For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Can you change the height of the player in Unreal v227?

Report bugs, read about fixes, new features and ask questions about the Unreal 227 patch here. Place comments and commit suggestions.
Devil Master
OldUnreal Member

Can you change the height of the player in Unreal v227?

Post by Devil Master »

Now that I know how it can be done, I'm having fun converting Duke Nukem: Critical Mass levels to Unreal. However, there's a little problem. The ratio between the original size of the level and the size it needs to have in Unreal to look realistic.
Technical specs for Duke Nukem: Critical Mass state that 1 unit equals 1 meter, and I had originally read that 1 unit in UnrealEd equals 2 cm, so, in order to keep the proportions correct, I had increased the size of the original level files to 5000%. This, however, is not exact, and the level remains too big (a hand railing reaches the head of the player character).
Now I have two courses of action: either making the level smaller (which would imply re-exporting every component object and re-importing them as static meshes, then re-associating each texture to the mesh in the right order) or making the player character bigger. I'd rather follow the second method, because it would be quicker, but... can it be done?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Can you change the height of the player in Unreal v227?

Post by Hellkeeper »

Devil Master wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 2:56 am Now I have two courses of action: either making the level smaller (which would imply re-exporting every component object and re-importing them as static meshes, then re-associating each texture to the mesh in the right order)
Or scale down the entire map.

This little tool by Sidewinder does just that : http://hellkeeper.net/files/MapScale-v20.zip
Unfortunately his site has been defunct for years, but I had what I think is the latest version.
Devil Master
OldUnreal Member

Post by Devil Master »

Hellkeeper wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:33 pm Or scale down the entire map.

This little tool by Sidewinder does just that : http://hellkeeper.net/files/MapScale-v20.zip
Unfortunately his site has been defunct for years, but I had what I think is the latest version.
Does it work on static meshes too?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Probably not as it was made for UT99 ten years ago, but I don't know how it works, so it might at least position them correctly by changing their coordinates to reflect the scale change. In this case, the meshes will be offscale but have the correct coordinates. If it acts on actors' drawscale, to scale them down, static meshes will be scaled down correctly too.

If it doesn't scale static-meshes, you can do it yourself and it'll probably take only a few seconds. If you apply a general 0.75 scale to the entire map with mapscale, for instance, select all you meshes and scale them manually to 0.75 (assuming you meshes are all fitted to the current scale and have drawscale = 1). Then reposition if needed. Unless you have a titanic map with hundreds of meshes, it should only take a few minutes.
You must construct additional pylons.

Return to “Unreal 227”