For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

I'm hosting a server - for now

Anything related to the Real-CTF-Mod
Bane
OldUnreal Member

I'm hosting a server - for now

Post by Bane »

I decided to start hosting a RealCTF server, mainly because I love the mod so much, and haven't played it in, probably 3 years by now. I'll probably keep it up for at least a week (assuming I remember to start it each day), or longer depending on how many people play on it. I am running it from my college's dorm, so pings should always be low, even during downloads (However, you should still download RealCTF before joining it. its available in the mods section).

The server is run on the same computer I play on, and it is a piece of crap... I may also host my Hide and Seek server, at the same time as this, but I don't think it'd cause too much of a problem.

The server version is 225f, and neph 1.0 is installed on it.

Feel free to stop in!
Author of Hide and Seek mod, and the NALIBALL mod

Hide and Seek can be downloaded from:
http://HideNSeek.5u.com
TCP_Wolf
Administrator

Re: I'm hosting a server - for now

Post by TCP_Wolf »

Good luck... I love RealCTF but the trouble with it is always that it needs a lot of players, more than are usually around, and bots are not capable of capturing flags :-X
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

And if i recall correct, when i tried that, you cannot even capture the flag yourself, you can take the flag, but it refuses to give points till another real oposite player enters too.

But its long time ago i tried that, as said if i recall correct.

And if i get it done to get more than the one server running online, i will go run a CTF server. For now the router seems to block multiple servers.

The Celtic Warriors Euroserver running now is doing fine, low ping, and no complains so far :)

But its still a goal to have a normal, a CTF and a 2DUnreal server running.

Btw i still dunno the real difference between CTF and RealCTF.

But its definatelly cool if you run one :)
Bane
OldUnreal Member

Post by Bane »

Well, its up anyways. I've had a few people come in, mostly people that already had me listed under favorites. 3 people were playing for a while yesterday, but I had to write a paper and couldn't join them. At least this means people know it exists, and might start checking for it, to see if anyone else is in there. Who knows. A big game might start in there sometime.

Bane
OldUnreal Member

Post by Bane »

OK, I've had this server up for a few days now. I've noticed that people typically aren't willing to join the server if it's empty and idle in it, like they would for INF or any other more popular gametypes... but if I idle in there, every once in a while someone will join. I have had a few games in my server, most crowded was 6 people.
So, what I'm saying is... If people just idle in a RealCTF server (uh. without bots. personally, I wouldn't want to play with some stupid bots), people will come. It might take time, a few hours, but if they know the server exists, someone will join. If you can, just idle in a RealCTF server (ahem... such as mine....), as it'll encourage people to join. I'll join right away if I see anyone join my server in the log. People are definitely willing to play, a lot of people say they want to play, or miss this mod, or something similar, but just can't find any servers with people.

In other words, if you want to play, idle in my server and eventually someone will come. And check it (or any other server, really) for people, and play if you see someone in there. I've run into SO many people that want to play, and really wish that a good crowd would go into a server to play. So, check the servers! Play if someone is in one! And idle if you really want someone to show, few people like playing RealCTF by themselves.

Xavious
OldUnreal Member

Post by Xavious »

I had a little go in it, it's pretty fun.

Although i would strongly recommend switching to RealCreeper, it gives players more of a choice of different relics. I like the Ninja relic because it makes the beamer move faster.

Perhaps (although i think i suggest this to at least one person every week) we should try to set up some kind of CTF event, a competion or just a general practice session.

We could just say something like "If you want to play CTF on Unreal, come to Bane's server on a sunday night, we've always got players at that time."

Basically, there are some CTF servers out there, Angloid has one which always has 4 bots, but the bots suck. Royally.
As much as i try, i cannot seem to think of an interesting and amusing signature...I blame the stupid fools who stole all my ideas for decent signatures...

Fools...

I'll get you some day!
Bane
OldUnreal Member

Post by Bane »

Well I'm taking the server down sometime thursday, unless it suddenly becomes much more popular (I sadly haven't had too much time to play in it recently. god damn college), to put the semi-dedicated HnS server back up. However, if anyone wants me to after its down, I will put it back up... as long as enough people are interested. A 4v4 would be great, it's been so long, I haven't had one since SOBservers had a RealCTF server up, along with INF East and Central.

Return to “Real-CTF Board”