For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Trouble Connecting to Online Servers - Unreal Gold

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Applauce

Trouble Connecting to Online Servers - Unreal Gold

Post by Applauce »

Hello all! First time using these forums, so let me know if I made a mistake in posting this here. I’m trying to help a friend get Unreal Gold up and running on their laptop. He got a copy of the game from someone and I helped over the phone with downloading and installing the OldUnreal 227 patch. Overall the game itself works when playing offline. He can play botmatches and everything just fine. He can open the server browser and sees all the servers too. But when he tries to connect to any and it starts downloading the assets, the game crashes and he gets the error in this picture. If the link doesn't work, the error says:

Critical Error

ReadFile failed: Count=0 BufferCount=-356825 Error=Invalid access to memory location.

History: FCompactIndex<< <-ULinkerLoad< <FName <- (LinkerLoad Transient.LinkerLoad 709081)) <- FObjectImport<<<- LoadImportMap <- ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad<- UObject::GetPackageLinker <- VerifyPackages <- UGameEngine::LoadMap <- AttemptLoadPending <- TickPending <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

He gets that when connected via Ethernet or Wifi. I was able to get it working on every other computer I personally installed it on, but this is my first time running into an issue. Since I’m trying to help over the phone I’m not sure what might’ve gone wrong. Does anyone know what this error means?
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Re: Trouble Connecting to Online Servers - Unreal Gold

Post by Kajgue »

Heya, I just wanted to ask if you'd had any luck solving this issue? I notice that your thread ended up getting overlooked, so it could do with a bump.

Which 227 version are you using, and what is your Unreal version? Unreal version as in, do you have the original retail release, or Unreal Gold/Steam/GoG release?
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
BobIsUnreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by BobIsUnreal »

Read file typically probably means a corrupted or mis-read file.

The error is mostly usless without the context,
if its avalible. Check the unreal.log file and try to figure the last thing it did or loaded before it crashed.

It's happening in the context of multiplayer so it could be a file you never use in single player, or a file that tried to download from a server and got downloaded corrupt.

Try the map/ game you crashed on , in offline play.
Test and make sure entry.unr entry2 etc also loads.

Try to start a lan game , if that failed try to start a game with the same setting as a practice match. To see where it failes.

Other wise you need to know what file its loading elsewise, maybe ipdvru,ntegratyserver, or somthing.
Applauce

Post by Applauce »

Hi guys! Thanks for the bump! He's using 227i on Unreal Gold.

He switched to a different computer and got it working, so I'm thinking it may be an issue with the Unreal file on his other computer. I'll have him try all of those troubleshooting steps to see if it helps.

thx
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

No problem! Glad he was able to find somewhat of a temporary solution atleast. thumbsup
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard

Return to “Unreal General Forum”