For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal in 2023

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Robaxlin
OldUnreal Member

Unreal in 2023

Post by Robaxlin »

Hi All

Robaxlin here,

Just decided to check on the Unreal Server browser to find that there was no one online at all across all gamemodes and this is a friday night.

How sad that this is the state of Unreal in 2023 since I consider it a real classic from it's era but I guess people have really moved on from it now..... :(

Regards,
Robaxlin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal in 2023

Post by Hyper »

The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Robaxlin
OldUnreal Member

Post by Robaxlin »

I guess there is hope yet but the fact that there are periods when no one is on at all is still concerning.

I'm hoping unreal redux will bring some old and new players back into the game to boost the numbers some more I don't want Unreal to be forgotten!
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

The game is 25 years old, the fact that there is anyone at all playing it is amazing. I don't see a cause of concern in the fact it's only active at certain times of the day/week, as most games have the same cycle. Usually people will connect during the week-end and the evening, though "evening" might be relative for you depending on where the most active community resides and in which timezone.
Many games more recent than Unreal are permanently dead with 0 players all year round, if they even have (master)servers still running.
You must construct additional pylons.
Robaxlin
OldUnreal Member

Post by Robaxlin »

Yeah I know the game is old now so I can't expect too many on anymore and also it being delisted from steam and gog by epic sure doesn't help either with bringing new players in.

I just noticed something there's at least 10 Unreal servers per player now so at least it's good to see that we will never be short on gamemodes or servers to play on which is a testament to the community built around the game.

Regards,
Robaxlin.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

It is what it is. The fact that we have a working game, with 24/7 server coverage to choose from and a few players to play with is already quite something for a PC game from 1998.

Truth is that there are other and better games now, old players have moved on or have died. The players that play now play out of nostalgia and usually only from time to time because they have work, kids and other hobbies.

Be glad with what we have. We have the community, we have all control of the game within the community.
We own a license to use a copy of the game.
We host our servers.
We make our game patches.
We make our mods and levels.
We host the master server.

By today's standards this is quite rare. Games like MMORPGs are amazing because they offer long-term progression and account development. But you are completely dependent on the game company to keep it running. When the game company decides that it is not profitable or not in the corporate strategy to keep the servers online it is over.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Robaxlin
OldUnreal Member

Post by Robaxlin »

I think you've summed it up quite well Hyper the current situation of the game.

It's commendable you still host your servers and website to the game after all of this time.

I guess I'm still passionate for the game since I was a child when it was released and it really blew me away with it's graphics and atmosphere especially and I expect others to feel the same but that's not always the case. People have life commitments and there are other games I get that.

At least here the game will never be forgotten.

Regards,
Robaxlin
Blu3Haz3
OldUnreal Member

Post by Blu3Haz3 »

I'm astonished people are still playing as well, though it is quite different than the glory days. If I could at all describe the path of it's age... the best I could say is: The first 5 years were full of heavy content creation, albeit mostly basic content like maps, skins, and basic mods. I can't forget the large clan bases as well, the deathmatch, 1v1 and tdm scenes were active with consistent daily games. Then years later it transitioned into bigger more interesting mods, total conversion mods etc, servers with the focus of daily new content. I often think of Zeke's server, Pcube's server, Shivaxi's server, Matrix and CW's servers so on and so forth in that order. If I forgot any, I apologize it's just been a long time. I think there for a short while Winged Unicorn ran one. But right after that time frame things really slowed down, there was still some activity in the development area but the diversity in servers were beginning to dwindle away. I hate to tie it to 227 but it might have been on course with that, maybe indirectly. After the 227 era came along, there was still some development going on, but ultimately... most of the playerbase moved on, the last several deathmatch players were retired. I'd call this roughly 2010 and onward, from that point onward most people were just playing on Zora's and Zombie Deadzone Co\op, I think this had something to do with South America getting the game finally.

I would hardly call what the state of the game is now an era, but if I could name it I would simply call it the quiet era. Very few people on the game still talk, there used to be a lot of young players that were still in middle school, including myself... I think of Matrix for instance there. What I remember most are the dozens if not hundreds of people I knew, and the good vibes and the many hours of having that community to fall back onto.

long live U_Off

Return to “Unreal General Forum”