For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Error When Launching custom game Spatial Fear

UT now belongs to the "old" Unreal as well. Supporting it for OpenGL and Sound its time to put up a board now.

Moderator: Buggie

Fred
OldUnreal Member

Error When Launching custom game Spatial Fear

Post by Fred »

Hello,

On a new build with Windows 10 (fuly updated) installed, I get the following error message when launching the game Spatial Fear from desktop icon:

The procedure entry point
?CallDefault Proc@Window@@UAEHIU@Z could not be located in
the dynamic link library C:\Unreal Tournament\System\Spatial Fear

The game is installed in the UT folder, as per installation instructions.
I've installed the UT update 469b, if that matters.

I reinstalled the game, but that move didn't resolve the error message.
I did a Google search, which indicated that the error is caused by a .dll issue. What .dll?
I ran SFC, it found and corrected some files, but nothing that fixed the error I'm getting with Spatial Fear.
I also did a fresh install of Oldskool239, before installing Spatial Fear.

Also, I have Spatial Fear installed on another PC running Windows 10, and it works perfectly.

If you need more information, just ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks

Fred
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Re: Error When Launching custom game Spatial Fear

Post by Victor Delacroix »

469b breaks mods that have renamed UnrealTournament.exe with replaced icon. Luckily that's an easy fix.

UnrealTournament.exe INI=SpatialFear.ini UserINI=SFPEUser.ini

Don't run through the exes enclosed with the mod!
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Hey Victor,

I like your optimism about an easy fix. Regrettably, I don't understand what I should do to fix the error message. I think I can do what is required, but I need additional instructions. Can you elaborate, and provide more exact steps I need to take?

Thanks much for taking the time and interest in my time 0f need.

Fred
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

I apologize. I assumed you were somewhat fluent in the basics of Windows operations. It is clear you have no idea what you're doing, very likely (please clarify if so) coming from another operating system, or maybe simply never had the need to learn these things?

The very fact you don't even know what a .dll is is a testament to that.

But, now that I know the symptom, I think I can treat the "disease".

First off, we'll handle File Extensions, since if you don't know what a .dll is, you likely have never seen one? They are present aplenty but with one setting not set properly, you would honestly be forgiven to have never seen one.

Please, follow this tutorial.

https://vtcri.kayako.com/article/296-vi ... windows-10

Now, after it, you'll have the file extensions present and will be able to identify file types easier.

---------------------------------

Now, enter UnrealTournament's system folder. DLL files present aplenty, am I right or am I right? Now, the thing about them is that unlike .u files which are UnrealScript, the .dll files are what is usually called "native code", in this case C++. As for why that matters, is because how Unreal operates. While UnrealScript code usually works on more than one version (build) of the game to an extent (there's a large margin of error, a leeway if you will), native code is version-fixed. Meaning, .dlls from 469b will not do well with an .exe made for 436 which is true in the case of Spatial Fear's executable. However, Spatial Fear's exe is just modified to run the game with specific ini files and a custom splash screen. While I don't know if splash screens can be invoked in any way by command line, INI files are possible to be invoked via command line. Which is what we are going to do here.

----------------------------------

So, what we want to do is make a shortcut for UnrealTournament.exe, right-click it and go into properties. It'll show a window, with one line including "X:\Path\UnrealTournament.exe" or something similar. What you want to do is to make it look like:

"X:\Path\UnrealTournament.exe" INI=SpatialFear.ini UserINI=SFPEUser.ini

Hit Apply and double-click the shortcut. If everything was done properly, you should be now running Spatial Fear.

Of course X:\Path is just an example, it can be anything ranging from C:\UnrealTournament to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps'\common\Unreal Tournament - you get the gist of it by now, right?

Lemme know how it worked for you?
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Victor,

Yeah, you're right. I'm just a Windows user, with little to no knowledge of what goes on behind the scene. Anyway, there's no shame in knowing nothing about all that. I'll get back to you after I implement your instructions. I haven't managed to get around to that task yet. Thanks much for you time and effort.

I play games, not just vintage Unreal type games, but more recent releases, such as Fallout 4 and Fallout 76. I like them all. Ha!

Fred
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Victor,

OK, I managed to apply your instructions (you know your stuff). After doing that, the game Spatial Fear launched, and on the first screen, with music, and where you get the options at the top (Single Player, Options, Extras, Help), my mouse curser gets stuck in the middle of the screen.

I can't use the mouse to do anything. I had to use Ctrl Alt Del to get Task Manager to close it down. The mouse works everywhere else, so I need another instruction of how to get the mouse to work in Spatial Fear.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Fred
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Open spatialfear.ini and look for the following:

CaptureMouse=False

change this to True and save the file. Had the same problem and this worked.

Also I made a typo in the UserIni department. Here's the proper command line:

UnrealTournament.exe -INI=spatialfear.ini -USERINI=SPFEUser.ini

(SPFE, not SFPE, missed that bit prior, sorry about that).
Fred
OldUnreal Member

Post by Fred »

Victor,

Yes! As you instructed, I changed the Capture Mouse from False to True. I can now use the mouse in Spatial Fear. You are the man!

Also, funny how I entered the user.ini fix, following everything you stated, including with your typo, and it still worked! Maybe I should leave well enough alone.

Oh well, I'll go back and make the change, and remove the typo. I hope the fix still works after I do that. Ha!

Fred

Later edit: I corrected the typo in the fix, and the game still launched. Looks like the typo didn't matter. Funny how these things sometimes work.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Its not really funny that it works. In that case it probably created ini file with that name, meaning some specific things from the original preconfigured ini for spatial fear might have gotten lost. So you should make sure you always run it with the correct one intended for it, just in case...The game did run, but you might miss some bits or settings.You're just telling the game to run with different configuration files than usual. There's no magic to this.

The user ini is responsible for the keybinds etcetera. But it probably doesn't matter too much since you can configure them that way anew via the menu.
But if some things didn't get accounted for during the new ini creation, they won't now. That's the risk with the tyop.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

The ini primarily also includes the current player settings such as player class and skin. These may matter for certain gametypes, so good for you for using the proper ini now!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Victor Delacroix wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:31 pm The ini primarily also includes the current player settings such as player class and skin. These may matter for certain gametypes, so good for you for using the proper ini now!
True, though many gametypes automatically replace the player if one is found that is not matching. Cannot confirm if that's the case with spatial fear as I'm not using that now and am not on a windows machine now.

Return to “UnrealTournament General Forum”