For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

"Nightdive wants to remaster the original Unreal next"

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: "Nightdive wants to remaster the original Unreal next"

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I suppose that's because the rights might have then gotten acquired from Robert Jordan by that new company then...
interesting

but yea that branch of Atari went bust and with it the licenses they were holding too, though in case of Unreal 2 that might be good news because there was once a project to resurrect the XMP gametype and other things on Unreal Engine 3. It was shaping out to be some Unreal spinoff game, I knew the guy who was trying to get it off the ground, as he had contract with Epic, but the problem was that Atari was holding a lot of the U2 specific license...
it sounds stupid but in the end the project got shut down even from Epic's side. They just couldn't agree on anything in the end, like Atari on one side, Epic and then this new internal team....
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Okay fine, given everything else that is happening, what can go wrong right? Just make him the CEO already nao!

:D
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Who was the joker who let the dog out?
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
vbdasc
OldUnreal Member

Post by vbdasc »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:07 am Okay fine, given everything else that is happening, what can go wrong right? Just make him the CEO already nao!

I personally am okay with the idea, but ONLY if he promises to produce Jazz Jackrabbit 4D, Jazz 5, Jazz of War, and Jazznite: Battle Royale.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

vbdasc wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:44 pm
Leo T_C_K wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:07 am Okay fine, given everything else that is happening, what can go wrong right? Just make him the CEO already nao!

I personally am okay with the idea, but ONLY if he promises to produce Jazz Jackrabbit 4D, Jazz 5, Jazz of War, and Jazznite: Battle Royale.
Lol...well I suppose he could go with virtual reality style Jazz Jackrabbit like Half Life Alyx or something. :P

edit: oh look he sent me message with this in it

edit2: spoiler tags don't work?
Blu3Haz3
OldUnreal Member

Post by Blu3Haz3 »

There is a new update on this topic:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-cr ... nreal-next

Thought I would share, it was on my android news feed. Btw, if this is true, people should try to contact them to include alpha or beta versions as well.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Blu3Haz3 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:39 am There is a new update on this topic:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-cr ... nreal-next

Thought I would share, it was on my android news feed. Btw, if this is true, people should try to contact them to include alpha or beta versions as well.
If you look in offtopic I discussed the Quake 2 remaster now. I also privately discussed and on some other forum that I wonder if they're gonna pick this now up that Q2 remaster is done. Quake 2 got beta levels included in it and I did send year(s) ago epic those suggestions that if they won't authorize full beta versions in public at least the level route should be made. So I think they know and are very much aware.

It might be also a good opportunity for Epic to re-comply with whatever they need by having it more tied to their system/epic store, however that might be bad news for us, but perhaps nightdive is willing to take away that responsibility.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Either way I was always told like Epic doesn't have any betas anymore except maybe Tim in some vault, so Tim would need to open that up and I'm not sure if he'd find it so important even with Tim approving the general release of the remaster. So after all they might not feature beta stuff until that would be done.

So if I understand it right this is still not 100 percent certain it will happen right?
Blu3Haz3
OldUnreal Member

Post by Blu3Haz3 »

I suppose if the original files are inaccessible to the studio then they can't make the beta. But you said it yourself, there is a chance that Tim Sweeney actually has it kept under lock and key. Idk if Nightdive typically requires the sourcecode or not, but it might not be too big of a stretch for Tim to provide the rights under commercial use. Its speculation, but if Nightdive is at least aware of the Beta situation, I can imagine the topic being brought up by phone, email or at a meeting.

But correct, there is no news or evidence portaining to the Beta being a part of any future plans. However, there are two mystery projects currently in the works at Nightdive, and given the recent success of Quake and I think System Shock and some recent word on Twitter... a remaster could be in the works, but it is super early rumors right now.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Blu3Haz3 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:55 pm I suppose if the original files are inaccessible to the studio then they can't make the beta. But you said it yourself, there is a chance that Tim Sweeney actually has it kept under lock and key. Idk if Nightdive typically requires the sourcecode or not, but it might not be too big of a stretch for Tim to provide the rights under commercial use. Its speculation, but if Nightdive is at least aware of the Beta situation, I can imagine the topic being brought up by phone, email or at a meeting.

