For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Epic will remove Unreal games from online stores (and make UT3 free)

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Epic will remove Unreal games from online stores (and make UT3 free)

Post by Leo T_C_K »

So back to being abandoware with Unreal? I'm stopping to understand all this honestly.

I suppose that means they'll shut down the master server for UT (again) after they reinstated it after gamespy one fell...
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Nice, so what they're saying is : you can't buy these games anymore, and if you already own them, you're restricted to solo offline play.
Nice sucker punch. Unreal and UT will be fine thanks to OU's and third party master servers and UT3 is supposed to come back better integrated to Epic's current platform, so that leaves U2 and UT200x in the trash. It's the end of the end after all.
You must construct additional pylons.
Skrilax_CZ
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skrilax_CZ »

Kinda curious if there's more official interest to have a "OldUnreal" style solution for UT2004 with community master server.
lowenz
OldUnreal Member

Post by lowenz »

We must make pressure to release the source code/assets of Unreal 2 and the beta build.............
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Hellkeeper wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:58 am Nice, so what they're saying is : you can't buy these games anymore, and if you already own them, you're restricted to solo offline play.
Nice sucker punch. Unreal and UT will be fine thanks to OU's and third party master servers and UT3 is supposed to come back better integrated to Epic's current platform, so that leaves U2 and UT200x in the trash. It's the end of the end after all.
U2, as in U2XMP has been running a custom master server for a while so not really in the trash as such.

I mean that was the game where they stopped the master server the earliest very soon after legend was forcibly closed down.

Psst, I even received secret photos of the event when they got closed down. Everyone looked sad and angry and the Atari boss was bossing around.

INBEFORE UNREAL2 SNYDER CUT HAPPENS NOW IN THE WAKE
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

lowenz wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:02 pm We must make pressure to release the source code/assets of Unreal 2 and the beta build.............
Yes. Hashtag

#U2SNYDERCUT

*suddenly Bono appears*

NO! DiFFERENT KIND OF U2!
Stylez

Post by Stylez »

So now that these games are becoming abandonware, does anyone know an alternate way to get them.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Stylez wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:56 pm So now that these games are becoming abandonware, does anyone know an alternate way to get them.
My answer:
Stylez

Post by Stylez »

Gamesharder wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:36 pm My answer:
While I support yar har’ing for games that you can’t get anymore, I never actually did it for PC games because I didn’t know how to do it safely compared to retro console games.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

I completely understand.
You need to be cautious when doing such things.

In all seriousness though, I'm really disappointed in Epic by this news.
Epic was one the few gaming companies I had no issues with (as they made Unreal, UT and etc...)
Abandoning UT4 because Fortnite is the money maker? I can understand. It hurts, but I can at least understand.
But this...? C'mon now.
Show some respect to the game franchise that lifted you up and got you where you are now.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

those similar topics lol...down below

time for luke to become the CEO? Is this what the forum software is suggesting? :D

No but seriously, I am not that surprised. Epic did a lot of missteps in the past already and now it just shows. What we got great in Unreal etc was mostly thanks to the artists and creative people.

But...this was coming miles away honestly, in fact it should be surprising they even started the master server back when the gamespy one went down.

There is a similar topic on ut99 with some more opinions.

also what a comedown from that nightdive plan news to this..
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:34 pm U2, as in U2XMP has been running a custom master server for a while so not really in the trash as such.
For as long as I remember, there's been 0 players on that custom MS. :-X
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Hellkeeper wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:23 am
Leo T_C_K wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:34 pm U2, as in U2XMP has been running a custom master server for a while so not really in the trash as such.
For as long as I remember, there's been 0 players on that custom MS. :-X
Nah, it was populated at one point, later on it became more of a scheduling thing with other players, like if you told them on xfire or something that you were there there were some that would come. I also remember that Abraxas would come in after idling on his server for a while even without sending a message. But the most activity tended to happen during, for us europeans, nights, because mostly it was US players that were left and were willing to play. So unless you could stay up late in night there wasn't much action going on.

But remember how niche u2xmp has became and there were some h4xxorz and cheaters roaming around too, making it difficult for other players. Like there was a guy who bound firing for his mousewheel and used some glitches that made him way faster than any other player and that's just the start of it. The game barely got any custom anti cheat stuff and was kind of rushed in so this is not surprising. Again lack of new players and these idiots seemed to have mostly killed it. Because what fun is it if you go play on some server and then there's this one ranger dude aimbotting you with his ultra fast magnum pistol? yea...fuck that lol and that was at the time where i could easily beat many other players in a duel. But that guy was just impossible, using to his advantage "l33t accesorries" on top of hacks. That makes a world of difference.

Also using some of this "l33t" hardware does constitute for a hack especially for games that weren't designed in mind with it.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I wanted to add one thing...

I'm sure that....

