For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I did say this in personal conversations but not here yet so I'll do that too.
the skaarj warlord, the closest resemblance to that look is this:

https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/Torgr

maybe parts of torgr's and the korig's parts could be used to make the skin if someone modified warlord mesh enough or makes one from scratch. Just saying.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Re: Unreal Image and Video Collection (Magazines, Beta & Pre-release shots, UT Beta, Box covers and much more!)

Post by Gamesharder »

makemeunreal made a very informative post about the early Warlord model compared to the release version.
Check it out:
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... start=1100
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I did make (before mmu started to experiment himself with it) an edited version of the warlord mesh just to remove the wings etc and a temporary new skin if you want to check it out.
warlordedit

also finally uploaded the backed up version of the krallhomeworld text file I wrote a while back, this is not official but its how I'd imagine it looking like based on everything and I find it still a very nice idea to have Unreal 3 take place there.

krallhomeworld
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Interesting, I mean the Krall Home World text.
I still wonder how the home world of the Skaarj would look like.
I guess it'd be very much H.R. Giger inspired like Scorn, at least how I'd imagine it.
Wasn't the cancelled mission pack going to take place on the Skaarj home world?

Also, I'm not too familiar with models/meshes and such, what program did you use for the Warlord mesh?
How would one open the .3d file? ;D
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:03 pm Interesting, I mean the Krall Home World text.
I still wonder how the home world of the Skaarj would look like.
I guess it'd be very much H.R. Giger inspired like Scorn, at least how I'd imagine it.
Wasn't the cancelled mission pack going to take place on the Skaarj home world?

Also, I'm not too familiar with models/meshes and such, what program did you use for the Warlord mesh?
How would one open the .3d file? ;D
U3Dbinread.

Either way in my own headcanon, Skaarj Homeworld would be visited in Unreal 4, altogether with a whole new realm (related to the whole dranoel/other stuff).

Skaarj Home Planet was going to be explored in Unreal II, not a mission pack. The original Unreal II, before the ending of Unreal got changed. As you'd end up flying with the mothership, but it would lock on back to "home", kind of like that episode of Stargate SG1 when that prototype shuttle using hybrid tech had some "send back home" stuff activated.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Updates of some things:

-screenshots from the Editor Shots folder have been placed into their appropriate folders (Alpha (1996-1997) & Beta (1997-1998))

Beta (1997-1998) folder:
-added extracted screenshots from various magazines (since they were in fact promotional shots)

-added 3 newly found pictures
  • -one of them is another view of the sideways beta Vortex Rikers

-Covers, Posters, Strategy Guides folder is being reworked
  • -folder got renamed to Covers, Posters, Advertisements, Guides
  • -it'll feature the newly recovered layered PSD files of the Unreal and UT manuals, posters and such

Magazines, Articles folder:
-new pages in 1998 (7 new)

-a new page in 1997

-new pages in 1996 (3 new)

Misc folder:
-added 3 newly found pictures to E3 and Events folder

Videos folder:
-added a new subfolder with extracted clips of different maps from (almost) every video, called Gather, Extract
  • -most of the clips are silent, but some still have sounds that I forgot to mute while I edited them out, sorry about that lol
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I thought that the screenshot with the "unknown dm level" from 1998 unreal was posted here but now I can't find it. Can you post it here again separately? You might have asked me privately or something once.

But I do believe it was a beta healpod(that or deck16 but i guess healpod), it was different afaik plus that same texture is used in a part of healpod that must have been redesigned. I did play beta healpod once and apart from the central healpod itself it had some layout differences that i can't describe anymore, i remember the area around the razorjack being different for instance.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Yeah, if you mean this
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:47 pm Yeah, if you mean this
Yea that. Its so confusing though because it could easily be either map but its possible it was healpod really, an earlier version, possibly the same one I played as I said the screenshots otherwise look about identical to that version. Strange that this version was thought to be then the base of the dreamcast version.

I wish I could remember it more clearly but there was certainly something weird about that healpod's layout, they changed some of the wings significantly, similarly to how stuff was played with in HealPod][.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

This is the whole page

With HealPod there looking like the release version

It's weird because it looks like this version is just before release

-Vandora and Trench in late afternoon time
-Brutes and Krall have their release skin
-ASMD isn't thin

But the Dispersion Pistol fires the beta projectile, and looks like the Skaarj Infantry holds that stinger very wierd lol

Also, a Brute on Harobed?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:16 pm This is the whole page

-ASMD isn't thin

But the Dispersion Pistol fires the beta projectile, and looks like the Skaarj Infantry holds that stinger very wierd lol

That's the central area of HealPod. I told you the center looked more or less the same. Except that it wasn't a piston but a platform like in cobalt and you were supposed to take it up for a secret area. Except I could never reach it in time to see what was actually there (I had no skills really at the time).

but the area pictured is probably this but it got redesigned
Its just one of the many pre-release versions/variants that were floating around just like the gw press strategy guide one.

also the krall skin seems to be slightly different actually, not much but very slightly.

stupid wikia images can't be linked directly
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:16 pm This is the whole page

-ASMD isn't thin

Do you have any other page of this still? i mean how long is this preview? Either way, what skin is the male1 one when he gets killed? Also does it say Bane? It seems like they changed the class of that bot multiple times over. In the beta I played one of the male2 bots was named Nick actually.

also remember the 221 ut twilight map? How on the screenshots it looked identical except for the redeemer part and that it had more differences than we thought? the same was probably for healpod.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

4 page review, these are the 2 left
ImageImage
Leo T_C_K wrote:Either way, what skin is the male1 one when he gets killed? Also does it say Bane?
Yeah, it says Bane. The skin is unknown tho.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:53 pm 4 page review, these are the 2 left
ImageImage
Leo T_C_K wrote:Either way, what skin is the male1 one when he gets killed? Also does it say Bane?
Yeah, it says Bane. The skin is unknown tho.
Wait is the skin new or does it match any of the regular unreali male skins? I would be surprised that there was a skin we didn't see still when it comes to male1 ones.

