For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

I think I reached a limit

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

I think I reached a limit

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Hi guys,

I'm posting this also in case the landlord makes trouble during "inspection" today or finds some excuse to get us out already.

But fact is in general...I feel like I've hit the end of the road on many things.

Yea there are some things happening like Nightdive stuff, which we don't know any details about and despite me for years nudging Epic or someone else to finally do something for Unreal, maybe finally I've been heard out now? But yet they exclude me and stay silent now. Even a lot of my old contacts stay silent.

Remember when I managed to get someone to perhaps find his old unreal disc but I was only allowed to take a peek and then that didn't happen either? Maybe because of the nightdive plans now? I have no clue honestly really. I mean if I got access to it I wouldn't be allowed to share it with public but perhaps porting of the content I could have done. But maybe they got someone else? Again this is all a speculation but it does feel bitter after all those years to be left guessing what's going on.

Then I also have to remind myself all those people that hoard despite not being on the project or people that share but nothing of their own personal project, like that's kind of hypocritical you know and it extends to (mostly) non developers and just "lucky" people.

But even if stuff was shared privately it is better than having it be lost in time...I mean I have to remind myself of those corrupted HDDs that prevented another major recovery in the Unreal world.

All I can do is hope for the best future, that perhaps I have been heard out at some point and they will resurrect something from the past too. Who fucking knows...But yea there was so much that slipped past me, including that fated march 1998 beta of Unreal that someone had, but more than a decade ago when I was in the contact, the communication was severed by the provider by putting mine on a blacklist and I had to wait like a year...and by that point the person had moved out and moved things to a storage which eventually got emptied/destroyed. So yea...that was just messed up. I mean the guy even confirmed indeed that most of the levels do load under version 200 still and it seems in order and then..just because of some stupid telcos and what not. I of course had no idea things would go bad personally for the guy or anything. I think under the circumstances I did my best but if I knew or realized the possibility I would have asked someone else to contact him at the time.

But yea then it was a string of successes, followed by big losses around 2018, especially the whole Unreal 2 stuff failed (I got a little "compensation" in the form of those pre alphas but its nothing compared to what was found and everything at one point)..

The stress from real life contributed to it and then apart from some of the biggest hits on my life before/during the covid crisis, this whole crisis also caused some of my contacts that promised things not being able to reach their storages or whatever, so again there was a lot of stuff that was going to come out and then again those people went silent over time, leaving me to wonder what happened, apart from some irl complications I heard.

It does feel that after the pre-alphas of U2 and steele dawn, there's going to be big nothing coming from me. I don't think I can do anything further and have to wait now.

While going through contacts for a cancelled Unreal engine game (not having to do with Unreal on itself), I finally reached someone but it turned out he left the company long before work on the game started. So that was a false lead. Yet I was surprised in him wanting to give me material for older games he worked on, saying also that he was blacklisted and "cancelled" by parent companies and due to that not able to find work in what he does best. I didn't get that material apart from the photo, because I was not interested. This is not my job to do this and besides he mentioned other people had access to it so it will most likely surface one day.

I am primarily interested in the Unreal stuff and things around it and a game that I never played or that there might be material of, I am not interested in getting into that. I am sure that some people reading this would jump for the opportunity to do that out of ego credit..but no that's just not me.

And who knows, maybe there are even conspiracy theories out there that I might have had something to do with the leak of DNF2001, but no lol, I actually didn't give much shit about DNF and never asked anyone for the files. The only thing I asked was for permission to see the duke3d betas (not unreal engine but something that personally interests me), without gaining the chance and this was before the whole deadly kiss drama/mess that also caused part of my "cancellation"....

Edit: Either way I did "make" a DNF DM level now lol, just will have to wait until I can transfer it.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”