For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Post Reply
User avatar
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Leo T_C_K »

AlCapowned wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:29 pm
You are doing what I did during the nwfalcon argument but worse.


You publicly went on for weeks, made excuses to explain away the mountain of evidence yrex found, ignored nwfalcon’s admission, and even when you finally came around, you said it could have been a legitimate build that was modified. Nothing Delacroix has said here compares.

Anyway, there’s so little of consequence in this build that it’s hardly worth arguing about either way.
It wasn't excuses, it was possibilities and we have to look at it from multiple points/angles(after all that's the point of research isn't it? people forget that and it was useful knowing all that for the future) and it was the first time something like that happened. I made error in judgement and kept following it blindly and that's different now. Besides Delacroix was obviously hiding behind me at that point. Tell me, why didn't he instead come to the public with his own opinions back then? He stayed hidden instead.

And now we see many outright errors or untrue things in yrex's analysis. Things already disproven completely.

Delacroix will also go on for weeks until it becomes so evident. Come on, look at Terraniux too and those doors and the texture errors. Seems like shoddy copying to me too. I am trying to ping Inoxx about it right now. I really hope he will answer.
User avatar
[kx]de_zeurkous
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:40 pm
Location: /u/zeurkous/
Contact:

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by [kx]de_zeurkous »

AlCapowned wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:29 pm Anyway, there's so little of consequence in this build that it's hardly worth arguing about either way.
Me'd say there's a lot of consequence in this build, and let's not
forget the consequence in your wallet, should you have been ripped off.

That it's not worth actually arguing about, mecan only agree w/. What's
wrong w/ a cooperative investigation? (Hopeless naivety, me's sure.)
--
Friggin' Machines!
User avatar
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I think by this point I have a mountain of evidence myself.
look at this garbage for example

You should be actually thankful for me to be this thorough when looking at it. Screenshots by jackhonda btw as I asked for them.

Also actually for the nwfalcon beta arguing too. Because in the end I confirmed with inoxx that the skaarj cage used to be at a version of Cryox and not Terraniux and the maps were proven to be fake thoroughly not just by his admission but also by the t3d examination.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Oh yea I did want to add yesterday, maybe I can claim it. As in you know I can claim its fake from the getgo because that would be only fair compared to the nwfalcon situation. Because you guys (except delacroix initially) claimed for hundred percent sure that it was that way...even though it could have been just a modified existing build and there was no way for you to verify and nwfalcon's story could have been more complex than it seemed. But the drama didn't help. However acting like I was the only one responsible for the drama back then or that yrex's claims are infallible is also...complete bullshit.

There. So. I can claim this beta is fake and the burden of proof should be on you guys to prove otherwise. Because by examination it seems like those doors were copied over...this is what usually happens when you copy stuff improperly or indeed between versions that are lress compatible. Like between Unreal and the DNF build etc.
User avatar
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Victor Delacroix wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:46 pm Geez, even when I promise myself to not engage with you, here I stand, provoked into putting you in your place.

You can't just unilaterally say that it has to be pronounced as fake. You've shed some doubts, AlCa apparently believes you, I don't, so until we have confirmation from someone that worked on the game that DmSolaris (the main thing that this build was targeted for, let's be honest) or whatever else herein is fake, at best we can claim "status unclear".

That's it.
It is fake. I just got reply from Inoxx.

He seems to claim he doesn't remember any version of terralift/terraniux being quite like this. I showed him these screenshots and more screenshots.
I don't remember this but these doors look wrong. Somehow the UVs got
messed up.
User avatar
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Leo T_C_K »

So basically...after being exposed to this drama and double-standards flying about, I think I deserve some respect to be given to me and an apology too.

I know I often can fly rude insults, but my points are usually strong.

Because when things were the other way and I had counter-points, which in Delacroix's case was severely lacking and he only voiced few privately that I've instantly disproven.
User avatar
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 632
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:16 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Victor Delacroix »

OK, you seem to have a solid point here, I'll admit that. I'd normally counter it with a suggestion that UV/tex alignment could've been messed up in a rebuild (and given how broken stock maps can get upon a simple rebuild, it's not out of the realm of possibility) but with a build this late, there is a chance he'd be closely acquainted with all maps, not just his.

I'm reserving final judgment until there's a confirmation from Cliff, regarding Solaris.

