For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Unreal Tournament v469a Patch Release

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

anth
Administrator

Re: Unreal Tournament v469a Patch Release

Post by anth »

Cool. I've updated the GitHub release package as well.
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

Loving the new patch, been playin ut99 since 2000, thnx for all the hard work thats gone into this, nice to see it's still alive. Long Live Unreal Tournament. ;D
Mac84

Post by Mac84 »

Excellent! Do you mind sharing what the issue was? Just curious.

I'm having a blast with this release, it runs so smooth... very addicting...  8-) Well done everyone involved!! I'll write up a quick how-to guide for the Mac OS X version of the game after I test it on a multitude of systems I have.
Last edited by Mac84 on Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anth
Administrator

Post by anth »

Excellent! Do you mind sharing what the issue was? Just curious.

I'm having a blast with this release, it runs so smooth... very addicting...  8-) Well done everyone involved!! I'll write up a quick how-to guide for the Mac OS X version of the game after I test it on a multitude of systems I have.
We were already passing a flag to our compiler to tell it to generate binaries that can run on macOS 10.9. Until recently, that was all we had to do to target 10.9. For some reason, however, we now have to pass that flag to the linker as well. I think a recent Xcode update might be responsible.
path0gen
OldUnreal Member

Post by path0gen »

Congratulations on the release and thanks for all this work!
I love this patch, especially the high framerate option! I have 2 problems so far that I am not sure if it's the patch or the options I have in the game but I get the solitaire effect in the main menu and the HUD in Operation Na Pali is broken for me.

Could I fix this somehow myself?
I found the bug with Operation Na Pali HUD only happens with XOpenGL video driver. Switching to OpenGL/DX9 can work around it for now
ahaigh01
OldUnreal Member

Post by ahaigh01 »

Thanks for all of your hard work. It's great to have this new patch!
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

Can I get some feedback on something that may be being overlooked ?

Those of you that used the exe to install should see the updated config info in the main ini and in the default.ini.
Can you please confirm that all the sections have been updated by comparing to the default.ini in the patch distro ?

In my case it has not.
Some new missing entries have been added, but existing ones remain the same.
e.g. I still have the original masterserver entries and the cache size is still 4MB.
Window sizes and default renderers have not been updated.

If any others see similar behaviour this is worth adding as a bug report, but if this is just some weirdness with my win 10 laptop I will just do all the edits myself and shrug.
Last edited by Dr.Flay™ on Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flak

Post by Flak »

Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

FOR VANDORA AND CHIZRA!!! THE ONE AND ONLY FLAK? IS THAT YOU??? :O
Localization project coordinator/spanish maintainer

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

Yes that is the real Flak.
...or the real Unreal Flak.

I see the article is being copy-pasted to other games sites.
Shame they arent being more original.

How is EFX_Zoneinfo being handled in this update ?
I notice complaints in discord about maps using EFX zones from the previous standalone audio renderers are not working.

There is nothing in the release notes about EFX zones, so is it now not supported ?
Last edited by Dr.Flay™ on Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
breek

Post by breek »

Can anyone please instruct me what to do to play the game on Mac?
Yay!

It's an honor to have contributed to something as great as this. :) Congrats to everyone involved!
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

Can anyone please instruct me what to do to play the game on Mac?
Not a Mac user, but perhaps some of this can help:
  • Mac OS X/macOS 32-bit: This version is for legacy versions of Mac OS X and macOS only. It was developed and is known to work on macOS 10.14, but it should work on most OS X versions for Intel CPUs too. The 32-bit mac version of the patch does not come in Application Bundle format.
  • macOS 64-bit: This version should run on all modern versions of macOS. The patch is distributed as an Application Bundle, but it is currently unsigned and unnotarized (see Gatekeeper notes below).

Apple recently tightened restrictions on applications downloaded outside the App Store. These restrictions affect the UT patch. When launching the game, macOS might display a pop-up saying that the application was blocked because it came from an unidentified developer. One way to bypass the popup is to right-click the application launcher and to click open in the context menu that appears. macOS will once again display a pop-up message, but this time there should be an "Open anyway" button underneath the message.
Last edited by Neon_Knight on Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Only the people that do nothing but criticize don't make mistakes. Do things. Make mistakes. Learn from them. And screw those who do nothing but throw poison and criticize.
Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rubie »

This happens on my system sry I say but this never happened with unreal updates .

Execution attempt Location: C:\UnrealTournament\System469\OpenAL32.dll 20/08/2020 10:39 Blocked
Execution attempt Location: C:\UnrealTournament\System469\OpenAL32.dll 20/08/2020 10:39 Blocked
Execution attempt Location: C:\UnrealTournament\System469\Engine.dll 20/08/2020 10:15 Blocked
Execution attempt Location: C:\UnrealTournament\System469\Core.dll 20/08/2020 10:15 Blocked
Execution attempt Location: C:\UnrealTournament\System469\Window.dll 20/08/2020 10:15 Blocked
Execution attempt Location: C:\UnrealTournament\System469\Engine.dll 20/08/2020 10:15 Blocked
Execution attempt Location: C:\UnrealTournament\System469\Core.dll 20/08/2020 10:15 Blocked
Execution attempt Location: C:\UnrealTournament\System469\Window.dll 20/08/2020 10:15 Blocked

So this is useless this patch I think

Greets,

Rubie
I have no signature :)
Neon_Knight
OldUnreal Member

Post by Neon_Knight »

This happens on  my system sry  I say but this never happened with unreal updates .

