For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal Vehicles

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
PRIMEVAL
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Vehicles

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Works perfectly for me.
darkninja333
OldUnreal Member

Post by darkninja333 »

Wait is unreal gold and unreal itself do anything different?
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

No. Just that it doesn't work with the D3D renderers, you have to use OpenGL.
.:..:
OldUnreal Member

Post by .:..: »

It should work on all Unreal versions from 224 up to 227.
Why dosent it work? does it crash? if so, post error log here.
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
darkninja333
OldUnreal Member

Post by darkninja333 »

No actually nothing happens at all. I try summoning the vehicles they dont summon i try opening them in unreal ed and it dosent pop up.
darkninja333
OldUnreal Member

Post by darkninja333 »

Okay nvm i finally got it working. I tried changing to open gl and it worked.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Told ya. Those vehicles textures don't have MipMaps for some odd reason. "Auto generate mipmaps"?
OldUnreal Member

#exec TEXTURE IMPORT FILE="Harbinger_LL_002.bmp" NAME="Harbinger_LL_002" GROUP="Skins" MIPS=on FLAGS=0 TEXFLAGS=0
They DO have mipmaps.
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

#exec? Why not UEd->Import->OK All?
And why won't mipmaps work then? D3Ds complain only about them.
Chaos13
OldUnreal Member

Post by Chaos13 »

Maybe cause UEd is unstable like hell and dots needs #execs to import models from UCC Make?
Skydev = Chaos13 = Dimension4
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

Hmm? I did it with my MM7 textures and it works fine in all UT, U1 and U1(227) versions...
Feralidragon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Feralidragon »

I found a really big bug in your vehicles. In UT, all work fine online except the firing, I can't simple fire any vehicle weapons in a online game (dedicated server).
Chaos13
OldUnreal Member

Post by Chaos13 »

I am surprised it works at all in UT
Skydev = Chaos13 = Dimension4
Feralidragon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Feralidragon »

I am surprised it works at all in UT
Yeah, it works, if you take a look into the code there's no reason to not work offline, there's nothing dependent on any unreal specific package and the Unreal Engine is the same. The only thing that could not work, is online, and it works ;D but it only has that big online no-weapon-fire bug in the vehicles, it's just a matter of right replication statements to be apllied (of course this is not that easy as talking) :-/

EDIT: OMG, the v1.6 is there already with that fix? Now I feel dumb. Sorry...
Last edited by Feralidragon on Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feralidragon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Feralidragon »

As I saw you can script native side, there's any chance on making the Vehicle Physics native side?

It's ok if you want to let these only UScript side, I just only see a lot of more potential on these if they are coded native side, that's all ;)
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

But hey, Vehicles were the main change Epic made from UE2 to UE2.5! So obviously to make good support it would need a lot of native coding?
Feralidragon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Feralidragon »

But hey, Vehicles were the main change Epic made from UE2 to UE2.5! So obviously to make good support it would need a lot of native coding?
It depends on how realistic the vehicles would be (collision, environment variables, traction, etc). In this case I just asked if what was scripted UScript side, could be done in native side instead (talking about VehiclePhys here).
I never scripted native C++ for Unreal or UT (but I will try to learn of course), so I can't say exactly what the dificulty of this is, but I imagined that it could be high.

If only Shadow (or someone else) could finish the mesh system work by moonangel, with extended collision and stuff, it would be more easier to script stuff (i guess).

But as the collision isn't extended in any way, all what I ask is that the complex a more resource demanding UScript side functions, could be handled in native side to give better performance and good online support, that's all I ask.

If it can be done, great, if not, that's ok too, then I just have to use the UScript ones instead, with no problems so far (as these vehicles are the greatest ones for Unreal and UT at the moment).

If just someone could finish or fix that new mesh system by moonangel with extended collision and stuff, then join it to these vehicles, man, I can't even imagine how great it would be.
Last edited by Feralidragon on Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feralidragon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Feralidragon »

A simple reply would be nice... :-/
Feralidragon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Feralidragon »

Sorry to revive this thread, but I need to ask something to Dots about his vehicles:

Dots, why didn't you use the vehicle attachments with the Physics=PHYS_Trailer instead of coding SetLocations?

Think about this, it would be a big improvement in your vehicles performance and it would reduce pings everywhere online, it wouldn't be laggy sometimes.

You just have to make the attachments to calculate their PrePivot relative the the Owner rotation (the main vehicle), set the bSameRotation thing to False. The rest of the code would be maintained, and so, the Location update would be handled in native, while the attachment itself would handle the PrePivot values.
I say this because I made this in some projectiles I made for one weapon pack I made.
The trail Prepivot would be correctly updated this way:

Code: Select all

var vector PrePivotRelative;

function Tick( float DeltaTime)
{
      local vector X, Y, Z;

Owner.GetAxes( Owner.Rotation, X, Y, Z);

PrePivot = PrePivotRelative.X * X + PrePivotRelative.Y * Y + PrePivotRelative.Z * Z;

}
The SetLocation way, very laggy, but the Trailer way, non-laggy at all, and the attachments don't have collision, so everything's cool. You would just set the Prepivot to the Offset from the vehicle and done.  ;D

So, when you have time, tell me something about this way, a flaw or if it's really possible to aplly in your vehicles.
OldUnreal Member

Nope, I wont apply this as I am already working on a native version of vehicles.
And no, setlocation isnt that what causes lags online, it is the network replication order: if vehicle turret actor is sent over to client before vehicle base it makes these so appearing "lags".
Last edited by .:..: on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(ಠ_ಠ)
Feralidragon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Feralidragon »

Oh, ok, I'm glad to hear that you are working in native side ;D

But it would reduce a lot of the lag turrets updates in the UScript side version, but well, I learned something today and I will wait for the release of the native side ones ::)

So far, very GJ, keep going
Feralidragon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Feralidragon »

So, any news on the native side?
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Physics updates are working correctly, it all seems fine except for that the vehicles mysteriously lose collision for no apparent reason
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

;D Ghost Vehicle! Like a super Nightshade!
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Well its more like the vehicles have collision to the client, but on the server they don't..

Return to “Unreal General Forum”