Players can now give their teammates a height boost by crouching and allowing another player to stand on top of them.  You can also jump to toss your teammate up to a ledge.
-Monster grab.  Players can now jump on top of a monster in order to distract them and kill them easily.  It is possible to get thrown off though, so use with caution.
-Grabbing now works as well.  Grab and carry boxes or barrels, etc. (movable decoration objects)  If you click to fire while holding a decoration item, you will throw that object.
-You must now pickup items manually using the 'grab' function.  Much more realistic and prevents players from accidentally picking up things they don't want.  Also useful for grabbing items that are slightly up on a ledge, etc.
-Getting shot or hurt will offset your aiming when you take damage.
-Players fall to the ground (feign death) if they take falling damage.  Aka if you fall from a high ledge and take damage when landing on the ground, you will fall down, and be forced to manually stand up again with jump key.
-Proning.  Players will be able to Prone, allowing them to crawl under tight spaces.  This will also reduce your visibility to monsters like crouching, but get to close and they will notice you.
-Side Stepping (The vertical proning).  This will allow players to squeeze through bars are other skinny spaces when walking.
-Player ledge grabbing.  Players can grab onto high ledges and pull themselves up by double jumping near a ledge they are facing.
-Wall jump!  Players can perform a wall jump parkour style by jumping off of a wall.  Note you must be facing away from the wall to do this.
-Player rolling.  Players can crouch in mid air while falling to perform a roll upon landing in order to minimize or take no damage from the fall.

RL Inventory:

-New Inventory Handler (RLMenu) allows throwing/trading of all items, including weapons, ammunition, items, and even armor.  GUI interface implemented.
-Melee system implemented.  Players start with their own 2 fists.
-Knife upgrade for melee fists (Knife upgrade replaces decoration knifes).  Finding a knife adds +50 damage to melee attacks.
-Health & Bandages updated to go into your inventory as items to use whenever you want.  Health & Bandages have slow heal effect.
-Health packs now heal +25.
-Bandages now heal +10.  Bandages can be used when health is over 100 in order to stop bleeding, but will only heal +1.
-Flashlight and Searchlight updated to be more realistic.
-Critical damage for sneak attacks.  Example, sneaking up behind an enemy and using melee on them while they're un-alert will increase your melee damage (x6).  This is usually lethal and an instant take down when you melee with the knife.
-Flares now last for an hour and have OmniBumpMap enabled.

-Nali fruit berries now goes into inventory as well.  Nali fruit will grow back after a certain time (maybe...this could be cheated to stock up on a ton of health)

Additional Features & Fixes:

-Thrown/dropped inventory no longer disappears after 40 seconds. (infinite lifespan, so you don't have to worry about losing items)
-Fixed so that players cannot pickup more than 1 of the same item (example, you cannot pick up armor if you already have armor.  This way it doesn't "waste" the new armor)
-Carcass's never disappear anymore.
-Dodging changed to jump a bit as well (UT99 style).  This fixed getting stuck on little bits of trim while dodging.
-Grabbing now used to extract ammo from weapons you're already carrying.  Also now extracts from ammo as well if you cannot carry the full ammo clip for your weapon.  (example:  You have 199 bullets, and you try to grab a shellbox (50 bullets).  You will only get 1 bullet and 49 bullets will remain in the shellbox for other players to grab, so ammo is not 'wasted')
-Disabled HUD for spectators and dead players.
-Feigning death changes collision height.
-Blood and Decals always render now, so if you have permanent decals on, you will always see where the carnage went down even if you weren't there at the time.
-Carcasses now have collision.  (blocks players and actors)
-Players no longer get gibbed unless the damage is from explosive damage.
-Enemies no longer have pinpoint perfect accuracy, and now have a slight spread with their shots.
-Enemies now take proper fall damage and can no longer survive falling ridiculous heights.

-Fix for crouch/walk speed hack on ice

Known Bugs:

There are a few known bugs I guess worth mentioning here...some of them are pretty funny actually =P

-Players can run around with players on top of them.  In fact you can have a tower of players...player on a player on a player on a...u get the idea xD  This needs to be fixed.
-Death animations are broken and seem to choose one at random despite how you die.  So you will bleed to death and your head pops off or an arm falls off...something ridiculous like that.
-Leaning looks choppy and doesnt always work when you fire.  aka you lean to the left but your weapon shoots from the right and you end up blowing yourself up half the time.[FIXED...for stock weapons only]
-The usual script warnings and such.[FIXED]
-New one here, bodies now instantly explode when they take any amount of damage O.o  no idea how i managed that one xD[FIXED]
-Currently you can fly around on books by punching them =P  Of course this has been a known cheat with books and any weapon really.  Currently working on a fix for this.
-Players can keep firing their weapon when they die (due to keep inventory code) [FIXED]
-Players can use and throw inventory and items when dead [FIXED]
-Monsters that bleed to death do not drop their weapon.
-Sneak attack knifing a pawn causes them to blow up instantly rofl[FIXED]
-Blood and other effects not showing when leaning[FIXED]
-Can't hear pawns bleeding when behind a wall (aka not in render view)[FIXED]

