For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Semi public release of 227j

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Re: Semi public release of 227j

Post by Hyper »

I had a SSD laying around so I made a little project to revive an old laptop of 2010. Intel Arrandale processor Core i5-560M
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrandale

It does not have AVX1 nor AVX2 support and Unreal x64 crashes upon launch. The Win32 version runs fine as long as I don't use xOpenGL. (Don't bother fixing xOpenGL on this one. It only supports OpenGL 3.3) And D3D9 runs great.

If it is very easy you can consider adding a proper error message: "The x86-64 version of Unreal 227 requires a CPU with AVX2 instructions. Your CPU does not support this. Please use the 32-bit version instead". If it is much work, don't bother adding it I guess.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

Smirftsch wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:30 am if there is still some (Linux) issues, let me know.
Yeah, XOpenGL visuals are heavily bugged for me. Same for UT. Reported on Github.
Smirftsch wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:30 am As for the hassle with needing wine to get the files from the installer, sorry, didn't mean to take longer for 227k for which I planned to release also as archive such as bz2 or so then.
Unlocking the repo will solve the problem instantly.
napalicreature

Post by napalicreature »

Congratulations on such a wondeful project! I'm glad Unreal is still alive and well.

It seems I can no longer disable multitexture in 227J. Setting it to false makes no difference in D3D8, D3D9 and OpenGL/XOpenGL (running on Windows 11).

Is this by design? Has the setting been deprecated? Or is it a bug?
ametller

Post by ametller »

First of all thanks for the patch. Such a huge number of improvements!

I have one problem though and itis that, when installing it on my older computer with 32bit Windows XP, the patch installer doesn't work. It complains about being a bad win32 application. Will there be a compatible X86 x32 patch installer?

Thanks,
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

ametller wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:18 pm First of all thanks for the patch. Such a huge number of improvements!

I have one problem though and itis that, when installing it on my older computer with 32bit Windows XP, the patch installer doesn't work. It complains about being a bad win32 application. Will there be a compatible X86 x32 patch installer?

Thanks,
Maybe the used compiler generates code that is not compatible with Windows XP anymore. Do you have patched your XP to service pack 3? In some cases this may help with compatibility. I haven't seen a list of system requirements for 227j.

If you have a computer with a newer Windows version you can try installing it there and copying the installed copy over to your XP machine. But this may also fail to run because the Unreal 227j executables have also been compiled with a newer compiler.

Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Actually we considered to drop support for Win XP (NOT 32b support!) at some point after we had some trouble with the compiler and this setting. I also doubt very much that the number of XP users is significant yet in any way justifying the additional hassle to keep everything compatible.

That being said a personal note of mine: I do not understand why people even use WinXP, it's insecure, there is no recent driver support, limited software. On the same machine a recent and still up to date Linux version could be installed which may be at least equally fast, maybe even faster (f.e. if the underlying CPU is 64b capable already, which definitely may be the case). I do know this requires some efforts, but is also beneficial in many ways.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

well they probably run winxp in a simulated environment that might be cut off or only partially open to the internet. Just like what I had to do as precaution on windows 7 already, as I will not switch to anything newer.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Smirftsch wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:42 am Actually we considered to drop support for Win XP (NOT 32b support!) at some point after we had some trouble with the compiler and this setting. I also doubt very much that the number of XP users is significant yet in any way justifying the additional hassle to keep everything compatible.

That being said a personal note of mine: I do not understand why people even use WinXP, it's insecure, there is no recent driver support, limited software. On the same machine a recent and still up to date Linux version could be installed which may be at least equally fast, maybe even faster (f.e. if the underlying CPU is 64b capable already, which definitely may be the case). I do know this requires some efforts, but is also beneficial in many ways.
FYI: Windows XP also has an x86-64 version, which is based on Windows Server 2003 x64. Yes, it's also out of support by some years now.
But this actually was the OS I used for my Unreal game servers for many years until I moved to Windows 7 and now 11.

