For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

SabreCSG - T3D Importer for Unity!

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Henry00
Administrator

SabreCSG - T3D Importer for Unity!

Post by Henry00 »

Dear Old Unreal Community,

I have created a T3D (UnrealEd map file) importer for SabreCSG. You can import any map you want into Unity Engine. Here are some examples:

DmDeck16.unr:

(at the time there was a bug causing some boxes to go missing, this has been fixed since)

Entry.unr:

Join our new SabreCSG discord channel if you'd like to chat! https://discord.gg/pFAS5rK
Henry00

My programming team, 00Laboratories:
[link]http
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Re: SabreCSG - T3D Importer for Unity!

Post by yrex . »

Nice.

The way I did that before was doing a huge deintersect, converting to static mesh, exporting OBJ, and doing everything else manually...

I wonder how stable is the BSP rebuilder here. I mean, even the Unreal's one isn't perfect.

The first thing I tried importing was Aztec, which probably was a terrible idea... The only thing I can see is the Rebuild button being pressed and some activity in the task manager...
My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlexNitro44 »

I've used SabreCSG before in my own Unity projects - I did have problems regarding holes in generated meshes, granted this was 4 months ago.

It usually takes a while to rebuild, with little indication that it is doing anything other than monitoring CPU usage in Task Manager. It is nowhere near as robust as Unreal's implementation (concave brushes in particular cause problems)- I tried importing one of my maps into it, I had to stop the rebuild after ~30 minutes due to Unity using over 12GB of RAM!

There are a couple of issues with the importer at the moment: You need to add a large additive brush before the imported map that encloses it entirely, and any brushes that have a PostScale value applied to them in UnrealEd import as if it was set to 1,1,1.[reason]Noted concave brush issues[/reason]
Last edited by AlexNitro44 on Thu May 24, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry00
Administrator

Post by Henry00 »

The large additive brush is mentioned in the [?] window next to the import button. SabreCSG is theoretically a lot more powerful than Unreal because it doesn't use BSP, no weird corruptions, no weird holes, essentially allowing infinite detail. However it only supports Convex brushes at the moment. Importing Unreal maps is a bit of a gamble. Most of the default Unreal maps I tested work properly.

Here's three things to try:
1. do not enable "Auto Rebuild" when importing.
2. press the "Force Rebuild" button instead of "Rebuild".
3. disable "Optimize Geometry" in the "CSG Model" settings.

Most maps are a matter of seconds for me when doing it like that. As for the scaled brush, is there a good stock map with that so I can test it? I have been unable to export such a brush, it keeps removing the PostScale and just applies it instead (or please feel free to send me a map with such a brush).
Last edited by Henry00 on Sun May 27, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henry00

[link]http
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlexNitro44 »

DmAriza is a good stock map to test: it has a reasonable brush count, and contains brushes that use MainScale and PostScale. Unfortunately there are concave brushes in this map (notably for the terrain).

To keep the PostScale value after entering it, you need to set Editor > Advanced > AlwaysPermanentBrush to False in the advanced options of UnrealEd. Otherwise any rotation or scaling will be applied permanently to the brush vertices.

DmAriza uses this value in the upper portion of the skybox: the upper subtractive brush and the cloud layer have a PostScale of (2.25, 2.25, 2.00). This is not taken into account when importing the map: the size ends up at 16 x 2 x 16 instead of 36 x 4 x 36 for the subtractive and 16 x 0 x 16 instead of 36 x 0 x 36 for the cloud sheet.

This map takes a while to build (~5 minutes), and shows many invisible polygons (likely because there are concave brushes in this map). It also logged 81 instances of "Zero normal found" in the console.

MainScale also doesn't seem to be taken into account: The grass brush at the bottom of the map is much smaller than it should and in the wrong position - the value for this brush is (25.531862, 45.196823, 5.306604).
Henry00
Administrator

Post by Henry00 »

Thank you for the detailed feedback AlexNitro44!

I have fixed the brush scaling. DmAriza is essentially a single concave subtractive brush and it's breaking a lot assumptions. It's causing the additive brushes within it to disappear. A lot of holes and corruptions can be fixed by disabling "Optimize Geometry" in the "CSG Model" settings as the optimizer is very strict about brushes being convex.

Please give it another try (although DmAriza probably won't work for a while longer until we build a new and improved CSG algorithm)! :)
Henry00

[link]http

Return to “Unreal General Forum”