Media

Screenshots:

Leaning round some corners
[img][/img]  [img][/img]

Fists
[img][/img]  [img][/img]

Punching a wall and Bleeder91 helping me reach some ammo
[img][/img]  [img][/img]

Flashlight & Searchlight
[img][/img]  [img][/img]

Sneaking up on an unsuspecting Skaarj
[img][/img]

Videos:

These recordings are playthroughs of Bleeder91 and I trying to make our way through and surviving (mostly dieing) the world of Unreal with RLCoop.

[sorry, these videos got deleted by accident]

Live (Recorded) Broadcasts of RLCoop Events:

RLCoop Private Online Event 1  [April 20th, 2013]

RLCoop Private Online Event 2:  [May 18th, 2013]

Part 1:
Part 2:

RLCoop Private Online Event 3 [July 6th, 2013]

Solo Runs

Attacked!

- First attempt on the first level in which I failed.
- Second attempt on the first level in which I did NOT fail ^^

Tower Of Shrakitha

- Shrak level 2 (after the 3rd online RLCoop event,) [with commentary!]

==================================================

Just want to give credit where credit is due.  These are all the people who have helped me with this project over the years and more recently now:

-TheDarksider - Nobody may remember him, but he did a lot for RLCoop back in the day, and he's original designer of the new inventory handling system.
-Matrix224 - Did a lot for RLCoop as well, helping me with the gametype and enhancing the inventory handler.
-Dots - Helped me with 1 or 2 small things but worth mentioning.
-Bleeder91 - Bleeder91 and I are the only 2 running the project now.  Bleeder is helping a hell of a lot and deserves a lot of credit.

p.s. -Epsilon - He died lots.  Made sure that was working =P
Last edited by Shivaxi on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image  Image
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Re: [227] RLCoop (Real Life Survival Gametype) [Official Thread - BETA RELEASED]

Post by Shivaxi »

I'm working on a new update v1.1 due to release soon hopefully, with the following changes (so far):

-Enemies no longer have pinpoint perfect accuracy, and now have a slight spread with their shots.
-Enemies now take proper fall damage and can no longer survive falling ridiculous heights.
-Adjusted rolling mechanic, fixed a speed issue and a sort of fly hack that could be done with it.
-Adjusted ledge grab mechanic, allowing you to grab onto ledges while falling slightly.
-Added scope to rifle.
-Allow prone in midair, doing a belly flop is NOT recommended.
-Added accuracy modifier for proning.  Proning now makes your shots near perfectly accurate.
-Fixed weaponpowerup for RLWeapons and for custom weapons.
-Fixed an inventory exploit, can no longer change your name during the game.
-Fixed naliboat.unr ending door closing behind the first player to walk through.
-Added idle timeout kicker that can be adjusted in the settings.  Default 2 minutes.
-Fixed flashlight charge being broken.  Flashlights now last 4x as long as normal Flashlights.
-Fixed SinglePlayerStartMaps not working.
-Fixed spawning under water, so now maps like SkyBase.unr with SinglePlayerStarts enabled will work.
-Fixed AFK timer not working.
-Fixed a bug where creatures without BRAINS=Human could still lead you with their shots.

Also in beta version 1.0 there is currently a huge issue with the flashlight causing you to crash when using it for about 30 seconds in single player only.  Online is fine, but if you're playing single player, don't use the flashlight =P  Will try to fix for 1.1 release (this may be 227j only)

Additional Media:

[img][/img]  [img][/img]

[img][/img]  [img][/img]

split screen spectating
[img][/img]

new spread compared to old spread
[img]http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/Bleeder91/Autoplay-2013_11_16_19_10_42_101.png[/img]

new rolling mechanic
Last edited by Shivaxi on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image  Image
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: [227] RLCoop (Real Life Survival Gametype) [Official Thread - BETA RELEASED]

Post by Smirftsch »

really cool, looking forward to test it myself, just didn't find the time so far :)
Last edited by Smirftsch on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Radi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Radi »

just WOW! Indeed very interesting. So that mod works for single-player only too ? ..but probably its too hard without other players help?
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

just WOW!   Indeed very interesting. So that mod works for single-player only too ?   ..but probably its too hard without other players help?
It actually works better online mutliplayer than offline single player XD but yes it works for both online and offline play. One of the issues offline though is that you spawn on the cooperative playerstart points instead of the singleplayer start. It is possible to solo, just extremely difficult. But I have done it for some of the hardest maps, like I've solo'd extremecore before...god that took forever. It's doable though, especially if you have a sniper rifle xD. I have my server running of course if you guys wanna check it out online. Hope to get the new version released soon, fixes a lot of things.
Image  Image
Torax
OldUnreal Member

Post by Torax »

Cool!
I always was a fan of survival element in game.