Reasons why you may still see XP and other outdated OS-ses being used to run Unreal: Nostalgia!
Users who like old games like Unreal 1, may also like vintage hardware and/or OSes. Maybe they have a hobby project to bring an older PC back to life and run some older games on it like Unreal 1 and then seeing how they can optimalize Unreal for that specific hardware.

I'm not at all saying you should support this with Unreal 227j+. Just pointing out some usage scenario's. Others may want an old Windows 98 machine with Voodoo Graphics and then the Epic patches 225/226f/Gold are perfect.

tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

Hyper wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:20 am
Smirftsch wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:42 am Actually we considered to drop support for Win XP (NOT 32b support!) at some point after we had some trouble with the compiler and this setting. I also doubt very much that the number of XP users is significant yet in any way justifying the additional hassle to keep everything compatible.

FYI: Windows XP also has an x86-64 version, which is based on Windows Server 2003 x64. Yes, it's also out of support by some years now.
But this actually was the OS I used for my Unreal game servers for many years until I moved to Windows 7 and now 11.

Reasons why you may still see XP and other outdated OS-ses being used to run Unreal: Nostalgia!
Users who like old games like Unreal 1, may also like vintage hardware and/or OSes. Maybe they have a hobby project to bring an older PC back to life and run some older games on it like Unreal 1 and then seeing how they can optimalize Unreal for that specific hardware.

I'm not at all saying you should support this with Unreal 227j+. Just pointing out some usage scenario's. Others may want an old Windows 98 machine with Voodoo Graphics and then the Epic patches 225/226f/Gold are perfect.
this is fake, lazy nostalgia imo. nothing vintage in using two-bob, run of the mill hardware from 2 decades ago.
I however know people who get their kicks from doing really extreme stuff - dabbling deeply with hardware like HPPA, SPARC. Sun Ray etc... (these are but the tip of the iceberg) At home. Now that's proper. Not whining that something doesn't work on your Celeron running WinXP. Nothing special in that.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Hyper wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:20 am Reasons why you may still see XP and other outdated OS-ses being used to run Unreal: Nostalgia!

Sure, that's perfect valid, but then as you said yourself already- those people also can easily rely on one of the older versions and probably wouldn't even want to use latest patch version :)
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

If the purpose is to play authentic-era only. Some of them might have a different purpose.
joeydonbaker
OldUnreal Member

Post by joeydonbaker »

joeydonbaker wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:49 pm Hello, since updating to 227j public release, my security.ini for any new players that join the server, the PlayerIP= doesn't have an IP any more. Example below:

LogList=(PlayerNames="Player",PlayerIP="",ClientID="-1989172854",ClientIdentNr="1796994086")
Bump on this please. I built a new server from scratch, fresh install of Unreal Classic, patched with 227j final public release, joined the server and it still doesn't log the IP any more in security.ini. I thought perhaps it was a remnant file or conflict from previous patches as the server had been patched prior with several different versions of j. So I thought clean install and patch directly to j final would solve it but it didn't.

I've tried several different game types, same result. Is there perhaps a server variable that makes it log the IP? Never had any problems with 227i and also the beta j I was running previously (227j_42_update_16).

LogList=(PlayerNames="Thomas",PlayerIP="",ClientID="1432114095",ClientIdentNr="-406513960")
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I had some issues running this, (more like failing due to library errors) so I deleted it and reverted to one of the in developement installs (but not too long before the public release version).
I might wait for 227k for next time.
Jules
OldUnreal Member

Post by Jules »

This is a minor issue, but I feel like pointing it out anyway. On Linux, the splash screen is not shown. Upon starting the game, I get the error
"SplashImage init error: Parameter 'src' is invalid"
Any clues?