Also, let's say you were right all along. You want people to apologize to you for not believing you outright without evidence and for standing by their opinions until proven otherwise? Ha. Screw you.
User avatar
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Victor Delacroix wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:18 pm OK, you seem to have a solid point here, I'll admit that. I'd normally counter it with a suggestion that UV/tex alignment could've been messed up in a rebuild (and given how broken stock maps can get upon a simple rebuild, it's not out of the realm of possibility) but with a build this late, there is a chance he'd be closely acquainted with all maps, not just his.

I'm reserving final judgment until there's a confirmation from Cliff, regarding Solaris.

Also, let's say you were right all along. You want people to apologize to you for not believing you outright without evidence and for standing by their opinions until proven otherwise? Ha. Screw you.
Cliff hasn't been communicating with anyone for ages even over less controversial matters. So that might be never. And yes Inoxx previously thought Solaris was originally either Pancho (who said no to that) or Jeremy who hasn't responded. but yea I sent him screenshots of Ariza and Solaris and if I get it right he doesn't remember it like this either it seems.

Also...no you don't get to make judgments here. You have no authority over this anymore, chud.

That final response you gave...tsk tsk...there's only one reaction possible...
owtheOUEDIT.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Also if anyone is interested in more technical explanation for why the texture aligment is messed up...here read the response I gave to Inoxx:
I mean what reason would those doors be so wrong if even the previous beta versions had it correct.

Over time I realized there was so much wrong with this version and it doesn't add up with what I know. It looks like these doors were incorrectly copied from the earlier version without any conversion. I mean technically there are only two versions of Terraniux otherwise, the one from the famous leaked beta from early 1998 (that beta in particular was used for one of the trailers, less known one) and the released one.
User avatar
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 632
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:16 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Victor Delacroix »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:45 pmAlso...no you don't get to make judgments here. You have no authority over this anymore, chud.
Ah, so it's about authority to you? You like being in charge?

This isn't worth my time and neither are you.
User avatar
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Victor Delacroix wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:18 am
Leo T_C_K wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:45 pmAlso...no you don't get to make judgments here. You have no authority over this anymore, chud.
Ah, so it's about authority to you? You like being in charge?

This isn't worth my time and neither are you.
No, it is about authority for you. You are blindly following authority all the time and I was trying to show you that, apart other things.

I know how you feel and why you go into denial like you do now.

Unlike most people.

EDIT: You responed to your own reflection. Realize that and learn.
User avatar
[kx]de_zeurkous
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:40 pm
Location: /u/zeurkous/
Contact:

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by [kx]de_zeurkous »

Great that it's fake :/
Victor Delacroix wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:18 am This isn't worth my time and neither are you.
Perhaps next time you can figure that out *before* posting a lot of
drama.
--
Friggin' Machines!
AlCapowned
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by AlCapowned »

[kx]de_zeurkous wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 8:35 am Perhaps next time you can figure that out *before* posting a lot of
drama.
You say that as if Leo wasn’t the one to instigate it in the first place. If he didn’t want pushback, he should have posted his evidence without throwing out insults publicly (for once). He is not a victim here.
User avatar
[kx]de_zeurkous
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:40 pm
Location: /u/zeurkous/
Contact:

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by [kx]de_zeurkous »

No way that Leo instigated it. El Platitan has the intrinsic need to
be more relevant than others (but not quite the capability to live up
to it, mind), and me'd argue that to a large degree, so do you. You
should've both considered the evidence on its own merits, and yet you
both attacked Leo for bringing it. Only self-important idiots attack
someone on form when it's clearly the content that disturbs them more.

That's me insult. Go focus on it, maybe it'll make you feel good.

(And just for the public record: the post in which Leo zeroth doubted
the authenticity of the "beta" appears to contain the gran' ol' total
of 0 insults. Anyone who did detect one please quote chapter & verse.)

Leaves me to note that w/ the unmasking of the previous fake "beta", Leo
learned his lesson. It appears that some big-mouthed people didn't, and
are hell-bent not to come out of this looking bad.
--
Friggin' Machines!
User avatar
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Yea. Who said first "Screw You" and stuff like that. But fine....



Look, even GamesHarder previously noticed oddities but went into what alcapowned calls "mental gymnastics" to somehow explain ir or not. He himself noted previously that something seemed to have been "copied from a different map" like even the lift on sunspire. I'd say its because some stuff was copied from the "99" beta or modified otherwise.

I have to say that Rebuilding Geometry or BSP doesn't do this kind of stuff, not in any of the versions we have. It doesn't randomly screw up a mover.