But correct, there is no news or evidence portaining to the Beta being a part of any future plans. However, there are two mystery projects currently in the works at Nightdive, and given the recent success of Quake and I think System Shock and some recent word on Twitter... a remaster could be in the works, but it is super early rumors right now.
Yea but the chance might be that one of the projects is Unreal and the other one maybe Unreal 2? Since umm..I believe the guy mentioned a year ago that he didn't dislike U2? Now that's a game that would be best getting an overhaul. But by this point all of the developers who had something lost it, the rest went to Atari though, the branch that got bankrupt so tracking down those betas might be difficult unless Tim also kept those but its unsure because Epic didn't keep everything from what I've heard of the projects not by them. Even when they had betas and source code stored on their ftp which was the case once...

But yea I never got to speak to Mike Verdu, who left in 2002 and with him went the original vision of the game, which still had more levels and a lot of stuff finished and different. I did make comparison to his version of the game being so different than what was released (it was basically a patched up later 2002 build of the game as they originally planned a christmas or pre christmas release but got pushed back), being the equivalent of Zack Snyder's Justice League versus the Josstice League (what U2 got released as).

that doesn't necesarily make Glen into Joss Whedon, but the studio interference was felt and Glen had nothing to do with the project before that(and the project grew for many years), he was indeed a quick replacement lead and also didn't want to influence certain things which fell onto other people.

But whatever is in the works might be early stage and could be potentially cancelled if Tim decided so? Not sure.
x21
OldUnreal Member

Post by x21 »

It's going to be interesting seeing Unreal on the KEX engine.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

x21 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:28 pm It's going to be interesting seeing Unreal on the KEX engine.
If they do that that is. Maybe Tim will tell them they will have to keep using the Unreal Engine. I wonder if the map format remains compatible or if some converters will need to be written.

For example the quake remaster format for the new levels doesn't seem compatible with original quake at all(i asked someone to send me an example of bsp level), I tried to run it, tried to convert it, nothing.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I might have been too optimistic before but today (before it was revealed) and yesterday I did start to become sceptical about that those projects might be Unreal related.

Especially if you consider this
https://exputer.com/news/games/epic-gam ... -remaster/

But yea it would be too early because unless Tim and co. approves it it is not happening. And thus such projects didn't start yet.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

We're living in an age where gaming companies seem bent on changing or refusing what old-time fans want, as if they were holding some kind of grudge against them.
You must construct additional pylons.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Hellkeeper wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:01 am We're living in an age where gaming companies seem bent on changing or refusing what old-time fans want, as if they were holding some kind of grudge against them.
That reminds me all those "We're living in a society" or rather "we live in a society" memes with the Joker or whatever.

But yea...
x21
OldUnreal Member

Post by x21 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:21 am
If they do that that is. Maybe Tim will tell them they will have to keep using the Unreal Engine. I wonder if the map format remains compatible or if some converters will need to be written.

For example the quake remaster format for the new levels doesn't seem compatible with original quake at all(i asked someone to send me an example of bsp level), I tried to run it, tried to convert it, nothing.
I assume they would use their engine as it's designed for the task of remastering old games. If that's the case it would not be the same format.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

x21 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:43 pm
Leo T_C_K wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:21 am

I assume they would use their engine as it's designed for the task of remastering old games. If that's the case it would not be the same format.
An engine can be written to support all kind of formats. Formats say nothing about the engine itself lol. And it will have to read the old format either way just the new format will most likely be incompatible just like with quake.
x21
OldUnreal Member

Post by x21 »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:49 pm An engine can be written to support all kind of formats. Formats say nothing about the engine itself lol. And it will have to read the old format either way just the new format will most likely be incompatible just like with quake.
Based on the fact their engine is also used in the Turok remaster I would bet they are using going to use a single format.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

x21 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:04 pm
Leo T_C_K wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:49 pm An engine can be written to support all kind of formats. Formats say nothing about the engine itself lol. And it will have to read the old format either way just the new format will most likely be incompatible just like with quake.
Based on the fact their engine is also used in the Turok remaster I would bet they are using going to use a single format.
No, they always adapt it to the individual games at least from what I heard. the .bsp format used in the remaster of quake is somewhat compatible and is like evolution of the original quake one, just not compatible with old stuff but with some modern sourceports maybe yes. that's kind of like the Unity ports of Doom which have become official. the wads can still be loaded no problem, even often with vanilla doom. Its more like emulations/rewrites of the engine within the new engine.

It would take them too much work to completely rewrite and port everything into their new engine and unify all the formats etc. That is not what they're doing, it wouldn't be accurate. Some people might call them "hacks" for it but I have to agree it makes sense.

Return to “Unreal General Forum”