Execution attempt  Location: C:\UnrealTournament\System469\OpenAL32.dll    20/08/2020 10:39          Blocked
Execution attempt  Location: C:\UnrealTournament\System469\OpenAL32.dll    20/08/2020 10:39          Blocked
Execution attempt  Location: C:\UnrealTournament\System469\Engine.dll      20/08/2020 10:15          Blocked
Execution attempt  Location: C:\UnrealTournament\System469\Core.dll        20/08/2020 10:15          Blocked
Execution attempt  Location: C:\UnrealTournament\System469\Window.dll      20/08/2020 10:15          Blocked
Execution attempt  Location: C:\UnrealTournament\System469\Engine.dll      20/08/2020 10:15          Blocked
Execution attempt  Location: C:\UnrealTournament\System469\Core.dll        20/08/2020 10:15          Blocked
Execution attempt  Location: C:\UnrealTournament\System469\Window.dll      20/08/2020 10:15          Blocked

So this is useless this patch I think

Greets,

Rubie
Which program blocks all of this?

Carbon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Carbon »

Well, I can't say I've done 'extensive' testing yet, but so far, all is well.

I dropped the patch into my 20 year-old install (I've been migrating the same installation folder across many, many PC builds over the years), replaced the files it wanted to, fired it up and yeah...all went well.

Hardware-wise, I'm on a 10700k and 2070 Super, so pretty modern and with the new feature to limit frames, it ran smooth as silk.

Good stuff anth and the team...thank you for your work.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

Good luck Carbon !
Considering there are bugs yet to deal with and find, that is brave unless you are testing with a copy of your game folder.

@Rubie no AV are showing a warning for those 4 files.
Whatever you are using is at fault, not the patch.
OpenAL32.dll
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/95c ... /detection

Engine.dll
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/47e ... /detection

core.dll
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/b88 ... /detection

window.dll
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/4ff ... /detection
coolcock
OldUnreal Member

Post by coolcock »

Most fixes work fine for me. Tough it seems like you can't enable or disable (honestly i can't really tell) Anti Aliasing?
It seems to be enabled by default on XOpenGL. However disabling it doesn't change anything. You'd still see the same edges as before.

FPS are a "mixed" bag on my End.
I manage to see drops from 500fps down to 80fps. My i5 2500k  + RX580 shouldn't be the issue here.
Of course that's perfectly playabale but i'd love to have around steady 144fps.
Settings like dynamic lightning or anything else seem to have Zero effect on performance.

Maybe it's just the engine? At least that is what i figure.
Last edited by coolcock on Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dizzy
OldUnreal Member

Post by dizzy »

The readme states that for Linux glibc 2.19 is required. However the latest official version of glibc for RHEL 7 /CentOS 7-based systems is 2.17.

Is there a chance the patch will work on Linux-based systems with glibc 2.17 or is it worthless even trying?
Last edited by dizzy on Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
dizzy
OldUnreal Member

Post by dizzy »

The readme states that for Linux glibc 2.19 is required. However the latest official version of glibc for RHEL 7 /CentOS 7-based systems is 2.17.

Is there a chance the patch will work on Linux-based systems with glibc 2.17 or is it worthless even trying?
I got impatient and tried it anyway and can confirm it works on CentOS 7 with glibc 2.17.

Amazing job and a massive congratulations and thank you to absolutely everyone involved in this.

Seriously... you geniuses have basically fixed everything which annoyed me about Unreal Tournament, especially the terrible bugs surrounding high FPS and laggy movement; a problem I've been trying to solve for years.

Mad respect and thanks.
effEX
OldUnreal Member

Post by effEX »

Surprised no one's discussing why Windows thinks the update is malware. Why is the detection happening, and when would there be an expected fix? In future updates..? Which one?

Not many people would feel comfortable running this update after getting the message, some clarity would be nice.

Thx
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

Surprised no one's discussing why Windows thinks the update is malware.  Why is the detection happening, and when would there be an expected fix?  In future updates..?  Which one? 

Not many people would feel comfortable running this update after getting the message, some clarity would be nice. 

Thx
If you are talking about the warning you see when trying to download it, that is not a malware warning, it is a "I don't know who made this" warning because it does not have a certificate.

Not many people that read the message understand it.

