For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Just got Unreal Gold...and I need help on some things :)

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
XenophobicSkaarj
OldUnreal Member

Just got Unreal Gold...and I need help on some things :)

Post by XenophobicSkaarj »

After so long, I finally decided to upgrade my old Unreal 1 vanilla to Gold (and patching it to 227i as well) after buying it on Steam. I slowly transferred everything i owned from the older Unreal there but ran across a wierd issue when browsing through my skins before the transfer.

The SKTrooper Skins don't work...at all. Yet when I installed my custom ones they showed up with no issues, but the vanilla ones still never appeared. I changed the "bHumansOnly" to false on every gamemode, thinking this might override something but still came up empty. The SkTrooperSkins.int file seemed normal too. Strangely the vanilla Nali skins work though...if that makes any sense.

Also I'm looking for some recommendations on fun custom single player levels or campaigns that only work on Gold, since i could not play any before. There are so many out there and I would really like to hear from you guys on any good ones 8-) (excluding Unreal Nightmare, which was a blast to play)
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Re: Just got Unreal Gold...and I need help on some things :)

Post by Masterkent »

The SKTrooper Skins don't work...at all.
Do you have a possibility to choose SkaarjPlayer as your player class? Note that player class and skin are different things. A player class determines the mesh (shape), default health, collision properties, and other aspects of your character; skins determine only textures which cover the mesh.

So, if you don't even see the Skaarj class in the menu, then make sure that

Code: Select all

Object=(Name=UnrealI.SkaarjPlayer,Class=Class,MetaClass=UnrealShare.UnrealiPlayer,Description="Skaarj")
is present in the Public section of UnrealI.int.

If you don't see the list of skins, try to change your SkTrooperSkins.int to

[public]
Object=(Name=SkTrooperSkins.T_Skaarj1,Class=Texture)
Object=(Name=SkTrooperSkins.T_Skaarj2,Class=Texture)
Object=(Name=SkTrooperSkins.T_Skaarj3,Class=Texture)
Sometimes SkaarjPlayer class cannot be used. In particular, some game classes do not allow to use SkaarjPlayer regardless of bHumansOnly - e.g. UPakSinglePlayer (as well as its derived classes) which is used by default in Return to Na Pali.
Last edited by Masterkent on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XenophobicSkaarj
OldUnreal Member

Post by XenophobicSkaarj »

I double-checked both the UnrealI.Int and SKTrooperSkins.int files and everything was normal. I can select the Skaarj class itself, but only the "custom" skins are showing.
I tried removing the .int files related to all my custom SKTrooper skins just to see if something might be blocking access to the regular skins. (Except of course the vanilla SKTrooperSkins.int file which remained untouched)

Now i'm stock with the class itself without any possible skins on it except the base class (the Trooper/Infantry variant)...I tried playing on a multiplayer deathmatch game, tried solo against bots but still no skins so I can only select the Skaarj Class itself.
SKTrooperSkins.int showed the correct lines:

[public]
Object=(Name=SkTrooperSkins.T_Skaarj1,Class=Texture)
Object=(Name=SkTrooperSkins.T_Skaarj2,Class=Texture)
Object=(Name=SkTrooperSkins.T_Skaarj3,Class=Texture) 

As you can see, there are no Skin options by default :(

Oh and this is after i re-added my 4 "custom" skins for the Skaarj Class:

I can select them with no problems  :-?
This occured before i even transfered anything at all from my old non-gold Unreal and patched it to 227i, the skins just don't show up at all from a fresh install of Gold on Steam.
Last edited by XenophobicSkaarj on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

I checked the implementation of UMenu in 226b and 227i. These versions do not display skin names prefixed by T_ (probably, Epic/Legend didn't want to include team skins (whose name starts with T_) in the list and skaarj skins were excluded as a side effect). This issue has been resolved in 227j already.

In case of 226b/227i, you can try to specify your skin via console command, e.g.

open Dig?Skin=SkTrooperSkins.T_Skaarj2
or in User.ini

[DefaultPlayer]
Name=
Class=UnrealI.SkaarjPlayer
Team=255
Skin=SkTrooperSkins.T_Skaarj2
Alternatively, in case of 227i, you can try to replace UMenu.u with this one:
https://www.upload.ee/files/8001408/UMenu.u.html (back up the original file before replacing)
Last edited by Masterkent on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”