For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Semi public release of 227j

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Re: Semi public release of 227j

Post by Neon_Knight »

Still worth getting a look. Perhaps default music volume to 64 and the rest to 192 or 128?
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Incredible news. This is awesome! ;D
Everyone who's still making content to this game and updating it, you guys keeping this 24+ years old game alive. U_Off U_On
Hats off to the 227j patch team.
Officer D
OldUnreal Member

Post by Officer D »

I'm grateful to still be alive to witness this. Didn't think I'd make it. :)
My only complaint so far, is how the Brush Clipping pins don't align on grid anymore and can only be fixed by adjusting the location. I always preferred brush clipping over the 2D shape editor because it wouldn't add unnecessary vertices, which then needed the polygons to be merged. Sure I can intersect the shape editor brushes, but that's too many extra steps where one simple brush cut would do the trick. It's just unfortunate. But on the other hand, the windows 10 viewport mouse bug is now fixed which is probably the biggest update for me. That shit made me stop using the UEd. Now I can use it again thx
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Smirftsch, Everyone,

I installed 227J on my Unreal1, which was updated to 227i, long ago. The game was also patched with the latest HD Ultimate graphics requiring D3D11 renderer to work. The game functioned properly. Here is what transpired after I installed 227J:

The game wouldn't launch properly after I selected D3D11 renderer in the options you get when you first run the game. I got 2, maybe 3 error messages, which I dismissed. After I dismissed the error messages, the game then proceeded to display the screen you always get, where you can select options, etc.

However, the resolution was way off, and none of the options were available to select. The spaces to make selections were blank. So I couldn't do anything.

Even so, on the keyboard, I pressed the Tilde key to see what happens, and low and behold the Advanced Options window opened in Unreal. In there, I selected XOpenGL as the driver and closed the game.

I then opened the Unreal.ini in Unreal System on the hard drive. I changed the resolution to 1920 x 1080 and relaunched the game. This time the game launched with the correct resolution with all the options available to select, as usual.

I then in-game opened the Advanced Options to select D3D11 renderer, as I was using it before. The option to do that displayed words to the effect the D3D11 failed to load. I redownloaded and installed the D3D11 renderer, but that move didn't fix the problem.

The game works fairly well using the XOpenGL drivers, but the failure to get D3D11 renderer to work causes the HD ultimate graphics not to function.

Bottom line: I can't get the game to run or to recognize the D3D11 renderer device. Also, the Unreal.ini doesn't include any D3D11 renderer options, though it has all the other renderer options, like D3D9 OpenGl, etc..

Since the D3D11 renderer options were missing from the Unreal.ini file, I copied it from my old Unreal.ini file (I saved a backup), and I pasted it into the 227J Unreal.ini file. That clever move didn't fix the problem.

Unreal 227J does not recognize D3D11 renderer, at leas not for me. That's my story, so far. Any comments?

Fred
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Fred wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:22 pm Smirftsch, Everyone,

I installed 227J on my Unreal1, which was updated to 227i, long ago. The game was also patched with the latest HD Ultimate graphics requiring D3D11 renderer to work. The game functioned properly. Here is what transpired after I installed 227J:

The game wouldn't launch properly after I selected D3D11 renderer in the options you get when you first run the game. I got 2, maybe 3 error messages, which I dismissed. After I dismissed the error messages, the game then proceeded to display the screen you always get, where you can select options, etc.

However, the resolution was way off, and none of the options were available to select. The spaces to make selections were blank. So I couldn't do anything.

Even so, on the keyboard, I pressed the Tilde key to see what happens, and low and behold the Advanced Options window opened in Unreal. In there, I selected XOpenGL as the driver and closed the game.

I then opened the Unreal.ini in Unreal System on the hard drive. I changed the resolution to 1920 x 1080 and relaunched the game. This time the game launched with the correct resolution with all the options available to select, as usual.

I then in-game opened the Advanced Options to select D3D11 renderer, as I was using it before. The option to do that displayed words to the effect the D3D11 failed to load. I redownloaded and installed the D3D11 renderer, but that move didn't fix the problem.

The game works fairly well using the XOpenGL drivers, but the failure to get D3D11 renderer to work causes the HD ultimate graphics not to function.

Bottom line: I can't get the game to run or to recognize the D3D11 renderer device. Also, the Unreal.ini doesn't include any D3D11 renderer options, though it has all the other renderer options, like D3D9 OpenGl, etc..

Since the D3D11 renderer options were missing from the Unreal.ini file, I copied it from my old Unreal.ini file (I saved a backup), and I pasted it into the 227J Unreal.ini file. That clever move didn't fix the problem.

Unreal 227J does not recognize D3D11 renderer, at leas not for me. That's my story, so far. Any comments?

