For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Monsters that look trough movers (doors)

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Monsters that look trough movers (doors)

Post by Rubie »

Hi,

I remember that there where some problems in earlier J versions from unreal, the problem was as mentioned.in the title from this topic.
My question is what has been done to fix this, are there somewhere documents about this, I would like to know more about this bug.

Thx,

Rubie
I have no signature :)
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Re: Monsters that look trough movers (doors)

Post by Masterkent »

227i and 227j have a feature called "enhanced sight check" which allows monsters to see players through transparent walls. It's controlled by flag GameInfo.bAlwaysEnhancedSightCheck which is enabled by default.

227i dedicated servers somehow handle opaque Movers similarly to transparent parts of level geometry, hence monsters may see through Movers when the "enhanced" method is enabled. Although this particular issue was fixed in 227j, the current implementation of "enhanced sight check" may cause weird behavior of monsters in other circumstances (f.e., see so I personally prefer to disable this feature entirely.
Last edited by Masterkent on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rubie »

So in fact if I would mutate this command on every map it would be better ?

"Set GameInfo.bAlwaysEnhancedSightCheck=false"

okay will check this out :)

Ty for info.

Greets,

Rubie
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

So in fact if I  would mutate this command on every map it would be better ?
You can simply set bAlwaysEnhancedSightCheck to False in your game config file (Unreal.ini or whatever you use as the game ini file).
Last edited by Masterkent on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rubie »

227i and 227j have a feature called "enhanced sight check" which allows monsters to see players through transparent walls. It's controlled by flag GameInfo.bAlwaysEnhancedSightCheck which is enabled by default.

227i dedicated servers somehow handle opaque Movers similarly to transparent parts of level geometry, hence monsters may see through Movers when the "enhanced" method is enabled. Although this particular issue was fixed in 227j, the current implementation of "enhanced sight check" may cause weird behavior of monsters in other circumstances (f.e., see so I personally prefer to disable this feature entirely.

does this apply to Unrealtournament servers too ?
or is ver 436 clean from this bug ?
Anyway need to check this out 451b versa 436
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

does this apply to Unrealtournament servers too ?
As far as I remember, UT99 has no anything like "enhanced sight check".
or is ver 436 clean from this bug ?
In v436, bots and ScriptedPawns can see through movers on dedicated servers, but this bug differs from the similar one in 227i. In UT, it's not related to some special sight check method for transparent level geometry and the set of affected functions includes Pawn.LineOfSightTo (bots and monsters try to attack the enemy behind a mover as if the mover did not exist at all). My knowledge about UT stuff is very limited; I presume, UT modders could tell much more about this glitch.
Last edited by Masterkent on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rubie »

Ok thank you for all this information.

Greets,

Rubie
han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

I think parts of the ai visibility code uses FastTrace / in 227 eventually the version which checks for transparency. However in stock UE1 engine on dedicated servers the moving brush tracker never gets used, nor the update for it called (which is done during rendering setup), and hence Mover geometry not filtered into level geo and hence nonexistent for FastTrace.
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.
Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rubie »

ah okay, ty Han, but I was thinking like this: if it can be fixed on unreal it maybe can be fixed too for UT coop servers with a kinda "mod" that fix this transparency from movers, as is realy weird now to see this behavior from the monsters hehe. I know there are smart guys (womens) over here, so I tought I will post this first on OU and see what happens, maybe Need to move this topic to UT board, sry for this .

Greets,

Rubie

Return to “Unreal 227”