Unless you do what nwfalcon did like with skycaves acording to his admision. Then...that stuff happens for sure.

It is most likely that nwfalcon did this beta, after all he did say last time around that he ..well he implied he had more skills to show and that he intended that other beta to be revealed as fake...correct? So...
*sigh* zeur said I made a "Travolta gesture" while writing this.

But basically, that and some of the stuff faiyadg talked with gamesharder after this was shared could suggest that he is in fact nwfalcon, and he is also north american.

Someone just hates the truth. You know this isn't the first time I was "right all along", but in many other cases there were just too many people shutting me up. So I stand my ground. You can hate me all you want (I know technically Delacroix doesn't hate me, but in other cases it is the case).
User avatar
[kx]de_zeurkous
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:40 pm
Location: /u/zeurkous/
Contact:

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by [kx]de_zeurkous »

Me just hopes that the lesson is drawn from this that one should be
very cautious when ancient content, easily ripped & uploaded[0], is
offered for money.

[0] This is not like some '80s cartridge that takes specialized
equipment to dump the ROMs of.
--
Friggin' Machines!
User avatar
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 632
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 2:16 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Victor Delacroix »

[kx]de_zeurkous wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:56 am No way that Leo instigated it. El Platitan has the intrinsic need to
be more relevant than others (but not quite the capability to live up
to it, mind), and me'd argue that to a large degree, so do you. You
should've both considered the evidence on its own merits, and yet you
both attacked Leo for bringing it. Only self-important idiots attack
someone on form when it's clearly the content that disturbs them more.

That's me insult. Go focus on it, maybe it'll make you feel good.

(And just for the public record: the post in which Leo zeroth doubted
the authenticity of the "beta" appears to contain the gran' ol' total
of 0 insults. Anyone who did detect one please quote chapter & verse.)

Leaves me to note that w/ the unmasking of the previous fake "beta", Leo
learned his lesson. It appears that some big-mouthed people didn't, and
are hell-bent not to come out of this looking bad.
The only one looking bad here is you, calling people weird names "El Platitan", what is this even? Some sort of reference to me back when I had a Mass Effect phase or something? Ancient times so I don't really remember but even that sounds twisted and mocking. I don't care about my own "relevance" as you put it, but I DID demand firm evidence to the "beta" being fake. I disagree also with the "self important idiots" part. No, form matters. That's why people like AlCa are more respected than for example you. They don't jump to attacking, namecalling and useless mockery when engaging in a debate.

Also, Leo has only himself to blame when he uncovers a conspiracy, which this "beta" clearly is, and nobody believes him without firm evidence. There were plenty "conspiracies" in this game's communities Leo alluded to in the past, none really confirmed, until the two fake "betas". It's a similar story to the boy who crief wolf. Look up that tale, the lesson readers are supposed to get from it is very relevant here.

That being said, since it seems everyone here is now in the "beta" = fake camp, I'll no longer advocate for it. There will be a community-wide PSA coming up in a couple minutes, penned by me. Hopefully it will serve as enough of a warning to community members while also being a clear message to further pieces of garbage in the vein of nwfalcon or faiyadg - because I refuse to refer to those frauds as human beings. To me this is just trash, plain and simple. And I'll deal with it accordingly.
User avatar
[kx]de_zeurkous
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:40 pm
Location: /u/zeurkous/
Contact:

Q.E.D.

Post by [kx]de_zeurkous »

Image
--
Friggin' Machines!
User avatar
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Victor Delacroix wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:56 pm
Also, Leo has only himself to blame when he uncovers a conspiracy, which this "beta" clearly is, and nobody believes him without firm evidence. There were plenty "conspiracies" in this game's communities Leo alluded to in the past, none really confirmed, until the two fake "betas". It's a similar story to the boy who crief wolf. Look up that tale, the lesson readers are supposed to get from it is very relevant here.
I don't actually. I wanted to let this be but now that things went wrong and I have to stay where I am, I have a little more time to respond.

The story "the boy who cried wolf" - you made a typo btw - only applies if someone makes stuff up on purpose. This wasn't the case. And multiple of the things I came forward were true but heavily censored/shut down at the time. I often posted evidences but it was also shut down. Then I realized the story/motivation of people might be a little different but the evidence was still true.

The notion that I am the boy who cried wolf was first propagated by PCube on his website. Nice to see that those lies and misconceptions carried on from there, not to mention the whirlwind I was through that I am not going to get into now.

