For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Problems on linux(ubuntu 16.10) - cannot run the game

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
azn
OldUnreal Member

Problems on linux(ubuntu 16.10) - cannot run the game

Post by azn »

Hello, I'm trying to run Unreal on Ubuntu 16.10, on Samsung RV515 laptop(just wanted to check is it going to be playable on this machine).

Firstly it was complaining about some SDL libs but installing it for the i386 architecture did the job.

Now, when I try to run the game I get this:

Code: Select all

alzen@alz-samsung:/mnt/barak/Gry/windows_installs/UnrealGold/System$ ./UnrealLinux.bin 
Processors / Cores 2
Forcing CPU affinity disabled.

History: 

Exiting due to error
I see no error message so I do not even know what's wrong. I do not know where is the log file as well. I only see black screen for a while and after a while it goes back to the desktop.

EDIT:

Silly me, found the log file in System dir, UnrealLinux.bin.log. The only thing I see wrong is:

Warning: Failed to load 'Class ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem': Failed to find object 'Class ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem'
Warning: 
Critical: appError called:
Critical: 
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Exit: Executing USDLClient::ShutdownAfterError
Exit: UOpenGLRenderDevice::ShutdownAfterError
Log: appRequestExit(1) 
Log: Log file closed, Tue Jan 17 22:41:45 2017
Tried to change audio subsystem to fmod but it didn't help.

Anyone?
Last edited by azn on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: Problems on linux(ubuntu 16.10) - cannot run the game

Post by Smirftsch »

to verify it's sound only issue you can try to run it with -nosound parameter. Then often log is cut off, so perhaps append -log, so you'll see everything what's there directly in the console.
Should look like this: ./UnrealLinux.bin -nosound -log

If using 227i then ALAudio is also bound to FMod3 for music output and since happening with fmod too there is probably the cause, you may want to check if your system has fmod3 installed and if not it should be in the convenience libs which are in the help directory. Copy libfmod.so to your system directory (not sure anymore, maybe it was libfmod3.so or something and needs a symlink to libfmod.so)
Last edited by Smirftsch on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

ldd *.so | grep "not found"
will reveal missing or broken dependencies if executed in the system folder.
Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azn
OldUnreal Member

Post by azn »

Hello, the -nosound option works fine so I was able to check that my laptop is much too little powerful to run U1 properly, I mean, it works ok but not as smooth as I expected it to run.

Anyway, thank you all for help.

Return to “Unreal 227”