Maybe you add feature to attach weapons and stuff to players like AttachToVertex command does? It will be great to see what player actually carry - weapons, some items, probably armor meshes (helmet, armor, belt, boots, etc)

And what about addons for this gametype, such as custom weapons, items and
stuff?  :D

EDIT
Oh sorry, i saw that feature of attaching weapons to players working but looks like, kinda awkward)
Last edited by Torax on Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

Cool!
I always was a fan of survival element in game.

Maybe you add feature to attach weapons and stuff to players like AttachToVertex command does? It will be great to see what player actually carry - weapons, some items, probably armor meshes (helmet, armor, belt, boots, etc)

And what about addons for this gametype, such as custom weapons, items and
stuff?  :D

EDIT
Oh sorry, i saw that feature of attaching weapons to players working but looks like, kinda awkward)
Yeah the attach vertex for weapons thing can look a little buggy, but I'm happy with it currently. Custom weapons and items and monsters do work with RLCoop.
Image  Image
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

UPDATE BETA v1.1 RELEASED:

Download -->  https://www.dropbox.com/s/q910whm6sseyq ... e.zip?dl=0

Changes:

-Adjusted rolling mechanic, fixed a speed issue and a sort of fly hack that could be done with it.
-Adjusted ledge grab mechanic, allowing you to grab onto ledges while falling slightly.
-Added scope to rifle.
-Allow prone in midair, doing a belly flop is NOT recommended.
-Added accuracy modifier for proning. Proning now makes your shots near perfectly accurate.
-Fixed weaponpowerup for RLWeapons and for custom weapons.
-Fixed an inventory exploit, can no longer change your name during the game.
-Fixed naliboat.unr ending door closing behind the first player to walk through.
-Added AFK idle timeout kicker that can be adjusted in the settings. Disabled by default.
-Fixed flashlight charge being broken. Flashlights now last 4x as long as normal Flashlights.
-Fixed SinglePlayerStartMaps not working.
-Fixed spawning under water, so now maps like SkyBase.unr with SinglePlayerStarts enabled will work.
-Fixed a bug where creatures without BRAINS=Human could still lead you with their shots.
-Updated ReadMe

Please copy and overwrite ALL new files, including INI's.
Last edited by Shivaxi on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image  Image
Torax
OldUnreal Member

Post by Torax »

Do you need any help with this stuff?
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

Do you need any help with this stuff?
Could always use help with this stuff haha. You offering? ^^ Send me a PM
Image  Image
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ts5 ... sp=sharing

Figured I'd post this here if anyone's interested in some of the upcoming features we have planned for RLCoop and such...it's a nice neat list until you get towards the bottom lol :P
Image  Image
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

So something forthcoming, making the Krall's staff a pickupable and usable weapon! =D

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Image  Image
Radi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Radi »

I always wanted to use that staff ! :D
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

I always wanted to use that staff !  :D
=) I have the prototype working right now up on my public RLCoop test server, go give it a try ^^ Maybe I'll make it a separate mod too if people want it that badly
Image  Image
Radi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Radi »

yeah yeah! I badly need this for U1 project.. Im miss weapons like this :) Can you make it as .u package to implement as myleveled or something like this ^.^ ?
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Shivaxi »

Showing off the Krall Staff weapon and some gameplay on the hardest map

Image  Image
Radi
OldUnreal Member

Post by Radi »

:D Nice video, fun to watch, really its hard, one bite from puppae can kill O.o

I like that Krall staff and grabbing feature - something that I miss in Unreal or Deus Ex or similiar games: Crate/fence as obstacle? nonsence- should be climbable as in real life, good work :)
EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Post by EvilGrins »

Saw this, looks really cool. I'm not home to be able to test it and I'm hoping it works in UT because I'm loving that Krall staff weapon.

Only staff weapon I've had access to is the Goa'uld lance...
[img]http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/evilgrins/3189901/2273687/2273687_original.png[/img]
...and it doesn't have a melee assault.
New Gaming strategy: Hug everything!

Return to “Unreal Projects”