MS Defender does NOT mark the file as malware
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/789 ... /detection

To answer your questions more thoroughly;
1) because Defender/smartscreen combo could not even detect it's own arse in a sandstorm.
2) It will be fixed when,
a) Microsoft AV can actually detect malware instead of just being a whitelist system.
b) when you disable scanning for potentially unwanted apps in the security center
Last edited by Dr.Flay™ on Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anth
Administrator

Post by anth »

Surprised no one's discussing why Windows thinks the update is malware.  Why is the detection happening, and when would there be an expected fix?  In future updates..?  Which one? 

Thx
May I presume we're talking about Windows Defender + SmartScreen here and not about the OS itself? If so, neither of these components think the patch is malware. They just show warnings because they don't recognize the files and because they are not digitally signed. The former can only be fixed if a large enough number of people install the patch (like many other malware scanners, Windows Defender+SmartScreen are reputation based). The latter is not feasible for us because we would have to buy a code signing certificate, which costs a lot of money. Since we are all volunteers who are not getting paid for our work, I do not think it is reasonable to expect us to buy a certificate.

Full disclosure: There is/was an issue with the libcurl.dll file we included in the patch. Although I built the file from the original source myself and I can personally vouch for its legitimacy, there are number of malware scanners that flag it as potential malware. This is, unfortunately, a common problem with libcurl. libcurl is an easy-to-use networking library that supports a large number of network protocols. For this reason, a lot of malware authors use it too. UT469 uses libcurl to download filelist updates on the server side. This is an optional feature which is disabled by default, and which is never used on game clients. Thus, it is safe to remove the file from your UT/System folder after installing the patch.

In the next patch, we will include an updated version of libcurl which currently only gets flagged by a few malware scanners. We've already uploaded this new version to our GitHub repository: https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... 216a614b9c

There is also an open issue on our GitHub tracker on this topic:
https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... /issues/20
effEX
OldUnreal Member

Post by effEX »

Yes, I consider Defender + SS a part of the OS since AFAIK it can't be permanently disabled (at least easily).

Thank you for addressing the concern in detail.

Any chance Epic shells out for signing for the final release..? :P
Rubie
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rubie »

Thx
May I presume we're talking about Windows Defender + SmartScreen here and not about the OS itself? If so, neither of these components think the patch is malware. They just show warnings because they don't recognize the files and because they are not digitally signed. The former can only be fixed if a large enough number of people install the patch (like many other malware scanners, Windows Defender+SmartScreen are reputation based). The latter is not feasible for us because we would have to buy a code signing certificate, which costs a lot of money. Since we are all volunteers who are not getting paid for our work, I do not think it is reasonable to expect us to buy a certificate.

Full disclosure: There is/was an issue with the libcurl.dll file we included in the patch. Although I built the file from the original source myself and I can personally vouch for its legitimacy, there are number of malware scanners that flag it as potential malware. This is, unfortunately, a common problem with libcurl. libcurl is an easy-to-use networking library that supports a large number of network protocols. For this reason, a lot of malware authors use it too. UT469 uses libcurl to download filelist updates on the server side. This is an optional feature which is disabled by default, and which is never used on game clients. Thus, it is safe to remove the file from your UT/System folder after installing the patch.

In the next patch, we will include an updated version of libcurl which currently only gets flagged by a few malware scanners. We've already uploaded this new version to our GitHub repository: https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... 216a614b9c

There is also an open issue on our GitHub tracker on this topic:
https://github.com/OldUnreal/UnrealTour ... /issues/20

The problem does only exist with UT patch 469 series I never did have this with the Unreal 227J patches and there are many as you know :)
So if I want to use the editor or the game exec my Panda antivirus does block everything , same happens with Avast AV as I did tested it on a old laptop to be sure I'm not telling jokes in here. On my servers I did installed it without a problem (Windows Server2016 Edition) and sofar it run with less crashes than the 451 ver. ! so this is all okay if we talk about Windows Systems . There must be another reason than a certificate or maybe just this I have no Idea but also on download the Firefox browser did alerted me it was a potential risk :( I did ignored this off course :)

Greets,

Rubie

ps. it is really annoying I do need to stop all AV services to use it on My Computer
I have no signature :)
MamiyaOtaru

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

would love to see an Arm binary for Linux.  UT 451 runs on the Raspberry Pi 4 using Box86 ( https://github.com/ptitSeb/box86 ), though you have to jump through hoops to get the OSS sound working. 

FPS gets down into the mid 20s sometimes, which is probably due to having to translate x86->arm on the fly. 

469a does not yet work with Box86.  I've let the author know, and maybe Box86 gets changed so that it does (seen him do that with multiple programs so far), but again, I'd love to see a native Arm version

*EDIT*
box86 patched ( https://github.com/ptitSeb/box86/commit ... 333276c550 ), 469a now runs on the pi 4.  FPS at the top of Morpheus looking down has gone from 27 in 451 to 40 in 469.  So that's great!  Menu text in non monitor native res looks pretty bad compared to 451, but so what really. Also actually noticing screen tear now, which I didn't with 451.  And who knows if that is the new patch, or box86 or some combo.  But wow it runs better. Still, native pls ;)
Last edited by MamiyaOtaru on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”