For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

New Unreal Tournament Beta Version From Early 1999 (Build 221)

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: New Unreal Tournament Beta Version From Early 1999 (Build 221)

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I just fixed (for myself) the issue with 220 botpack capture sounds, set their rate and set them to mono, there were two additional capture sounds that crashed galaxy on 220. I will upload the fix later just saying what is the solution, setting them mono and their rate like the first capture sound. I believe this problem doesn't exist on later patches but yea...

(this still won't fix the ladder problems though)

I believe 220 botpack is best for domination (imo better than the 221 version) but that's just me.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Lol you know what is funny? the capturesounds still exist in 221 but are unused, sound 2 and 3. But suddenly in 222 they are completely replaced instead of being fixed...because nobody looked into it. AND to make things worse, on 225 those old sounds even in the stereo format...don't crash the game and play just right...

*facepalms*

so those cool sounds got removed because someone didn't have time to look into the problem, first went unused and then replaced by completely new ones instead of fixing them. classy really
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Also, ctf-coret used to be dm coret. Look at the level title again. They seemed to have simply mirrored it for the ctf version.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Well it turns out I forgot to do the firetexture stuff with the extraction so here it is (needed for the ut razorjack etc).

221FX

if someone wants a model of the disc/ufo separated here it is:
razorufo

it can be used even for ufo pawn or something though you have to unset the polyflags to not be invisible (the main part, it was used to hide the outer disc before extension) yourself,

btw this is the final boss (xan) model but with the 222 anims. The reason why this had to be done is because the 222 boss has messed up weapon triangle and this should fix the issue

bossoldanims

here is the sound fix for botpack 220 (under 220) that I talked about before

botpack220soundfix

Also here release thread for DM Coret

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=10466
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Awesome!
Thanks for your fixes and for the DM-Coret. It sure looks like a DM map after all.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

And I'm doing more in the meantime but has to wait for next round. I made an alt botpack 220 version (both compilation for 220 and 225 separately). The addition is the 221 pulsegun into it. There was a lost version of 220 botpack with the pulsegun so this is the closest we can get basically without resorting to outright faking content.

Now what surprised me is that somehow(??) it enabled the possibility of fully playing the ctf ladder on 225. It fucking works and the maps advance as long as you use the 221 ones. Niven is the first map against Canucks, Doria is second against Dudes, Dreary is third map against Commies (just playing)....

THOSE FRIGGIN COMIES LOL

IM FUCKING ADVANCING THROUGH 220 BOTPACK LADDER I CANT BELIEVE IT

EDIT: That's it lol, the 220 ladder really just has three maps...it tells you this
that you achieved novice GRANDMASTER and your score and then it tells you
"You have completed all the ladders for"
and that's it...it does let you "play" higher skill level but not really, i suppose you have to erase stuff from config file in order to start again.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Well, of course the ladder code has more maps listed etc, but it gets stuck at grandmaster i suppose because they made the other ladders inacessible by that...however when you open a map using last man standing right after achieving grandmaster rank..it will (once completed) tell you that you are the tournament champion lol. I suppose even at one point the final challenge was going to be a last man standing match. In fact I believe PC Gamer claimed so at one point. Still I like the old LMS because it doesn't remove the weapons and doesn't give you all weapons.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Several things here, first for the actual 221 version:

Fix for the UT crypt package

utcrypt

this fixes the defaulttexture problem at gauntlet

also, a port of the ctf coret from 222 beta
nucoret

alt versions, one specificaly for 220 as well, though it might require the 220 botpack hybrid:

nucoretraw
coret220

Speaking of the botpack hybrid, here it is finally:

220hybrid

this includes the previous sound fix, it has the 221 pulsegun as extra.

I also compiled the same on 225 as i indicated before which allowed for some sp ladder part schenanigans also

hybrid225

also for people who just want the 221 pulsegun and nothing else, here it is in separate files, one for 220:
myl220

just summon myl.pulsegun

and here for 225 and similar:

myr
myr.pulsegun
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I made some more fixes, like fix for ctf face's torchflame issues(using the oldflame.u file i already released). It seems Epic kept switching at one point back and forth between the torchflame meshes, like it reverted back to the original one a little later again...I will never understand exactly why, but that ctf-face is made on pre-220 stuff. So as a test I compiled (with a lot of commented out code when it comes to the gametypes) the 220 botpack on version 200 lol. Yea especially if you see the amoiunt of errors this throws you will realize that unreal 200 and 220 are nothing alike and 220 is basically already the UT upgrade/shareware stuff. 220 was such a big turning point and so many of its features are also integral part of unreal psx.