Epic will MAKE UT GREAT AGAIN! :D
karios

Post by karios »

There should be at least OpenSpy with regards to UT2004.

http://beta.openspy.net/en/supported-games
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

This is pure bullshit... I had some pretty tasty matches on the 2003 demo servers a few years ago until they shut the master server down for that as well.
Gaming is dead. Long live "STEAM" and all the other money drains.

Rome is the mob. Conjure magic for them and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it's the sand of the coliseum.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

makemeunreal wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:53 am This is pure bullshit... I had some pretty tasty matches on the 2003 demo servers a few years ago until they shut the master server down for that as well.
Gaming is dead. Long live "STEAM" and all the other money drains.

Rome is the mob. Conjure magic for them and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it's the sand of the coliseum.
Time of KAAL is upon us.

And then we should praise Lord Zhaar....

But yea... though some people are jumping to conclusions on ut99.org(like thinking it will bring end to modding) or being extra toxic which doesn't help.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

They're very proud to say UT3 will eventually come back online with crossplay between GOG, Steam and Epic's launcher.
This is a game that could have supported cross-platform play between PC and PS3 (it was not implemented in the final game because the PC player had a huge advantage in terms of agility) and now they think it's a treat to have crossplay between the same platform, only different launchers. The market has been artificially separated and we're supposed to be thankful when what's normal is grudingly given back to us.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Hellkeeper wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:13 pm They're very proud to say UT3 will eventually come back online with crossplay between GOG, Steam and Epic's launcher.
This is a game that could have supported cross-platform play between PC and PS3 (it was not implemented in the final game because the PC player had a huge advantage in terms of agility) and now they think it's a treat to have crossplay between the same platform, only different launchers. The market has been artificially separated and we're supposed to be thankful when what's normal is grudingly given back to us.
lol yea that's absolutely "kek" as they'd say on 4chan.

Like...I mean the PC and PS3 cross compat almost happened and basically ps3 version at least got the modding stuff going, like you could cook the maps for the ps3 version.
That was "something" at least. But yea I got the collectors edition back in early 2008 of this...

had that nice concept art booklet and stuff
vbdasc
OldUnreal Member

Post by vbdasc »

If Unreal, Unreal Tournament etc. remain available for purchase on GOG (arguably the only legal way to obtain new copies of these games now, correct me if I'm wrong) hopefully GOG will package them with the addresses of the unofficial master servers (or even with the OU patches) to make lives of inexperienced players easier. Still, the loss of Steam as a way to buy the games is a major blow unfortunately. Less young blood, more old farts, terminal decline and death :(
Blu3Haz3
OldUnreal Member

Post by Blu3Haz3 »

Back in highschool someone stole my Unreal Anthology CD from the computer, but I still have the CD-KEY on the Box, is there a free way to get a digital copy of the CD so I don't have to go and buy all of the games separately? I don't mind if I have to torrent, but if there is a better solution that would be preferred.
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Stylez wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:56 pm So now that these games are becoming abandonware, does anyone know an alternate way to get them.
There's always Ebay where you can find various Unreal games for sale. Some are even new, some pre owned, and some are reasonably priced and some are not.

Of course, these are likely for PC, and you have to get the mods here to make them work on modern computers.

I've purchased several such CDs with no issues, including Unreal Gold, etc. If anyone can use such CDs, take a look.

Fred
GEARvision
OldUnreal Member

Post by GEARvision »

"Ho ho ho you fucks!" Santa came crashing down Epic's headquarters in 6-rocket Arena style fashion, dodge jumping taking the masterserver for a better use :')

UT3 can't die if they can't kill UDK, both are incredibly essential and usually people know that they can use one of both when making any UE3 stuff,
Other than that this lines-up with the test work at Steam

Who knows what's under that hood but those who want to play UT3 on that topic, I got 100 GB I can give use, stuff before the forums disappeared. Some can set up servers including me although at the very least I could try UT2D on my very own end because otherwise ping here is hell =) I rush this post a lil bit I hope I didn't miss any thought... Ill be out for 8 hours, maybe I can get input. There's a discord of UT3, mods specifically, hopefully we can share links.
UT3 modded particularly shines on VCTF, there's more VCTF than CTF maps, outside of that I have favorites like Domination and Invasion, so if you're in line for that stuff, it's the right way to play.

Enter the GIF run... "Ho ho ho... UT3 IS LIVE SON OF A FUCKS!" :D

► Show Spoiler
vbdasc
OldUnreal Member

Post by vbdasc »

GOG will stop selling the Unreal/Unreal Tournament games as well. Now it's obvious that Epic are out for blood. They aren't doing these d!ck moves just to free human and server resources from supporting obsolete games. Selling these games on GOG doesn't require them to dedicate any resources. They're doing it to erase the games from existence, via cutting off the influx of new players, They're killing Unreal, so it doesn't compete with Fortnite.

RIP, Unreal series. You are now truly Abandonware.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”