For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Requesting a D3D9 Renderer for Dr. Brain: Action Reaction

Please add information, maps, mods, links or anything else related to Dr. Brain: Action Reaction here
AlphaYellow
OldUnreal Member

Requesting a D3D9 Renderer for Dr. Brain: Action Reaction

Post by AlphaYellow »

So everyone knows how bad the default Direct3D and OpenGL drivers are for UE1 games, and this is no exception. The only usable and performant one is Glide, but unfortunately has no widescreen support. So I'd like if someone would be able to make a Direct3D9 renderer for this game (uses build 224 of the Unreal Engine), since that's the renderer with the least stuttering and lags of all the UE1 renderers out there, according to my extensive testing. Thanks a lot.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Re: Requesting a D3D9 Renderer for Dr. Brain: Action Reaction

Post by Victor Delacroix »

Have you tried the OpenGLDrv renderer from OMP 0.2 for Unreal 224? Just tried to launch the game with it and works splendidly.

EDIT: also, in OMP 0.99 there are D3D8 and D3D9 drivers which DO work with Dr. Brain. Just checked!

All it takes is to replace the DLL, find it enclosed so that you don't have to look for the entire archive.

Even UnrealEd v1 works with the game by copying the UnrealEd.exe into the System folder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AlphaYellow
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlphaYellow »

Victor Delacroix wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:06 am Have you tried the OpenGLDrv renderer from OMP 0.2 for Unreal 224? Just tried to launch the game with it and works splendidly.

EDIT: also, in OMP 0.99 there are D3D8 and D3D9 drivers which DO work with Dr. Brain. Just checked!

All it takes is to replace the DLL, find it enclosed so that you don't have to look for the entire archive.

Even UnrealEd v1 works with the game by copying the UnrealEd.exe into the System folder.
Thanks a lot dude, they work without any lagging! Finally this game can be played in its full glory with good performance and visuals :D But I have an issue with either D3D8 or D3D9 renderers, the mouse starts moving by itself to the top left and I can't control it at all. Is there something I can change to fix it?

PS: I fixed it already, was a hidden dgVoodoo2 setting I had to change :'D
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Post by Victor Delacroix »

DGVoodoo shouldn't even be required with D3D9. If reso higher than 720p, just set it in Spore.ini.
AlphaYellow
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlphaYellow »

Victor Delacroix wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:53 pm DGVoodoo shouldn't even be required with D3D9. If reso higher than 720p, just set it in Spore.ini.
I'm using the D3D8 renderer with dgVoodoo2, as it's possible to make the HUD way bigger to match its size in lower resolutions, since it looks too small on 1080p and 4K resolutions. Forcing D3D9 to D3D11/12 with dgVoodoo2 still isn't too stable, unlike with D3D8 and earlier D3D versions.

Return to “Dr. Brain: Action Reaction”