For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Broken AI around WarpZones

UnrealEd 2.1 (227i) and UnrealEd 2.2 (227j), for Unreal 227. With many additions, bugfixes and improvements. Ask mapping related questions, or give hints, tips and tricks.
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Broken AI around WarpZones

Post by AlexNitro44 »

I am having issues with AI behaviour around WarpZones. I have added path nodes throughout the map and built the network. There seems to be connections to the WarpZoneInfo actors, but monsters don't seem to notice the player on the other side of the portal. I've tried placing pathnodes in the WarpZones, but the behaviour still persists.

Here's a video of the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/XFm7OH28tUs

The enemy turns to where the other side of the portal is in space, and then ignores the player after a short while, as if the portal was a brick wall. This makes killing monsters near the portal very easy, and in some cases telefragging is possible.

Is there anything else I need to do in order to get this to work?

Last edited by AlexNitro44 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Re: Broken AI around WarpZones

Post by Krull0r »

Do you have enough place behind the Portal?

Maybe try LiftCenter and LiftExit to force the AI to go through it.

And are you able to upload screenshots from the top view of both sides of your WarpZone.

AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlexNitro44 »

Here is a gallery containing top and 3D views of both portals:

Both top view screenshots are at a grid size of 16 units - there is 80 units behind each portal. The portal surfaces are there - I had to apply a black masked texture to them, as the Invisible flag didn't work for some reason.

I will try adding a liftCenter and liftExit node to each side - how should I arrange these?
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlexNitro44 »

Added a LiftCenter node inside one of the WarpZones, and a LiftExit node outside each end... Skaarj will now walk through, though they still try to shoot through walls on occasion. Slith won't go through at all though.

Thanks for the suggestion! :)
.:..:
OldUnreal Member

Post by .:..: »

If you are mapping with 227, you can simply use regular pathnodes that you bind with "ForcedPaths" (match it with other side pathnode tag). As some monsters like sliths don't have enough intelligence to operate elevator paths.
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

True I forget about that :) this should also work ;)
AlexNitro44
OldUnreal Member

Post by AlexNitro44 »

If you are mapping with 227, you can simply use regular pathnodes that you bind with "ForcedPaths" (match it with other side pathnode tag). As some monsters like sliths don't have enough intelligence to operate elevator paths.
Thanks for the tip, it's working well now!

Return to “UnrealEd 2.x, the Unreal 227 editors”