Fred
The DirectX 11 renderer is not compatible with Unreal 227j. The renderer is a project made by a 3rd party developer for Unreal 227i. I don't know if this developer will or can update it for Unreal 227j support. For now you have to choose to either use Unreal 227i with DirectX 11 or use Unreal 227j with xOpenGL or DirectX9.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
rick54321
OldUnreal Member

Post by rick54321 »

There is something wrong with semisolids. Made a separate thread about it.

Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hyper,

Thank you for the prompt response. I didn't know that 227J is incompatible with D3D11, and that's the truth. Now that I know, i'm bummed out. I hate it when that happens.

I have a backup of my 227i which I'll just copy back from the thumb drive on which it resides. No big deal. I just like to be up to date on things, that's all, and the truth, ha.

Fred
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Fred wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:22 pm ...the HD ultimate graphics not to function.
That is simply not true. The HD graphics pack hasn't been updated for 227j yet.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

yes, HD graphics do work with D3D9, OpenGL and XOpenGL.
What is not working however are the hd texture replacements for embedded (MyLevel) textures, but this only a very very small part of the hd textures.

Check here: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealhdtextures/home
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Casey, Smirftsch,

I'm using these textures, made for D3D11 renderer:

12Capture.JPG

Those are what I'm referring to when I mention "don't function." Yes, there are HD textures that work without using D3D11 renderer. No big deal, just saying.

I had some earlier HD textures installed and working before I installed those requiring Direct 3D 11, pictured above. I don't know which textures worked yesterday with 227J, the earlier versions or those for Direct 3D 11. I noted that some were working. I've already reinstalled my 227i Unreal version from backup.

Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Fred wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:22 pm Smirftsch, Everyone,

Fred
You should be aware that the D3D11 renderer is a) not maintained officially by anybody on OldUnreal and that b) its "official" maintainer abandoned it (apparently for a Fanwork Ban from Epic's part, which is really weird as Epic (even these days) doesn't indulge as much on Fanwork Ban except for veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery specific instances such as ZeroPing for UT), so no chance of a v227j version of the renderer.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-direc ... ersion-162

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Neon_Knight,

Yeah, I didn't understand, when I installed those textures requiring Direct 3D 11, that I'd run into problems down the road. I'll ad this lesson to my long list of other things I don't understand. There's always stuff!

Fred

Edit: According to the information at the site Neon_Knight referenced, Epic Games objects to D3D11 renderer because:

"NO LONGER SUPPORT FOR UNREAL TOURNAMENT 99 OR ANY OTHER UNREAL TOURNAMENT GAME IN THE FUTURE RELEASES OF THE RENDERER,
AS THE EPIC GAMES COMPANY IS ALLEGEDLY NOT PLEASED WITH SUCH GRAPHICAL UPDATES TO THESE TITLES (EXCLUDING MAPS AND TEXTURES)."

Why not pleased?
Last edited by Fred on Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reborn
OldUnreal Member

Post by Reborn »

New bugreport: UnrealEd x64 SoftDrv renderer does not working
"procedure entry point ?OnCreateObjectNew@Uobject@@UEAAXPEAV1@@Z not found in Core.dll"
Tested on Windows7 x64
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Fred wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:59 am Casey, Smirftsch,

I'm using these textures, made for D3D11 renderer:

12Capture.JPG

Those are what I'm referring to when I mention "don't function." Yes, there are HD textures that work without using D3D11 renderer. No big deal, just saying.

I had some earlier HD textures installed and working before I installed those requiring Direct 3D 11, pictured above. I don't know which textures worked yesterday with 227J, the earlier versions or those for Direct 3D 11. I noted that some were working. I've already reinstalled my 227i Unreal version from backup.

Fred
You could try the HD4K version with Unreal 227j x64 version. This one no longer has the 4GB memory limitation that the 32-bit version has so it should allow for plenty of RAM to be used for textures.

Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hyper,

Thanks for the suggestion to use those alternate HD 4K version textures. I've been eyeing those. I'm wondering whether I need to remove those textures I already have installed that require D3D11 before I install the alternate version?

Maybe installing the alternate version simply overwrites those I have already installed? I'm not sure what rooting out my currently installed textures may do to the Unreal system.

I thought that 227i and 227J patches make Unreal large address aware, not? Or do I have to use a 64K version of the patch? I didn't know there are different versions of the patch (32K and 64K).

Fred
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Fred wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:49 am Neon_Knight,

Yeah, I didn't understand, when I installed those textures requiring Direct 3D 11, that I'd run into problems down the road. I'll ad this lesson to my long list of other things I don't understand. There's always stuff!

Fred

Edit: According to the information at the site Neon_Knight referenced, Epic Games objects to D3D11 renderer because:

"NO LONGER SUPPORT FOR UNREAL TOURNAMENT 99 OR ANY OTHER UNREAL TOURNAMENT GAME IN THE FUTURE RELEASES OF THE RENDERER,
AS THE EPIC GAMES COMPANY IS ALLEGEDLY NOT PLEASED WITH SUCH GRAPHICAL UPDATES TO THESE TITLES (EXCLUDING MAPS AND TEXTURES)."

