For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Enhanced Monster Skins

URP - the Unreal Retexturing Project: for those who are interested in High-Resolution Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament or may want to take part in creating them

Moderator: ahaigh01

Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Re: Enhanced Monster Skins

Post by Skywolf »

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/StoneTitanBack.jpg[/img]
Dat sweet High-Definition ass :D.

Those larger monsters are probably the ones that benefit the most from this project. This looks soo much better than the blurry blobs we have been looking at all these years. Keep up the good work :).
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
Sat42
OldUnreal Member

Post by Sat42 »

I agree with Skywolf, the high res Titan skins are really notable, kind of the opposite of the Mercs (for reasons you already mentioned).

I wonder what's up with that small defect in the Titan mesh, though... funny how such things keep popping up after all these years!
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Post by Lightning_Hunter »

I agree with Skywolf, the high res Titan skins are really notable, kind of the opposite of the Mercs (for reasons you already mentioned).
Yeah, the Titan is the main reason I started this project.  I just wanted to get some experience by completing the other monsters first before I attempted it.  The Mercenary skin looks better in-game if you look at it close up.  From a distance, there is almost no difference between the original skin and the new one.  I was actually impressed by the original Mercenary skin after having worked on it.  The lowest quality skin by far was the Warlord.
I wonder what's up with that small defect in the Titan mesh, though... funny how such things keep popping up after all these years!
I don't know, but I sure wish it could be fixed.  There are actually two defects on the skin.  Look at the Titan's right thigh in the first screenshot on the last page, and you will see the skin doesn't match up.  On the other side of the Titan, this is not an issue.
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For High-Res Unreal skins, click here.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

The problem is that for some reason some polygons in the Titan have their texture UV's setup wrong. I think this must have happened during some conversion process during development as the model was mirrored during modeling while the issue only occurs on one side of the model.

Anyway, Because I have nothing better to do did I decide to look up how I could fix this. I know how to model in Blender but Unreal's model format is from a different time and dimension so it took me a while to figure out how to do this.

For those interested this is what I did: Extracted the .3d files using UnrealEd and imported the _d.3d file into Milkshape3D. Then exported this as .obj file and imported this into Blender and corrected the UVs in there. Then exported it as .obj again and re-imported it into Milkshape3D as uv only. Then Exported it back to .3d format. Then opened this in UnrealFX to setup the double sides and masked polygons. Then saved that and FINALLY imported that into Unreal again using the original _a.3d file to keep the animations.

Took me about a day to figure this garbage out but here is the result:
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Although this fixes the 5 polygons (yes, there were two more) with wrong UVs does it also slightly change the UV mapping in the entire model. Most noticable in the metal part around the neck/back. This is caused by Milkshape and I'm not sure how to get around this.

EDIT: By snapping the pixels and creating a small offset I got a better result. It's still not the same as the original Titan but I don't think a player will be able to tell the difference without comparing the two.
[img][/img]
Last edited by Skywolf on Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Great job! You will have to upload it when you are finished so I can test it with the new skins. Maybe sn260591 can modify his mutator to replace the Titan mesh with the new one.

Since you know how to fix Unreal models, I was wondering if it would also be worth fixing an issue I noticed with the Warlord. The "cape" part that hangs down the front of the Warlord is green underneath. This is especially noticeable if the warlord is dead, and you are looking up the "skirt". :P An easy way to see this is to open NaliLord.unr, type suicide, ghost, then fly underneath the land to look up at the Warlord standing there.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

Not seeing the problem to be honest. It's the same color as the front of it which makes sense considering it's a piece of cloth.

Maybe I'm missing something though. Can you post a screenshot of what you mean?
Carbon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Carbon »

Gotta say, I'm pretty stoked about your work Skywolf. This is one of those things that will really enhance the game, much like DieHard's work on the textures.