So...the lesson people should also get from this is that I shouldn't be easily dismissed.

EDIT: But you know what was the thing that often went wrong? People mocked me or insulted me, threatened me, sometimes privately out of sight. And it triggered me into exploding. And you know how that went. But because form over content was winning, I was then denied from presenting anything else, any post, etc.
Now I am much more in control of my emotions as I alluded to many times before. But really...I don't have *just myself* to blame. I wasn't born that way you know.
User avatar
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Leo T_C_K »

AlCapowned
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by AlCapowned »

This is Faiya's response to me asking about the build's legitimacy. Make of it what you will. I don't think this discounts the likelihood the build is fake, but I don't think they were trying to trick anyone.
Hey again,

I'm sorry to hear that some people are questioning the legitimacy of this disc. Here is the story of how I got this disc, as well as the other discs I got from the same source. Hopefully this will alleviate any concerns.

I'm a general prototype video- and computer game collector, so I regularly browse eBay for prototypes of all sorts of games, which is how I came across the seller with the Unreal Beta CD-R.

A couple years back (July 12th of 2022, to be exact; had to dig back through my ebay history), I found some ebay listings for PlayStation prototype discs as well as some PC prototype discs, sold by the Slovakia-based eBay seller "spottygreyhound" (https://www.ebay.com/usr/spottygreyhound?_tab=feedback). I bought a few of the prototype discs; I was mostly interested in the black and gold PlayStation prototype CD-Rs (the seller had more but didn't seem to want to sell them), but I went ahead and grabbed a few other proto discs which caught my eye after scanning their listings, and figured that maybe they'd have more prototypes available outside of ebay. After my purchases, I asked if they had any others for sale.

Sure enough, they had more, but they weren't listed yet, so I was directed to a photo gallery where they were uploading a bunch of prototype disc photos. I picked a few which seemed potentially interesting enough for me to buy. I sent collages of the photos of the discs I wanted to the seller, and they made custom listings for me so I could purchase them along with my other eBay purchases from them (please see the screenshot of my eBay purchases from them in my forthcoming PM). Based on labels, a lot of their remaining discs appeared to be CD-Rs of art assets and/or advertising materials used during development, but because I don't really care too much about collecting press materials or advertising documents, I tried to go after discs which looked like they'd have prototype builds of playable games. Among the photos they were uploading, I saw two Unreal discs which looked like they could be more than just marketing materials: one was the ad disc (which I bought, thinking that it said Apr 2, possibly a build date of April 2nd, but instead the handwriting turned out to be ADS 2... oops), the other was an Unreal Tournament disc which had Jay Wilbur written on it. At the time, I searched and saw that he was involved in development of Unreal Tournament (unfortunately, it turned out just to be a video of an interview he did, and not a game build beta disc from him).

When I got the discs in the mail, one of them was incorrect, and was a partial disc of an apparent set: The "WarZone 2100 Beta 1" disc that I bought from their eBay listing was shown in the eBay photo as a single disc with no indication of other parts in the listing or written on the disc itself, but what I got was the first disc of an apparent 2 disc set (note Disk [sic] 1/2 was written on what I got), which didn't match the photographed disc in the listing. I emailed the seller to see if they still had the photographed disc for sale so I could purchase that one as well. Unfortunately they'd already sold that one to somebody else, and didn't have any part 2 disc (said missing disc appears to now be on redump.org, amusingly enough), so instead of a return, they directed me to what was now a formal spreadsheet listing of their available discs, with the option for them to mail me a disc to make up for the WarZone mixup. One of the entries on the spreadsheet was for a disc labelled as Unreal Beta. It might have been among their prior photo stash, but either I overlooked it, or figured it was less interesting sounding, or later than, the one which I thought was labelled as Apr 2 on the case (again, this is what turned out to be the ADS 2 disc).

Based on the disc name and chance it could be interesting, I figured I'd take it to make up for the WarZone, in case it wasn't just more art files. They didn't have a whole lot left on the spreadsheet that caught my eye... so it it was kind of a "whatever, worth a shot, maybe it will be better than more marketing assets" at that point.

When I got the Unreal Beta CD-R, I checked it in my PC. After browsing the files, it seemed like it could be a potential game build. Probably when I went to make a rough ISOBuster backup of the CD-R, I investigated and compared the file contents against files in the final game, and noticed that the filedates were indeed mostly different from, and earlier than, those in the final build. I double checked for other Unreal prototypes/betas on the internet, and found a number of them had been shared online previously, but none of the dates looked like they lined up with the dates on disc I recievd. I tried installing the build and playing it, but it was password protected so I couldn't get it to run beyond that point.