Why not pleased?
From what I was remembered about, false advertising as well as messing up with the clipboard (replaced its contents with a donation link). So yeah, the guy victimizes himself for things that are his fault.

Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Fred wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:12 pm Hyper,

Thanks for the suggestion to use those alternate HD 4K version textures. I've been eyeing those. I'm wondering whether I need to remove those textures I already have installed that require D3D11 before I install the alternate version?

Maybe installing the alternate version simply overwrites those I have already installed? I'm not sure what rooting out my currently installed textures may do to the Unreal system.

I thought that 227i and 227J patches make Unreal large address aware, not? Or do I have to use a 64K version of the patch? I didn't know there are different versions of the patch (32K and 64K).

Fred
I always recommend to save the existing ones temporarily. Then try the new 4k ones. If it's not good, remove the new ones and put the old ones back.

ExpEM
OldUnreal Member

Post by ExpEM »

ThorMeetsHulkInGrandmastersArenaYYYYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.GIF

So excited over here!
Thanks going out to all that have worked to bring this patch together!

Two things I've noticed so far:
- Installer isn't dropping the AddVolume Icon into the System64 editorres folder.
- The texture browser is "squarifieing" the textures using the Width Axis as a base, 32*128 is displayed as 32*32 and 256*64 is displayed as 256*256 etc. (with display set to variable -> 100%)
Reborn
OldUnreal Member

Post by Reborn »

ExpEM wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:00 pm - The texture browser is "squarifieing" the textures using the Width Axis as a base, 32*128 displayed as 32*32 and 256*64 is displayed as 256*256 etc. (with display set to variable -> 100%)
Yes. Fixed size also has a glitch. 128x256 displayed half of the texture
https://ibb.co/2d9c9rX
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

Just to clarify on HD textures with 227J from me, the releaser of the HD packs. They are fully working - the “normal” utx version. Since the DX11 renderer is not compatible with 227j, the “external, dx11 only” hd textures also are incompatible.
Many people have assumed that the external hd textures are required when using dx11. This is not true. In fact the normal utx hd textures have better performance under dx11. They are really for people who want to use unrealed and keep the the orginals intact. Or have original textures with dx9, opengl, etc, and have hd under dx11.

Use the utx hd textures!

The HD skins mutator also works fine with 227j

To answer Freds question, if you have the external dx11 hd textures installed under 227j, you don’t have to remove them. They will just sit there taking up 10gb, but it won’t break anything. But I would remove them.

https://sites.google.com/view/unrealhdtextures/home
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

ahaigh01,

Good to see that you check this forum to provide us with the information we need. You know your stuff. You suggest that it would be beneficial for me to remove those textures in Unreal made to work with D3D11 renderer, since they are incompatible with 227J. I already found this out, the hard way. Ha!

Just to clarify, to make sure I understand your suggestion, I should remove those textures in Unreal with the extension of .dds, correct? Also, then I should leave those textures with the extension of .utx, correct?

There sure are a lot of those .dds textures installed. I love them. Even so, I know that the HD .utx textures are also great and good to look at. I'll be installing those, the latest version. Even so, i already had some HD .utx textures installed, those made by Diehard. I installed those long ago.

Thaks much,

Fred
joeydonbaker
OldUnreal Member

Post by joeydonbaker »

Reborn wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:29 pm New bugreport: UnrealEd x64 SoftDrv renderer does not working
"procedure entry point ?OnCreateObjectNew@Uobject@@UEAAXPEAV1@@Z not found in Core.dll"
Tested on Windows7 x64
Get similar error when starting a server from ucc with 227j public release.

ucc server Vortex2.unr?Game=JCoopZ1.JCoopZGame?Difficulty=3 INI=Unreal.ini log=log\server -server -timestamplog

ERROR:
UCC.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point ?Release@UObject@@UAGKXZ could not be located in the dynamic link library Core.dll.
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

Fred,
Yeah its fine to remove the .dds files because the latest .utx version is identical in every way graphically. Also the old Diehard .utx files were only about 50% complete. Now the HD packs are fully completed. You can just overwrite with the with the latest v3.5 utx pack.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

ahaigh01,

Thanks, buddy. We have to keep Epic Games happy. I don't know why they don't approve of D3D11 stuff, but that's the way the mop flops. I'll get rid of those .dds graphics files, asap.

Fred
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Just to give you some update.
227j has a lot of- mostly not critical - but annoying little bugs and glitches yet. Most of the reported things are fixed already by now, so I am planning to go "full" release with 227k very soon.

Thanks for all the testing feedback we got already from you!
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.

Return to “Unreal 227”