But..this allows me to load those maps on 200 and make botpack-free versions. Like I already made a deathmatch only version of face and from naliairforce I removed redeemer and added peacemaker instead...I will release this stuff in the near future. An extra set of maps that work on vanilla Unreal 200 range. I will also make kill the cow version of ctf face. I will release all this here or in a separate thread. Here at least the plain fixes and the other stuff maybe I should do separate. It is exciting for me honestly. The old stuff has also unique gameplay. But given how much codewise had changed in 220, it would be really interesting to get 219 botpack or earlier. Because it absolutely did exist, for all we know the weapons looked all different still. We know that the first versions had the old beta translocator instead, too. The "pipebomb" like one.

It is possible the first "udamage" was really mark of chizra and it looked different. Like maybe even the artifact mesh was used. Also interesting is to note the sounds of the old UDamage. If you played Unreal 2 you know that sound already and it is an "artifact" sound. This is important as I believe the two are related.
ZeaLitY
OldUnreal Member

Post by ZeaLitY »

Just FYI, I exported the tracker files from all the included UMXes and there were four uniques as compared to all other UT builds -- Skyward Fire, Run, Nether Animal, and Three Wheels Turning. The first three are totally identical to their final versions, but just have a bit less header information, causing the match fail. Three Wheels Turning has about 10-15 seconds less music because some patterns towards the end are skipped. So no real changes, to be honest.
http://www.chronocompendium.com
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Didn't notice that, interesting.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

ctf face fix
This is for 220 and 221, the torches changed back to the original mesh.

And this:
face222f
is a fix for the 222 beta only of its version of ctf face by assigning it back the normal torchflame mesh.

and here is the ctf face from 222 for 221 basically (if you don't have the 222 version especially), the original was saved on 220 it seems even, so in the 221 beta they were a bit behind with some map updates...
face222for221
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

The massive thread i promised

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10488
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Awesome, thanks! ;D
This was needed.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

AS versions of dm frigate and dm kgalleon (which kgalleon started as "AS" map).

for 220/221 mainly.
Frigate
KGalleon

Also...
the restored lavagiants version with latnerns..this archive was supposed to have a version for release UT as well but I obviously messed up when packing it...so there you go. its only the version for beta for now.
lanterns
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I forgot to say but I did confirm that the late 1999 released ctf nomansland is basically the same as in this version, the files do differ so maybe someone (yrex) can tell what changed between those versions? Its possible Dave Ewing himself released it though he didn't bother replacing the unreal weapons actually. I also don't know where the investigation of the later 1999 beta (an alt 222 or maybe 223/224) went since I didn't get the other laptop operational yet and its really clumsy working with this and searching for answers.

But also about nomansland, there were realctf and infiltration versions released, the inf ones are custom and so is the second realctf one, but the original real_nomansland is nowhere to be found with the original layout (real_nomansland2 has the red and blue base identical as opposed the original).

SO you tell me where the original real_nomansland is. Can someone still find it anywhere please? It would be great to find that version rather than the inf one where the realctf textures and banners are replaced with nonsense.
UnrealGGecko
OldUnreal Member

Post by UnrealGGecko »

I'll keep a look out for it, so far only finding the edit. nomansland2 says original author is Dave Ewing and edited by DC-DeathCircus, wonder if there's still any contacts to DC? Not too familiar with U1 mods but maybe it would be included in either an older version of RealCTF or a mappack?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:00 pm I'll keep a look out for it, so far only finding the edit. nomansland2 says original author is Dave Ewing and edited by DC-DeathCircus, wonder if there's still any contacts to DC? Not too familiar with U1 mods but maybe it would be included in either an older version of RealCTF or a mappack?
No it definitely wasn't included in any of the official releases.
It must have been just informally released at first among the ftp sites, etc.

Its possible one of those many cover cds had it though...
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Since I was playing around making more conversions, I noticed that the DM-Zeto from the 221 version must have been saved on one of the alt. 220 versions and is unique map in that it contains both stinger AND pulsegun (thus you can only run this on the modified 220 botpack with the re-added pulsegun and not the original old one we got).