Thanks for the work so far. Hope you get this out when it's ready!
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

The updated _d.3d could also make it into 227 if it's not already corrected. iirc we've implemented a few corrected models so far (I think the pupae is one of them)
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

Maybe sn260591 can modify his mutator to replace the Titan mesh with the new one.
Yes, I can do it.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

By popular demand are here the files. Comes with an already made .u file and the _d.3d file to be used with the original _a.3d file (which you have to export yourself).
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

Thanks, I added it to package.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

This screenshot is pretty much the completed skin I just did for the Slith, but you can see that the area below the chest has a messed up part.  I assume this is another issue with a mesh.  It looks like the skin is not matching up, but I think it is another mirroring problem.

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/Slith.jpg[/img]

Edit:  Did some modifications to the skin, but I kept the first screenshot around since the bug is more visible in it.  Skywolf, can this mesh also be fixed?

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/SlithNew.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

It's a line in the model itself:
[img]http://imgur.com/rlCCfOH.jpg[/img]

Probably not going to fix that easily.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

Gopostal is right. The problem is how the model is textured.
[img][/img]

Because the polygon in the right is a mirrored version of the polygon on the left does it not connect properly to the two in the middle. Maybe you can do some texture editing to get around this but that wont be easy.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

I'll probably just leave it as is. If I ever tweak the skin, it will be much later. I first want to get through the rest of the skins.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

For fun, here is an alternate Titan skin.  Maybe I'll use it somewhere in RTNP:UE...

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/TitanALT.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/Titan_Alt2.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlCapowned
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlCapowned »

The skins are looking fantastic so far. If you plan on doing the fly, pupae, and devilfish skins, there are 256x256 alpha/beta textures that are pretty close to the originals. It would be great to see those enhanced.

For the slith, I gave it skeletal animations a while ago, so I might be able to fix the skin problem by editing the model, and then I could convert it to a vertex mesh. I don't think it would look too out of place because I did a pretty good job of keeping the animations accurate to the originals.

Edit: Looking at the skeletal slith, it seems that I already fixed that problem with the model, just not for the one that I released.
Last edited by AlCapowned on Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

I'm Sorry, but I completely ignored this thread and project all the time for a specific reason. But it looks really nice and I would love to see it finished and usable.

But here is the issue: The monsters are in UnrealI.u and UnrealShare.u. How in earth do you get these updated without getting all kind of rotten issues? Especially file signature checks in Unreal servers? Are there any plans of getting these high-res monsters to be included in Unreal 227 when the project is finished?

Edit: 2666 posts.
Last edited by Hyper on Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

If i remember correctly is the model for the Dispersion Pistol updated in 227j. It gets rid of the flat shading on the cylinder thingy that you get from the second upgrade. And this doesnt cause any conflicts online either.
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Here is the Gasbag. I decided to make this skin in 4096x4096, because of the Giant Gasbag. The gasbag skin is probably the second most detailed skin in the original Unreal, after the Merc skin. As such, the difference from a distance isn't huge, but up close, the new skin is far more detailed - especially on the Giant Gasbag.

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/GiantGasBag2.jpg[/img]

Original Skin:
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/GiantGasBagOriginal.jpg[/img]

A different pose:
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/GiantGasBag.jpg[/img]
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Has there be any communication with Smirftsch about a possible integration of this project into the Unreal 227 builds when it is finished?
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

Hey sn260591, I tried your mutator today finally, but it crashed UT99 every time.  It fed me some B.S. about being out of memory, but this is not the real reason for the crash.  The game runs fine without your mutator.  Can you test your latest version and re-upload if necessary?

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/l_hunter8/errorhdskins.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Lightning_Hunter on Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

Try it [url]http://www.mediafire.com/download/kqwm7s7tw9qwgz2/HDSkins_mutator_test2.zip[/url]
Lightning_Hunter
OldUnreal Member

It still crashes with the same message. :-?
sn260591
OldUnreal Member

Post by sn260591 »

This occurs on any map? Which game version do you use?

Return to “High-Res Textures for Unreal & UnrealTournament”