For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Drawing limit

The forum related to the Usermaps section, please ask questions here. This board is for mappers to discuss and exchange experiences
Rikia
OldUnreal Member

Drawing limit

Post by Rikia »

Hey guys, I'm making a big map and have a drawing limit.
You can see it when you walk on the borders of map. It looks like a hole that changes it's size when you walk against or to it, and it can be complete black or full of graphic glitches. I thought that this drawing limit is normal for a 1998 engine, but once I understood that it is not normal, because when I tried my map on my friend's computer I found that there wasn't that drawing limit.
Is there an option supposed to change the drawing limit?

Unreal 227i patch only.

And also, how to add fog to the skybox? I'm doing a night city map with fog and bright buildings in skybox spoil the view of it. The ZoneInfo actor with fog options doesn't work in skybox.
Last edited by Rikia on Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Drawing limit

Post by Hellkeeper »

There's a max culling distance in Unreal. I don't remember what it is but it should be quite far away. If you're reaching it, you're doing something really huge.

Fog in skybox doesn't work, try to use a fogring (a fading texture in a ring around the skyzoneinfo in the skybox) to simulate it.
Rikia
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rikia »

Hellkeeper wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:46 am There's a max culling distance in Unreal. I don't remember what it is but it should be quite far away. If you're reaching it, you're doing something really huge.

Fog in skybox doesn't work, try to use a fogring (a fading texture in a ring around the skyzoneinfo in the skybox) to simulate it.
EDIT: I deleted this post before site changed the server and they used backups that contained this post.

Fogring? Is this a brush with transparent dark texture?
Thank you for the suggestion, but I found a solution of a problem long time ago by darkening textures in skybox.
But your solution seems way simplier, than making a new textures, and I'll probably use it in my future projects.

The drawing limit also does not exist if you play Unreal on newer renderers, DX10, DX11, I think.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Yes, you make a circle of sheets around the skyzoneinfo in the skybox and give them a texture which fades from transparent at the top to solid solour at the bottom.
Here's an exemple from UT2003 (it's a mesh but you can do it easily with BSP sheets)
Fogringmesh.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

A skybox can have fog or distancefog, just the zone that the player is standing in needs to have fog enabled, aswel as the skybox for it to work.

The cylindrical glow sheet in the skybox is a really good technique too.
Rikia
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rikia »

Kajgue wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:31 pm A skybox can have fog or distancefog, just the zone that the player is standing in needs to have fog enabled, aswel as the skybox for it to work.

The cylindrical glow sheet in the skybox is a really good technique too.
Hello, Kajgue.

The emptyness of my outbox messages was suspicious. Did my message reach you?
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Heya Rikia,

Outbox message? Do you mean as in a private message? Hmm I don't see any new private messages my end yet, maybe some parts of the forum are still in some maintenance state since migration.

Thanks for letting me know though, we'll look into it!
Rikia
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rikia »

Kajgue wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:55 pm Heya Rikia,

Outbox message? Do you mean as in a private message? Hmm I don't see any new private messages my end yet, maybe some parts of the forum are still in some maintenance state since migration.

Thanks for letting me know though, we'll look into it!
But can we talk about the subject that I wrote in this message? I saved the text. But there is a topic in the modeling. Or can I add you on Steam for a private talk?

I know your account. You shouldn't post any info about it here, if it's important for you.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Hi Rikia, sure if you know my steam account, you can add me there, though i don't know what the message content is about, as i don't see any new private messages just yet.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

This reads like you're about to discuss illegal drugs and bitcoin transactions in private. :D
Rikia
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rikia »

Hellkeeper wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:58 am This reads like you're about to discuss illegal drugs and bitcoin transactions in private. :D
I would joke about "digitalized couriers who have a secret info and live on the Unreal servers netsystem, but doesn't need a specific 3D body instead of some number of coded lines", but I'm not sure that Net Security is always understand that kind of humour.

Actually we talked about problems with skeletal playermodes importing to Unreal. There is no concrete tutorial about it.
We would like if we will get something like for UT in future.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

;D thumbsup
Rikia
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rikia »

Hellkeeper wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:58 am
Can I ask a question, is this normal that some bots in botmatch don't move on the map until they see enemy?
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

The map probably has no pathnodes, so Bots have no navigation network to use. When seeing an enemy, they begin combat and move around to dodge and close in on the enemy.
Rikia
OldUnreal Member

Post by Rikia »

Hellkeeper wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:34 am The map probably has no pathnodes, so Bots have no navigation network to use. When seeing an enemy, they begin combat and move around to dodge and close in on the enemy.
Yes it is, but just I forgot to note, that this question was only about bots)

Just we made an experimental basic skeletal character. Here's issues: https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=14367

It is a glitch. We seeking the solution right now)

Return to “Usermaps”