Eventually I did a bit of reading about Unreal's development history and saw that there was a "Kill the Cow" mode cut near the end of development. I wondered if maybe mine had this mode still in it, but since I couldn't boot the build, I did the next best thing and searched in a hex editor to see if I could find any reference to "Cow" which wasn't present in the final build, and noted what looked to be a textual mention of Kill the Cow, which didn't show up when I searched the same in the retail disc file.

I also found the thread here on Beta Archive about Unreal, and since it seemed to still be semi-active, I signed up to ask if the beta build I received were already online, or if it were something new and unique. From the reply I got, it sounded like it was something different from what was known. At that point I thought "cool, guess this is something new," and only really thought about it occasionally, since I couldn't actually play it. And while I liked Unreal, I haven't really played it since it was new and didn't keep up with the series.

Eventually I became aware of other prototype game and advertising CD-Rs which seemed to come from the same Slovakian source finding their way online; among those were some of their other Unreal asset/ad discs (https://archive.org/details/redump-id-99014 and it looks like there's more on there in the same collection; I also see this images disc https://archive.org/details/redump-id-99170). The advertising discs that I can find uploaded on there seemed to hold different contents from the one I dumped.

Also of note, is that the Unreal Ads CD-R and Unreal Beta CD-R I have both are on the same type of old CD-R as eachother, as is one of the Unreal advertising discs somebody else posted online (linked above), as is the Total Annihilation Core Contigency Gold Master prototype disc, as is the early build of Rogue Trip for the PlayStation (see photos), all of which I purchased from the same seller at around the same time. Just like Unreal, Rogue Trip and TA Core Contigency were published by GT Interactive over the course of 1998, with the apparent burn/build dates of each proto CD-R all from around the same timeframe (mid-ish 1998), so it stands to reason that they all originated from somebody linked with GT Interactive at the time.

In the postimg gallery you will find photos of other proto discs I got from the same seller, as well as some screenshots of the discs I purchased on ebay, as well as some of the eBay messages to arrange for the replacement disc due to the WarZone mishap. Note that the 4 GT Interactive published items from 1998 are all on the same type of CD-R. The two discs of GT Interactive published games from 1999 (Unreal Tournament and Rampage 2 were both published by GTInteractive in Europe) are on the same type of TDK CD-R, and seem to match with the CD-R type used for some of Unreal Tournament assets dumped on Web Archive.

The WarZone disc is the one I received that didn't match with the seller's listing photo. What sounds like it could very well be the other disc of the WarZone set was obtained by somebody else and is currently listed on redump: http://redump.org/disc/107993/

If you'd like me to send you dumps from any of these other discs, feel free to let me know, as I'm more than happy to dump them and send them your way, especially if they'd help ease any concerns regarding the legitimacy of the Unreal beta. Some of them might not be too interesting in terms of their content, outside of the Rogue Trip prototype, which is clearly earlier than the final version, predating the final build by about 2.5 months and not matching the other prototype of it that I can find online. Rampage 2 isn't final either, though it seems to be a later version than another prototype build which I found online.

Long story short, I got the Unreal Beta CD-R and other protos from a seller who sold me, and apparently other buyers, several other legitimate prototype discs. This seller had a number of other legitimate prototype discs, as well as several legitimate Unreal marketing/advertising asset material discs. The same type of vintage CD-R that the Unreal Beta is on was also used for other legitimate GT Interactive-published marketing materials and prototype games, including at least two other Unreal advertising asset discs. The later Rampage 2 and Unreal Tournament Jay Wilbur CD-R type match with other Unreal and GTI marketing/prototype discs from the same era, as found on Web Archive.

https://archive.org/details/@apple_maci ... redump_org
https://archive.org/details/redump-id-99014

Please see photos of the discs and screenshots of some of my communications with the seller in the postimg gallery:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/tVGvByf
User avatar
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I can't see the photos now, however this seems overly complicated and I don't think I trust him.
Because the other guy from redump.org said he saw no disc labelled just "Unreal Beta" on that guy's sheet and it could have been easily faked, like you think he can't write with the pen on it to look similar like other ones? Besides the Ads CD has a completely different writing. Of course we can't fully discount the possibility, but nah it doesn't seem likely. I find it strange he took such a long time to respond each time, that time could have been accounted to make adjustments/changes to the beta.
Sorry but I don't buy this story as legitimate, after all he also talks about two unreal cds, the jay wilbur one for ut...with the video allegedly which could have been just burned from avaiable material, after all the "jay wilbur" vid appeared on many magazines and the evidence is just overwhelming including the deleted brushes left in the data that confirms it came from the retail release version.