Also, I'd like to suggest adding a proper menu option to disable texture filtering in the next release, if such a thing is possible. Yes, there's the NoFiltering variable in the .ini file, but the in-game results look somewhat broken. Entering "Set Texture bNoSmooth True | Set Actor bNoSmooth True" works nicely however, though it'd be nice if there were an easier way to do this. I'm sure most players out there aren't even aware this option exists.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Reborn wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:28 am
Smirftsch wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:05 amTested SoftDrv here and it seems to load without problems too, but this very much looks like a mixup of dll's from different versions, such as 227i files or 64b files with 32b files- you get the idea.
Running 32 and 64b server versions are the most tested things and known to work.
Please verify that again.
https://ibb.co/z5mcQVJ
I do not used 227i - installed the patch on original UnrealGold from Unreal Anthology (2006)
Tested on Windows7 x64 with all updates and all instaled Visual C++ Redistributable packages
This was tested on two different computers.
1) I selected "software rendering" in viewport menu
2) "procedure entry point ?OnCreateObjectNew@Uobject@@UEAAXPEAV1@@Z not found in Core.dll"
3) and next window - "Failed initializing renderer SoftDRV.SoftwareRenderDevice"
Unreal.exe and UnrealEd, only x64, only software rendering
(in x86 all working)

Maybe the reason is in the operating system.
I had similar issues myself, so I ended up reverting to one of the developement versions where this didn't happen.
BIr4
OldUnreal Member

Post by BIr4 »

Today I tried to enter the site, and it returned "Page not found". Can anyone tell me what happened?

https://github.com/OldUnreal/Unreal-testing/
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

BIr4 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:32 pm Today I tried to enter the site, and it returned "Page not found". Can anyone tell me what happened?

That's GitHub being bad. The project is still there.
GitHub probably logged you out, and GitHub is wrong with their error messages.
What it should read: Access denied (Please log in with an account that has access to this project)
What it actually reads: 404 Not found

BIr4
OldUnreal Member

Post by BIr4 »

Hyper wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:58 pm
BIr4 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:32 pm Today I tried to enter the site, and it returned "Page not found". Can anyone tell me what happened?

What it should read: Access denied (Please log in with an account that has access to this project)
Wow and now? How will I ever get to see this one again. Is it necessary to request an invitation?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

you know, it really feels like the computer world is starting to fall apart fast these days. Nobody seems to agree on any standards anymore and everything is tuned for needs of stupidphone users. I mean I literally have to fix up orders of companies and e-shops these days. Its really all gone down.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

BIr4 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:55 pm

Wow and now? How will I ever get to see this one again. Is it necessary to request an invitation?
If you got access in the past, just log in again with the GitHub account that has rights to that repository. If you never got access, you need to get accepted as beta tester and given access to the project.

BIr4
OldUnreal Member

Post by BIr4 »

Hyper wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:51 pm
BIr4 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:55 pm

If you got access in the past, just log in again with the GitHub account that has rights to that repository. If you never got access, you need to get accepted as beta tester and given access to the project.
It was accidentally deleted. Then I looked in deleted repositories, but it doesn't appear. Going through the link is "404". One of the accounts had been accepted as a beta tester. And there is another one that I believe needs to be accepted. I PMed Smirftsch. Will if he add the two solves it? Because I was already a part of, I don't know how to re-add it.
lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Post by lowenz »

First post link is dead.
Github repo is no more update since Jul 31, is this right? So the repo is now the actual release candidate for 227j?
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

lowenz wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:00 am First post link is dead.
Github repo is no more update since Jul 31, is this right? So the repo is now the actual release candidate for 227j?
First post link of 227j download work fine. Make sure you actually click the link because the OldUnreal download server uses a referrer check. (And make sure your browser actually sends a referrer on this site)

lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Post by lowenz »

Hyper wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:16 pm
First post link of 227j download work fine. Make sure you actually click the link because the OldUnreal download server uses a referrer check. (And make sure your browser actually sends a referrer on this site)

404 Page Not Found
The page you were looking for is not found.
Please use our search engine or navigation above to find the page.
tlk
OldUnreal Member

Post by tlk »

lowenz wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:37 pm
Hyper wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:16 pm

404 Page Not Found
The page you were looking for is not found.
Please use our search engine or navigation above to find the page.
https://www.oldunreal.com/patch/unreal/ ... tch227j.7z works for me

the wait for the officially official release continues tho)

Return to “Unreal 227”