For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Skinning the Steg model

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

EvilGrins
OldUnreal Member

Skinning the Steg model

Post by EvilGrins »

What we have here is a model made by Roger McManus, who made a lot of interesting models which seemed very much like cartoon characters or sports team mascots...
...although, more demented types might think this one looks like a dinosaur sex doll.

So far as it goes, nothing about the model needed fixing... but the default skin wasn't setup correctly.

The .int file looks right minus 2 significant issues:
It lists "steg" for every part of the model, which confuses the setup... plus he didn't really need to put a name on each part of the skin, mostly only needed for the 1st part and the face selection.

If the skin had multiple faces, sure but it didn't. Although the naming of the face can be beneficial for the Talk Texture sometimes.

The other problem is the .utx file:
Not all of what is listed in the .int is in the .utx, which is problematic on so many levels.

The weird thing is though... the default skin works. It shouldn't work, if you did this for nearly any other model it wouldn't work, and yet...

Regardless, I made 6 extra skins for it.

I basically took default textures outta UT, bunch of random stuff, and mixed & matched; all with team colors... usually the overall skin but on one I only team colored the back & tail spines along with the claws & talons plus the belly.

Screenshots of individual skins in the .zip, and before anyone asks... with 1 or 2 rare exceptions, anybody can skin most any model or monster if they know what they're doing.

You'll need Advanced Model Support to run this.

Potential Issue: I use these models on bots, but when I choose them for myself the Team Colors work but not completely. Eyes, belly, spines, claws, & talons get a little wonky. So, these skins work better on bots than human players.

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/p0bz89kyyg61hgl/steg.zip

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”