For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Need Information for Installing the Unreal HD Mutator

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Need Information for Installing the Unreal HD Mutator

Post by Fred »

I downloaded the Unreal HD_V1.zip file containing the HD graphics Mutator.  When the update patch 227i first came out I installed it for Unreal back when.  I don't recall whether I installed the classic version or the gold version, but it has the classic interface when starting the game.

I understand that I need the gold version to make the mutator work.  My 227i version has no mutator options window, so I must have the wrong version to make the mutator functional. I installed the mutator, but I can't make it functional.

Today I downloaded the 227i gold patch for Unreal, which I understand includes the patch for Na Pali.  I haven't installed it yet.  Read on to get to my question.

I don't recall how I managed to install the gold patch update for Na Pali since it has the gold version interface, which contains the option to enable the HD graphics mutator.  I installed the mutator in Na Pali, and it seems to be working.  I also installed the mutator in UT99, and it seems to be working as well.

So here is my question:  Can I install the 227i gold patch in my Unreal game without messing up Na Pali, since Na Pali is working with the mutator?  I'm trying to make less work for myself.

Thanks, Fred
Last edited by Fred on Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Re: Need Information for Installing the Unreal HD Mutator

Post by Fred »

All,

I did a Google search, and I found a site that gave me the information I needed to get the HD mutator  enabled in the 227i game version that I already have installed.

The site inlcluded information about how to select the user interface that has the option to enable mutators.  The place to do this is in Advanced options > Drivers > Console.  You than select  UMenu Browser Console.  I did this and enabled the HD mutator.

It's now enabled and I assume that it is working.  I'm not sure what to look for, but you know what they say about assume.

The site I found is located at ut99.org.  The site has a lot of useful information.  Like they say, you learn something every day.

Fred

Edit: Can someone tell me what files I should see in Unreal > System, or elsewhere? I'm interested in determining whether the proper files got installed for this mutator.
Last edited by Fred on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Look at your Unreal log file and see if the mod is loading. That's always the first step. If you have trouble understanding the log you can PM it to me and I'll look for you. There's not going to be sensitive information in a client log so don't worry.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

gopostal,

I don't know how to copy the system log, so I just manually copied 8 lines that look like those that apply to your question.  These 8 are all that I found, but I may have missed something or made a typo.  Let me know whether this information is sufficient.  Here are the lines:

1. Log: SetClientTravel: Vortex?Difficulity=1?Mutator=OldWeapons.OldMutator.HDSkins.Mut.HDSkins 0

2. Log: Brouse: Vortex2Difficulity-1?Mutator=OldWeapons.OldMutator.HDSkinsMut.HDSkinsMut?Name=Dork?Class=UnrealShare.FemaleOne?Skin=Female1Skin.gina?Team-255

3. Log: LoadMap: Vortex2?Difficulity=1?Mutator=OldWeapons.OldMutator.HDSkinsMut.HDSkinsMut?Name=Dork?Class=UnrealShare.FemaleOne?Skin=FemaleSkin.gina?Team-255

4. Scripting: Init Game: ?Diffiulity=1?Mutator=OldWeapons.OldMutatorHDSkinsMut.HDSkinsMut?Name=Dork?Class=UnrealShare.FemaleOne?Skin=FemaleSkin.gina?Team=255

5. ScriptLog: Mutators OldWeapons.OldMutator.HDSkinsMut.HDSkinsMut

6. ScriptLog: Add Mutator HDSkinsMut.HDSkinsMut

7. Log: 42579.Oms Loading: Package HDSkinsMut

8. Log: 42581.Oms Loading: Package HDSkins2

Those are the only lines I noted.  I have two mutators enables as follows:

1. OldMutator

2. Unreal: HDSkins

What says you?

Thanks, Fred
Last edited by Fred on Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

I'm not sure if this is a typo but this section:
"OldWeapons.OldMutator.HDSkinsMut.HDSkinsMut"
is troubling. There should be a comma between the mods and not a dot. That makes a huge difference.

Start a game, load in, then close the game out completely. Drag the 'Unreal.log' file over to your desktop and then email me. It's agutgopostal at hotmail dot com. Attach that log file to the email. I really need to see the actual log.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

gopostal,

I attached and emailed the log this morning. That is, morning in Arlington, VA.

Fred
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

I replied to your email. Your log was fine, the mods are loading and there are no errors.

If you are unsure of the visual then unload the HD mod from your game and take a screenshot (F9). Compare that with another shot taken at the same spot with the mod loaded. You should immediately see the difference. If you don't then let me know and I'll help you dig in further.

It's kind of weird. The differences in the HD versions of the textures suddenly 'pop' for you when you realize what you are looking for. As soon as your brain knows the difference you'll see them everywhere. Until then it's a sort of odd blindness that you can't immediately see them. At least that was my experience.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

gopostal,

I made some screenshots both with and without the HD mod.  I shut down the game in the normal manner to view the screenshots. I then decided to launch the game to make some additional screenshot.

When I lauched the game again, I got the following error:

Failed to enter C:\Unreal\Maps\Unreal.unr: Can't find file for package 'flyby'

The game was working properly before.  I lauched the map Unreal.unr with UT99 and it ran that map, so there's more to this problem.  I have no idea.  What should I do?

Fred

Edit: Update: I modified the Unreal.ini, and I changed the:

Local Map=Unreal.unr to Local Map= EntryII.unr

That change at least allowed Unreal to launch. It wouldn't launch at all with the Local Map set to Unreal.unr.

Even so, I couldn't launch any other map while in EntryII. No matter what map name I entered in the console, it always couldn't find some Package.

Maybe some simple fix? Beats me!
Last edited by Fred on Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Usually, no response means that no one has a solution. Sooo, I think I'll just reinstall Patch 227i to see whether that move fixes my issue. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Fred
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

Usually, no response means that no one has a solution.

I answer as soon as I get time. A really great way to get ignored by everyone is to post things like this. We all have lives, jobs, family, issues. Never expect prompt daily responses from the community.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

gopostal,

Sorry, I didn't know my comments were offensive. Certainly, I never make offensive comments knowingly.

Anyway, I reinstalled 227i and it didn't fix my problem. I still get the same error message as before. That is:

Failed to enter C:\Unreal\Maps\Unreal.unr: Can't find file for Package 'Flyby"

Maybe I'll have to reinstall everything from scratch. Before I do that, I'll wait to see whether someone has an idea. I'll be checking back.

Thanks,

Fred
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

gopostal, All,

You won't believe this.  I looked at the Unreal file structure in Windows 10 File Explorer (formerly Windows Explorer), and I noticed that all the Unreal Music files had been moved from the Music folder to the Save folder.  No idea how that happened.

I moved all the music files back to the Music folder and the game started normally.  Go figure.  Strange things happen.

Reinstalling Patch 227i and the Epic Patch 226 Final, which I did, were totally unnecessary, but did no harm.  The HD texture mod is back in business. Call me happy camper.

Fred
Last edited by Fred on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”