This seems like that kind of story roninmastafx would make up. I don't trust it.

He obviously got that unreal ads 2 cd, that was confirmed by that other guy, but not this one, not the "unreal beta" one at all.

Just look when he first posted on betaarchive about it. Quite a long ago. Then after a year he started to finally communicate with me, but he didn't yet present any directories with lots of excuses. Or photos. That only came at the last moment. He only mentioned kill the cow and that there were possibly different number of maps the rest was speculation and theories.

Any mention of dmsolaris or anything else came way after *we* found out about that map's existence for example, yet this "beta" was allegedly in his posession for quite a while and he made no mention of it nor did he remember the name despite saying he compared the files? I don't buy these excuses. This is ronixmastafxV2
User avatar
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Leo T_C_K »

If we consider the possibility that he had the cd from someone else, we have to ask how did it get there in the middle of CDs that were real and already uploaded on redump.org for instance. I mean you have to really twist your head around.
I mean it would have had to be someone who has found all those articles and magazines before us and afaik some of them weren't uploaded until later.

Either way...those images I was searching for in the gamesharder picture collection are NOT there, so he either removed them (explaining that downtime of the mega folder) or someone else, OR he never had them in the first place. But both me and JackHonda saw those images. It is another evidence towards where material/inspiration for creation of this beta came from. In this case the old logos and other small details/things. It was a website on wayback machine that's for sure. But there's tons and tons of such links in the betaarchive thread and I am not even sure if it was posted there. Still its kind of strange that GH doesn't have it in that big screenshot collection.

Like there was a screenshot somewhere of a beta flyby and the translator icon did have that text on it (not sure if identical), but given the images were higher quality/resolution it was most likely just ripped from there and that's what I wanted to compare next. But I can't do that without those images.

Still...he argues about the authenticity, it seems like he doesn't realize what we found since and what Inoxx said. Besides inspecting one of Inoxx's maps revealed that there were those changes. I mean the skytown deleted automag and minigun might have been because whoever prepared this hoax (and I believe it was multiple people really, as I said there was a plan for frankenbuild) and wanted at first it to be identical to the gw press guide (including adding dmvilla2, morbfanza etc which would match with fayiadg's initial story) but then couldn't make it as plausible so they removed some things in the end when they decided not to.
if it was real then so could the nwfalcon beta if we follow this logic now. Then the argument of "Epic could have created the same UV maps and do revert changes" applies too. If we assume that *somehow* Inoxx deleted what he created like that planet scenery and everything, replaced it with Moon meshes/space shot instead and then reverted to it in the released game? No I don't think so, the dates all don't add up and are probably just dates when the hoaxers worked on it/last saved and then for convenience the year/month got changed so it looks plausible.

Or...we turn to supernatural explanations and Luke, like him sending me messages now if it has to do with Delacroix and that it reminds him of project Montauk and sending me link to 7th dimension something video. Do we go down that route? I am not even sure if the two things he wanted to imply are related and whether he just wanted to show me the video its just...you never know.
User avatar
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Leo T_C_K »

In those Ebay pictures https://postimg.cc/gallery/tVGvByf
I don't see the unreal beta being listed, so there's no proof. This is just distraction tactic. The other pictures are obviously taken by fayiadg. So that doesn't count.
EDIT: there is no pic of the beta but he talks about it with that greyhound guy....
but the responses are also inconsistent, like he first says he doesn't think he has that disc and then he thinks he does?

If it wasn't for that conversation, then it can be easily dismissed but...yea I don't know man. I mean it does feel inconsistent now.

What the fuck is even going on here anymore?

I mean of course onversations can be faked too/edited if you saved the html page of course...but that would be so utterly vile.

EDIT2: Dude I dunno really anymore what is going on. This whole thing is so weird. I mean I should have looked at all the pictures in that gallery before speaking too but I didn't have time.
User avatar
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:24 pm

Re: The April - May beta (unknown build) detailed discussion

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I suppose spottygreyhound himself should be asked then if its real that disc and how he obtained if possible...
I don't have eBay account so....
Post Reply

Return to “Unreal General Forum”