Of course with the 221 gametypes the stinger is already replaced via the game, but originally you could (and can if you use the updated 220 botpack) run this on 220 with both the stinger and pulsegun present making this a really unique map.

there was also an undeleted/deleted light that was there in both the 221 and 222 versions lol. Light42 (only the unrtot3d can restore it).
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

This 221 version just getting weirder and weirder lol
Interesting find.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:21 pm This 221 version just getting weirder and weirder lol
Interesting find.
There are countless of maps that have properly undeleted lights. Even DM-Liandri, like there's a light that shows the blue elevator shaft didn't in fact use to be blue and it was an afterthought. The 221 Liandri map is so weird though (and last one so far i converted)...like it does make sense, there's a longer lasting jumpboots there and you can use it to reach a secret with rifle in it (one of the vents above the armor is fake if you didn't know). But its certainly a bit non standard gameplay and the bots often hate this map and get stuck under the lift or in between lifts and such. A bit too complex/weird. Like there's even a flare item that seemed to have been put there maybe on purpose of lighting up the area in case a bot or player gets stuck hiding up there in the nooks which happens all the time if jumpmatch is on btw. Like they (essentally by accident) get jumped all the way there and keep staying/camping there above the teleporter area).

AS-Rook from 222 beta (too bad the 221 version didn't have the rook with statues included as it was made around the same time and first screenshots must be from a later 221 or so) has undeleted triggerlights even that are in the void and suggest the layout was different bigger but the tags seem to correspond more with that lighting event at the end, the one that got disabled/messed with, the one that destroys the castle towers(i did partially restore it in my conversion).

Like there's still a regular trigger even that sets it up on one of the castle walls, probably leftover from testing.

Either way early Alan Willard stuff was often weird..I mean he did come originally from amateur map making and sometimes you can see that in his early epic work.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

One interesting thing of note is that there is a second (unused) levelinfo in ctf-crucible, levelinfo2 and it has Title of "DMFusion".

I wonder from what time "DMFusion" was from then.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

One of the things I forgot to convert before was DmFetid (which I did since but its not been uploaded), however when I examined this map I noticed few things. Like the 222 version has still all unreal inventory except for one item and that is thigh pads. I will make a 221/220 version without the thigh pads though I noticed that it has some new textures in uttech1 that version lacks, so I'll have to rename/convert the texture package as well most likely.

Either way fetid was still definitely a 200 range map and is one of the few to lack any botpack content in the original map. Also the final release screenshot still shows decayeds textures lol.

It would be absolutely amazing to see botpack from the 200 range or the stuff that preceded botpack and had levels like dmfusion and dmketzen (originally from unreal beta) and dom-ketzen when it became a botpack level shortly. But that will most likely never happen...
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Not sure if the shareware bit wouldn't warrant a separate post/topic but here we go:
Note that this is different than Unreal Special Edition. Unreal Special Edition was kind of like what came before the real shareware version is ready but we don't have the full real shareware version, which was only supposed to use the unrealshare package btw and only began to be ready around version 220, the 221 ut was based on this version though there were some bugs and issues pointing to the wrong files for example and that was fixed now. But yea Unreal Special was the OEM "shareware" while the real shareware never saw release (both in the separate story version 100 release and the post release 220 range shareware or even the older unreal bible plan shareware also different, lol)
ffort This is a test map for the 221 unreal which contains oemend actor that you have to swim to.

unrealordergfx this contains extracted/saved shareware order screen from the shareware version leftover from 221 UT.
unrealshare221fix - This is the real deal. The restored unrealshare shareware behavior in full.

It might work on real 221 as well which might be prefered but you can use this in UT 221 as long as you bind some key to showmenu also because its unbound by default and stuff.

If you hit the oemend if you use the unrealshare fix, it will pop up the order screen and you can scroll through it. It is different than the Unreal Special Edition.

I had this file waiting for a while but only now I was able to upload it. There are some more things I will post tomorrow but I'm too tired now.

And yes the int is important because it won't work properly without it. Unreal Special Edition didn't require it but there were some changes to the code since and it calls explicitly for the int.

Here's also a conversion of the 222 version of fetid back into 220(and 221 for that matter)
222fetidfor220
No BotPack version this one works even without botpack (but you'll need that renamed texture file i supplied in the last archive. The texture file was needed cuz 221 version of that file didn't have all the new textures in by that point, they did basically take some of the base decayeds textures etc and recolored it to match the new fetid style they were going for. Though the old decayeds version is still good and works even in plain unreal without any changes (and the final map still uses screenshot from the decayeds version LOL)

Now for dom cryptic, dom cryptic in the 221 version uses the botpack.doubleautomag actor that is not present in most versions of botpack except the 220 and 221 (so far).
So to open it in later version (if you're curious), this is no way a proper way to play it on release botpack though, I made a sepearate conversion for that that will not go into the research stuff here but you can later download it on ut99.org or oldunreal forums. To open it I made these altered versions, one with doubleenforcer present and one with regular enforcer (that one makes it openable in 222 beta).
read the readme in the first one
editcryptic
with plain enforcer - this one can be used with the 222 beta, the differences are rather minimal between the version included and this one though but there are still differences.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”