For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Steele Dawn - the Lost Expansion pack - uncovered

Unreal Unreal and more Unreal
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Re: Steele Dawn - the Lost Expansion pack - uncovered

Post by Victor Delacroix »

NewbiesPlayground Mirror - HOTFIXES INCLUDED
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

https://pixeldrain.com/u/MrEgtogq - Day One Patch (treat this as V1a)

Changelog:

* Nali security personnel in Vegra and resistance fighters in River Ruins now received weapons, as they're logically expected to be armed.

This will be the last update for V1. Any further bugs and issues will be fixed at a later date and bump up the version number.
This patch is now included in the NewbiesPlaground mirror archive. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Thanks for the PM. I made a post about it at my website and added the map pack to my maps page.
I took the freedom to include the patch into the archive for convenience.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

HD Texture Pack by AHaigh01

Use the Textures\Subfolders for D3D11Drv renderer, and the utx and u packages for all other renderers.

Also, the NewbiesPlayground mirror of the expansion itself is now at V1b.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

he's taking requests for custom packs? How about s3tc versions of the upsx texture packages? Any new ones in subsequent releases will have separate package so it won't conflict. In fact diehard planned this for upsx later down the road.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Naturally, he is taking requests. In fact I know it for a fact from him that one day he wants all of Unreal and UT99 to be available in HD form. I'll talk to him about it.

It'd be good if you published something new from Unreal PSX too but doesn't that have its own topic? :-P

I think that today's release of v1b is honestly the last urgent update SD needed. It was a good thing I released it after all, you simply CAN'T take all custom configurations into account, so a lot of issues come out when the pack is out in the open. I can assure you that Yrex and I (mainly he) did everything possible to avoid having regular players forced to become our beta-testers. The issues that popped up are in my opinion very few. The fervent beta-tests paid off.

I'm pretty pleased with how things turned out.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I'm just finishing up zenith coop or finished actually, zenith10 and the boss map needs to be uploaded/transfered and you know who it all depends on, because he strapped me of the ability to do it myself.

And then the entire pack with readme etc as in the complete archive with all the files.

Either way as for SD, 3 tried it on his server but upon seeing the patches coming out he said he's deleting it because it's still in beta obviously and that he'll wait for v2 or something until all gameplay issues have been solved especially the xidia-like skaarj that have over 3000 health he said.
eGo
OldUnreal Member

Post by eGo »

@Victor
One suggestion I have...please remove the version prefix from the files. You save yourself further problems in future.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

eGo wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:14 am @Victor
One suggestion I have...please remove the version prefix from the files. You save yourself further problems in future.
Except that this actually keeps filenames unique and no chance of mismatches on older clients. In fact with some things/past fixes i wish he made that instead.

It might not be necessary in steele dawn's case here, but I do see the advantage of this approach should it be revisited.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Leo T_C_K wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:08 am Either way as for SD, 3 tried it on his server but upon seeing the patches coming out he said he's deleting it because it's still in beta obviously and that he'll wait for v2 or something until all gameplay issues have been solved especially the xidia-like skaarj that have over 3000 health he said.
3 can think and do whatever he wants, tbh. However, SD is by no means beta at this point and patches soon after release aren't all that unusual. Remember some of the releases of Unreal PSX? You had to patch 'em too - no big deal, stuff happens, things get missed.

But I'd seriously like to nip one thing in the bud. The Praetorians don't have over 3000 health. They have a mere 1800. There is only one Skaarj in the entire SD that has 3200 HP and that's one of the pack's two main antagonists.

There won't be a V2. 3 can forget it. There weren't that many issues to begin with to warrant such a version bump.
Leo T_C_K wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:16 am
eGo wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:14 am @Victor
Except that this actually keeps filenames unique and no chance of mismatches on older clients. In fact with some things/past fixes i wish he made that instead.

