For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Issues playing a old demofile (.dem) through console

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
asmd.lover
OldUnreal Member

Issues playing a old demofile (.dem) through console

Post by asmd.lover »

hi again guys,
after a long time i didn't play a old demo likely made with 224v patch i can't play it now using unreal gold and 227i patch..
i installed UTeamFix_R9b which was suggested as a prerequisite to be able to play this demo but when i launch the command "playdemo demofile" i suddenly get killed in the waiting room xD, instead i can play normally demos recorded by myself in botmatch or servers.. i see the directory hosting demos has changed now, no more the system one but there is a dedicated one now in ugold 227 -> the "demo" folder
it's a pity to cannot play more this demo, as it is a duel among 2 very great players.. it was so cool to assist to, i remember well..
if anyone could help me it was really appreciated, i could upload the file here if can be useful, thanks in advance
Last edited by asmd.lover on Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unreal, likely the Engine of my dodging life xD
.:..:
OldUnreal Member

Re: Issues playing a old demofile (.dem) through console

Post by .:..: »

Due to the nature of how Epic made demo files, its very specific to what engine version you try to playback them on.
Best bet is to just use 224v to view that demo again.

Other then that you can look at your Unreal.log after attempted playback failure to see for clues to whats wrong with it.
Last edited by .:..: on Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
asmd.lover
OldUnreal Member

Post by asmd.lover »

thank you for your feedback, honestly i don't know if installing the 224v over the 227i could corrupt some of my settings, i play regularly every day in the evening, so it would be a little annoying to set up again if something goes wrong.
that's what i have in Unreal.log file after the error of demo launch..

Code: Select all

Log: Attempting to play demo nas.dem
Warning: Tried to open an invalid actor channel!
Log: Assertion failed: Level [File:.\UnChan.cpp] [Line: 646]
Warning: NULL object
Log: Assertion failed: Level->IsValid() [File:.\UnChan.cpp] [Line: 647]
Warning: Tried to open an invalid actor channel!
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I'd suggest a parallel installation, or make a copy of your System folder with a different name, you only need to change paths in Unreal.ini to make it point to another folder:

I have a folder for each version,
System224
System225
System226f
System226b
System227i
etc. etc.

and corresponding to that in the in the folder residing Unreal.ini:
[Core.System]
Paths=../System224/*.u

other than that most other files are identical in 224 and 227, maybe just UWindowFonts need to be changed.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
OldUnreal Member

Hmm it seams as when loading demo files, it doesn't check what generation to use but that information is there. I could implement that... could you send me/link me to that demo file and I will see if it works?

By generation I mean which package version was used to record the demo (i.e: if its 224/225/226/227).
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
asmd.lover
OldUnreal Member

Post by asmd.lover »

Thanks Smirftsch and thx again .:..:, i would try firstly to send the file but i cannot see an attachment button in pvt messages window or normal reply window
OldUnreal Member

Yea this site doesn't have that, you'll have to upload it elsewhere.
(ಠ_ಠ)
asmd.lover
OldUnreal Member

Post by asmd.lover »

ok, .:..: try to get it from here:
https://gofile.io/d/M6vhrD
OldUnreal Member

Well good news, got it working under latest 227j version.
(ಠ_ಠ)
asmd.lover
OldUnreal Member

Post by asmd.lover »

Those are great news! =) did you enjoyed it?
So i have to upgrade to 227j not before saving my unreal.ini and user.ini files to save my settings?
Tell me please what i have to do and congrats and thanks for your work and help man!

EDIT:
i can't find 227j patch here in oldunreal, neither in other unreal archive sites suggested in the FAQs.. anyway i have read that i can not use my old unreal.ini file with the new patch so i wonder how to keep my settings, what specific lines i need to copy in the new .ini file,
i wait for your news
Last edited by asmd.lover on Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”