Either way the krall look regular on the castle screenshot...

but now I noticed something odd, look at the attachment.

What map is this? See that light in the corner? And with the water in same area? wtf

But really, that deathmatch map must be healpod if you compare that area it must be from above so there was a ramp similar to healpod2 except it went down like in deck16, its the same area, the lighting too, those spotlights, its at the same spots roughly...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Leo T_C_K wrote:Wait is the skin new or does it match any of the regular unreali male skins? I would be surprised that there was a skin we didn't see still when it comes to male1 ones.
I think it's a completely new skin, I haven't seen this in regular Unreal.

That picture is on Dug, at the end.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:06 pm
Leo T_C_K wrote:Wait is the skin new or does it match any of the regular unreali male skins? I would be surprised that there was a skin we didn't see still when it comes to male1 ones.
I think it's a completely new skin, I haven't seen this in regular Unreal.

That picture is on Dug, at the end.
Oh right, the perspective confused me, ha ha.

Well you know the 200 range of Unreal still used those UnrealI "hidden" skins but this can't be one of them from a diff angle? odd really

But I hope you see that the map must be healpod, its that area with stinger and flak cannon, the one which leads to those buttons. It must be this because its one of the areas that got changed before release. The spotlights give it away really.

That and that the player is wielding flak cannon at the same spot where it is in the release version. At that alcove above..except here its linked by a ramp DOWN.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

You know what? It might be a new skin but instead maybe an earlier version of male1skins carter? That would make sense as its outside of UnrealI and that skin didn't exist in the beta stuff before.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

I think you're right, yeah
Interesting.
ImageImage
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:19 pm I think you're right, yeah
Interesting.
ImageImage
Its kind of bringing me those memories back except not fully. Now if I can figure out what it was with the razorjack because this might be essentially the same healpod that I played. If I recall correctly the razorjack wasn't where its now and was instead somewhere in those niche areas but you needed an elevator to reach it still. I just can't remember it exact anymore, but I have the feeling that even ten years ago I could still remember it more clearly. Just we never had these discussions back then and whenever I talked about that beta it was largely ignored as not a lot of people got interested in it.

So...that weird skin is maybe an older version of the carter skin which was the only new addition from the beta times...and this thing was old healpod which obviously had more verticality in some areas...
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

I know I talked a little about this, but is there any demand to have the magazines sorted by countries?

Should I do that or no?
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I don't know, its not necessary for me at least...
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

Well, still waiting for more responses but ok.

I found a (maybe not seen before) video interview of the 1998 Atlanta show with Cliff and James, check this out
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I have seen this several years ago, in fact I believe he had more unreal/ut previews in total. I was looking through that stuff as Tommy was involved at one point with Unreal 2 sound/music and he also did sounds for Metroid Prime.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

I noticed something interesting in the folder of version 400 of Unreal 2.

There's this "myleveled" screenshot of a map called "DM-Klaris" but it's actually "DM-Liandri" as we know from version 222 of UT.
Maybe they separated the two maps after 222 and Klaris (old Liandri) was deleted while the new Liandri level got packed in the released version of UT.

There's also a "DM-tutorial" screenshot which looks more detailed than the 222 version one.

See the comparison:

The textures are different, there's cobwebs and additional brushes on the not-recovered version.
Leo told me that this beta DM-Tutorial might have been taken from Shane's level pack which had additional areas/extended sections.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Well, first of all, it is not "myleveled", they used to store the screenshots in the botpack package before they switched to the mylevel method. It was back then primarily for the tournament ladder itself. Klaris probably then appeared in the tournament ladder with full description/title and story and I wonder what that would have been, but without seeing the older uc code we cannot tell...

I mean even released version of botpack still has many of those screenshots in it, even though it was no longer strictly necessary.

I believe it must have been cut around the time when the UT beta demo came out. For some reason they decided to cut Klaris at that point but we don't know what differences the map had from the 222 era.

The tutorial level, I am not sure of that, but someone told me a theory like that previously, like that the 1997 level pack stuff might have been at one point reused for dm tutorial of UT. I was puzzled by this information and not sure if it was reliable, but looking at that screenshot it does seem to be mostly a retexture of the level. The theory about Shane being fully responsible here though I'm not sure if holds because IIRC wsn't the 222 level credited to Cliff?

Either way that level by Cliff might have even came from there too for all we know or there was yet another version we didn't see which had more rooms in it and might have even included the section from the 1997 shane church level *that gothic reused already some geometry from*.

This is what I meant actually.

But yea that reminds me...perhaps Alan Willard could be asked about Klaris...however since he previously claimed they cut "nothing" for UT I am not sure how reliable his story will be, lmao.

EDIT: It also suspiciously looks like you could walk up there at some point in the tutorial level, like something got cut/missing. Kind of looks like that one "ancient" themed map from the unreal box cover doesn't it? (that might or might not have been acerak but that yrex used in his acerak remake anyways)

But who is the 222 dm tutorial author? Was it shane or cliff or someone else?

Return to “Unreal General Forum”