For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Custom trigger with tt_shoot network replication

The section related to UnrealScript and modding. This board is for coders to discuss and exchange experiences or ask questions.
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Custom trigger with tt_shoot network replication

Post by Krull0r »

Hey there

I made some kind of “health trigger” which takes damage and trigger an event when the health = 0.

I also added the ability to spawn effects at the hit location When the trigger get damage.
Everything works perfekt in singleplayer but in multiplayer as client the projectile makes a hit sound and fly through the collision radius of the trigger this also happens with the normal triggers with tt_shoot.
The next problem is that the effects so don’t spawn as client.

Is there a way to get a working network replication for such a thing?
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Re: Custom trigger with tt_shoot network replication

Post by Masterkent »

Everything works perfekt in singleplayer but in multiplayer as client the projectile makes a hit sound and fly through the collision radius of the trigger this also happens with the normal triggers with tt_shoot.
Me not understands the meaning of this description and what the issue is.
The next problem is that the effects so don’t spawn as client.
What's the RemoteRole of those effects?
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

I made a short demonstration video which shows the issue:

The first part shows the singleplayer where every works as it should.
In the second part it shows how it behaves as client. The projectile do hit the trigger and the projectile do play the hit sound but the projectile fly through the trigger. This also happens with the original trigger set to TT_shoot

My Effects use the SimulatedProxy

Here is my shitty code which only works with luck :D

https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/nopaste/?147
Masterkent
OldUnreal Member

Post by Masterkent »

In the second part it shows how it behaves as client. The projectile do hit the trigger and the projectile do play the hit sound but the projectile fly through the trigger. This also happens with the original trigger set to TT_shoot
bNetTemporary projectiles are handled independently by a server and clients. When such a projectile is destroyed server-side, clients do not receive any notification about this, so you may see a "non-existing" projectile as long as your client thinks that it should exist. A client may also destroy the client-side copy of a server-side bNetTemporary projectile before destruction of the server-side projectile. These are implications of a really stupid optimization that generally causes lots of glitches in network game.

Additionally, bProjTarget is not replicated, so when the server modifies this variable, clients can't properly predict interaction of bNetTemporary projectiles with affected actors. Hence you need a custom trigger where bProjTarget would be set to True client-side (setting the default value of bProjTarget to True can suffice) in order to make client-side prediction not so bad.
That explains why your effects are not spawned on a dedicated server - you explicitly excluded such a possibility:

Code: Select all

if(Level.NetMode != NM_DedicatedServer)  
        {
            if( SpawnFX1!=None )
                Spawn(SpawnFX1,,,hitlocation);
            if( SpawnFX2!=None )
                Spawn(SpawnFX2,,,hitlocation);
            if( SpawnFX3!=None )
                Spawn(SpawnFX3,,,hitlocation);

}
A DispersionAmmo can't invoke this code client-side because its Role does not satisfy the condition Role == ROLE_Authority in DispersionAmmo.ProcessTouch:

simulated function ProcessTouch (Actor Other, vector HitLocation)
{
      If (Other!=Instigator  && DispersionAmmo(Other)==None)
      {
            bExploded = ( Other.IsA('Pawn') && !Level.bHighDetailMode );
            if ( Role == ROLE_Authority )
                  Other.TakeDamage( Damage, instigator, HitLocation, MomentumTransfer*Vector(Rotation), 'exploded');
            Explode(HitLocation, vect(0,0,1));
      }
}
If you want to optimize network bandwidth and spawn the effects client-side only (when playing on a dedicated server), you should spawn at least one actor that would serve as a client-side factory for all these effects.

class EffectsSpawner expands Info;

var class SpawnFX1, SpawnFX2, SpawnFX3;

replication
{
      reliable if (Role == ROLE_Authority)
            SpawnFX1, SpawnFX2, SpawnFX3;
}

function Setup(class SpawnFX1, class SpawnFX2, class SpawnFX3)
{
      self.SpawnFX1 = SpawnFX1;
      self.SpawnFX2 = SpawnFX2;
      self.SpawnFX3 = SpawnFX3;
}

simulated event PostNetBeginPlay()
{
      SpawnEffects();
}

simulated function SpawnEffect(class EffectClass)
{
      local Actor A;

if (EffectClass == none)
            return;
      A = Spawn(EffectClass,,, Location);
      if (A != none)
            A.RemoteRole = ROLE_None;
}

simulated function SpawnEffects()
{
      SpawnEffect(SpawnFX1);
      SpawnEffect(SpawnFX2);
      SpawnEffect(SpawnFX3);
}

defaultproperties
{
      bNetTemporary=True
      bHidden=False
      DrawType=DT_None
      LifeSpan=1
      RemoteRole=ROLE_SimulatedProxy
}

EffectsSpawner = Spawn(class'EffectsSpawner',,, HitLocation);
if (EffectsSpawner != none)
{
      EffectsSpawner.Setup(SpawnFX1, SpawnFX2, SpawnFX3);
      if (Level.NetMode != NM_DedicatedServer)
            EffectsSpawner.SpawnEffects();
}
Last edited by Masterkent on Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

Hey Masterkent

Thanks for your help :) it works now and I found an other method to get it work right. I forgot about the other collision bools in actor.
I simply allowed the trigger to toggle all non constant collision bools with initially active.

The effects do spawn now and the trigger block projectiles as well in multiplayer as client. :)

Return to “UScript Board”