For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

[227i][Beta / WIP]Nali Abbey (Working Title)

The forum related to the Usermaps section, please ask questions here. This board is for mappers to discuss and exchange experiences
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

[227i][Beta / WIP]Nali Abbey (Working Title)

Post by AlexNitro44 »

After receiving great feedback from the images I posted of this map, I think it's time to let you try it out.

Introducing: Nali Abbey!
(Working title, but who cares?) :D

The map was initally an experiment in modelling real-world locations inside UnrealEd. As the scale of the task set in, I adapted the work into a fantasy setting, complete with rustic buildings and open areas. The map is about 60% complete, but has some issues.

Screenshots

All screenshots were captured using HD model and texture packs.

More images are available at: https://imgur.com/a/USjSN

Current Issues

There are some issues with the map in its current state. There are a few collision issues, as well as HOM effects and disappearing meshes in reflections. Lighting could be much improved, particularly in regards to the static meshes.

A fast computer is needed to fully enjoy this map. If you are experiencing issues, disabling real-time shadows and decals really speeds things up! Setting HighDetailActors to false in your renderer's Advanced Options menu will also improve performance, particularly with weaker integrated graphics.

Combat is in a very early state - there may not be enough health or ammo for some players (seek the hidden shield belt if you're stuck ;)).

Downloads

You can download the map here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AolLIuaFNTW16wkfNQkZc9TaB26V

(please let me know if there are any issues with the link)

Feedback
I hope you enjoy this preview of my upcoming map! I hope to release it in time for the 20th anniversary of Unreal, though with my busy personal life that may not be certain. Please let me know what you think of the map, as well as how it performs on your system - this will help me make the map even better for its final release![reason]Small grammar tweaks[/reason]
Last edited by AlexNitro44 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: [227i][Beta / WIP]Nali Abbey (Working Title)

Post by Hellkeeper »

I don't have much time right now to test, but the screenshots are lovely.
Except maybe the bridge. It's weird. :D
You must construct additional pylons.
yrex .
OldUnreal Member

Post by yrex . »

Regarding the mesh lighting, look here:

(Do this in the original map; I only copied it for convenience.)
My work | contact: ampoyrex at wp dot pl
strategy-(DOG)-
OldUnreal Member

Post by strategy-(DOG)- »

very nice! please let us know as soon as you consider your map as finished - i would like to add your map to the maprotation of newbies coop-servers.
[ no tolerance for intolerance ]
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlexNitro44 »

very nice! please let us know as soon as you consider your map as finished - i would like to add your map to the maprotation of newbies coop-servers.
Thanks for the interest! Unfortunately I am very busy at the moment, and as such I am currently unable to put much time into the map. That being said, I expect to have more free time from late February, so I will be able to finish this.
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlexNitro44 »

Sorry for the lack of updates on this project, life got in the way again. :(

That being said, I found time to polish a few parts of the map. I added a few reflective surfaces, modified window transparency on the abbey and improved performance when outside. Static mesh lighting has been tweaked, and I also slightly modified the windmill - the balcony is accessible without cheats now! :)

If you're still having performance issues, disable HighDetailActors and ShinySurfaces in your renderer settings, and disable decoration shadows! The latter is the biggest performance drain on this map. Unfortunately there are still disappearing surfaces, but invisible collision has been minimised.

As a bonus, I made a quick and dirty port to 226 - it is on the limits of BSP node count for that version, and exists purely as a curiosity. It won't compile in UnrealEd 1.0 due to some polys in the map having >=16 sides. It's also possible to run this under UT99 with the OldSkool mod, if you really want to.

Here's the link to the new versions:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AolLIuaFNTW18G0IAhguks7afP6q

Please let me know if there are any issues running this.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

Hey Alex, I just wanted to ask how the progress of this map was going? It looks good judging from the screenshots, and I remember being eager to see it finished before!
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
Buster
Global Moderator

Post by Buster »

Yeah, the screenshots look great. My laptop is ancient and living its last days, so I may not be able to run the map the way it should be. That sucks. I've been missing out on quite a few things.

Anyway, how about some more screen shots for those of us technologically challenged? I'd really like to see more of the map.

:)

Gatherstone - Unreal by Design
https://gatherstone.oldunreal.com

OK - he falls
Keep it Unreal !!
:-)_~
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlexNitro44 »

Just a quick update for those wondering about this project:

I haven't forgotten about it, but I just haven't been feeling motivated to put work into it lately. Coupled with the intense workload I will have over the next year (I'm a final year university student), it's not likely I'll be able or willing to sink time into the project. At best it'll be a few weeks over Christmas and Easter breaks, coupled with the odd weekend.

I understand the hype behind this map, especially for co-op gameplay. I wish to apologise for the delay, and I want this map released as much as I do.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

What do you study? :D
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

That's no worries dude :) Take your time because there's no rush.

Best of luck with your university studies aswel!
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard

Return to “Usermaps”