It might not be necessary in steele dawn's case here, but I do see the advantage of this approach should it be revisited.
The version numbers stay for the time being.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I wanted to still show, regarding steele dawn, how the original keypads worked in the historical 220 steeldawn.u (and the conversion of it) that weren't used and were taken from awgd originally, the parent class was interactivepuzzle but only keypad was implemented though its possible awgd had more or more was planned.

sdkeytest

basically if you enter the code right it will disable the access denied forcefield things. Those events were in the map, this is one of the old wip versions of starport.

here's a link to a vid showing what happens.
video
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?p=136642#p136642

I finished my alternate coop version for UT btw. There were a coule of misc fixes before like the inclusion of the regular male3brand file and I fixed steeledawnpakut problem with the sdeightball, now there's a new Aspide's version of fixed dm maps for UT and the ut system files.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

There are some new discoveries I made. Later I will upload a test map of the "looting" feature and a small video. This was a leftover from awgd in the 220 that i don't think was going to stay for steele dawn.

Added line: forgot to mention that the "AWT" mention wasn't a typo, this AWT.u was in VRND and the early Unrealty demo btw. I believe it stood for windows theme, so it was just the mouse support from that was partially taken for the keypad/interactive puzzles.

But either way there are discoveries on the front of awgd by going through magazines on archive.org and more. And there was also a magazine where steele dawn was announced as an expansion pack in the line of more or less official/commercial things so it seems there was some kind of plan after all.

But for AWGD, I found out that there was an array of 8 new weapons, the main protagonist was called Frank Miller.. :D err I mean Frank Massie and it would feature some kind of experiment gone wrong..so indeed something like resident evil in that regard, it would have some new monsters too aside zombies and the revealed weapons are chainsaw, the already revealed lawnmower, several machineguns/submachine, mortar launcher and grenades. Something called "plastique" too but not sure what they mean with that...

also one of the things was in a polish magazine and yea it was going to have 10 levels

https://archive.org/details/cda-09-98/C ... ew=theater

Oh my god I gotta write a fanfic where Frank Miller joins our heroes of Confused Travolta and Marilyn Brandon etcetera...

but wait ..Massie? oh no...not her again
oh wait she's called Maisie so nvm

Or maybe he will be called Frank "Massie Williams" Miller in full, haha
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Since I promised I will post this:
Lootbodytest

these are just the vegra maps with various variations on the amount of items in the decorations. note, again as I said before it will only work on the original 220 version properly as the looting script has been commented out from my 224/225 port so it would compile, as a rewrite of the functions would be necessary.

I did record a video of the "two items max" setup though. When you encounter a decoration or body(or cspawn) with more than two contents of different types, it will show an additional two squares on the screen btw (not shown in the vid).

looting video
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I succesfuly contacted Steve Farrow. Unfortunately after days of waiting he didn't yet answer my reply. It is the same guy btw, don't worry, he confirmed it. I told him about the release of SD the community version. But he didn't comment yet back. I also told him that the latest map version we got was sd_oldtown5.unr, so I'm still waiting for a reply, or maybe he will become not interested at all, in which case it would be a shame. I don't know really. It just seems depressing to me, I managed to contact someone else regarding a different project and also silence after my subsequent reply...
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Okay I got some good news. He might have some old stuff with him still if it survived. He did tell me he actually made sequel to Liberation Na Pali, just never finished it due to him being involved with so many projects at the same time. He'll see if he has anything more of Steele Dawn too, even if it most likely won't impact the community edition anymore.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Well, in that case I am waiting. :-)
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I had some technical issues and a bit of an e-mail leak, but I'll wait patiently until he gets around searching through his stuff. Some of the content he said he should have saved sounds quite promising. This probably includes also the lost realtournament demo that was sent to Epic as a sample when they were thinking to go commercial with it. Steve Farrow made maps for this as well.

It is admirable how much he created and he was even part of teams of at least three or four unreal engine games that never came out. Not all at once, but sadly most of the games got cancelled.

I knew about his involvement with two of those projects but the other two was a bit of a surprise to me.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

V2.0 out!! Thanks, Aspide!!

Steele Dawn V2.0
Mental-Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Post by Mental-Hunter »

This is awesome, finally gained access to my old account. Definetly will try this one out!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Mental-Hunter wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:51 am This is awesome, finally gained access to my old account. Definetly will try this one out!
Let us know how it pans out for you when you try it!

Return to “Unreal General Forum”