For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Blender Vertex Mesh export Plugin [V1.2.5].

Questions and tools for modelling.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Re: Blender Vertex Mesh export Plugin [V1.2.5].

Post by Skywolf »

New update. Fixes the weapon triangle not exporting properly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1e495ts80hrni ... 3.zip?dl=0

Code: Select all

#   1.3.3 - 19-1-2019
#       -Fixed vertex order for polygons to fix weapon triangle.
#       -Made animation import use sequence for keyframe playback (instead of relative). Functionally the same but much cleaner as it is the intended way to do vertex based animation.
#       -Removed some console output when importing. This slowed down the process quite a lot so it now requires setting the bDebug flag to True in import_unreal_3d.py
As for Blender 2.8 support. At the moment 2.8 is still in beta. When it's released I will test to see if the plugin still works and make changed where neccesary. Considering it relies on some features from the Blender internal renderer (which is removed in 2.8) might some things (like getting the texture names from the material textures) not work anymore. Or differently. But we will see.
Last edited by Skywolf on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

So what should I do?How to fix this trackback error?I also can't Share map levels of imported dungeon map from jj3d into unreal tournament editor I mean unreal editor/engine 4.16 even Forts map replica because errors are occuring each time I'll try Share these maps.
Last edited by luke11685 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

Just download and install the new version (link in my previous reply).

Have a difficult time understanding what you are saying so not sure what you are trying to do but it seems like you're trying to import/export levels using this plugin? If so: This plugin only works on Uneal Vertex Meshes. For levels and brushes you will have to use other formats.
Last edited by Skywolf on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament ::).
Bogie12

Post by Bogie12 »

YESSS this is great! You're doing unreal work, man!
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

YESSS this is great! You're doing unreal work, man!
You are absolutely right about that!!! I can’t describe how important this plugin is for my work!

Thank you very much @ Skywolf for creating this amazing and powerful tool
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Just download and install the new version (link in my previous reply).

Have a difficult time understanding what you are saying so not sure what you are trying to do but it seems like you're trying to import/export levels using this plugin? If so: This plugin only works on Uneal Vertex Meshes. For levels and brushes you will have to use other formats.
Yesterday I figured out(speaking of importing maps) how to extract maps (related PC games that were powered by unreal engine 1)in UT4XConverter instead of Unreal Tournament I chose Unreal first in options (Unreal Gold instead of Jazz Jackrabbit 3), but honestly I used JazzGruff's unofficial patch 1.3c so I patched the game so it started working properly.Anyway as for importing 3d models I'll download newer version of this plug-in I mean Blender 2.79c today later.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Guys there's one more thing I want to know.Is it possible to import animated 3d model for example old jazz Jackrabbit model from jj3d alpha demo that was powered by unreal engine 1 to Unreal Editor 4.16 I mean Unreal Tournament (2016) Editor UT4Ed.exe(just kidding there's no such a file)I want to know? It's important for me because (sorry about duplicating post) I want to make character mod in ut4, but I'm not sure if this will work.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

Don't know if JJ3D uses vertex meshes or skeletal ones. In case of skeletal ones you might be able to convert them as there is a plugin for it for Blender (although it isn't perfect). If they are Vertex Meshes will you likely have to rig them yourself before exporting them to UE4.
Last edited by Skywolf on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

@luke11685

This guy uses Orginal Unreal vertex mesh animations for unreal engine 4.
It seems to be possible with morth targets and timelines.

He is doing that all with Unreal Engine 4 blueprints but I guess no one here can tell you to setup such blueprints
The Internet must be full of resources about this.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Thanks Krullor.AnywayDid someone try making charcter mods for Unreal Tournament 1999(just saying I hope I didn't confuse you) perhaps I'll try it someday I hope it's not very complicated?One more thing why there are no visible skeletal meshes for example in old jazz jackrabbit model 3d animations if .a_3d and .d_3d files(22 animations)all of them are imported to Blender even wireframe mode or even X-Ray armature modifier won't solve this problem?Right now I'm talking about importing models and animations to ut4editor of course.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Thanks Krullor.AnywayDid someone try making charcter mods for Unreal Tournament 1999(just saying I hope I didn't confuse you) perhaps I'll try it someday I hope it's not very complicated?
You mean did someone make new playable models for UT99? Because there have been so many done that it'd be hard to find a model not playable in Unreal. SkinCity had something like a thousand million of them.
You must construct additional pylons.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

I host a torrent for skincity's entire db of skins and models if anyone wants it.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Sat42
OldUnreal Member

Post by Sat42 »

I host a torrent for skincity's entire db of skins and models if anyone wants it.

I think I would be interested in sifting through that database gopostal :)
Last edited by Sat42 on Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gopostal
OldUnreal Member

Post by gopostal »

The last post in [link=https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13072]this[/link] thread has the torrent attached. You can download the torrent without having to log in or have an account. I've also submitted it to 1337x and I'll post back when it's approved. I'm seeding it now.
I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day
Sat42
OldUnreal Member

Post by Sat42 »

Thanks gopostal! Missed the window I'm afraid, got the torrent link but it's stalled, will keep it for a while and if you can seed again I'll take advantage 8-)
MrRobotBear
OldUnreal Member

Post by MrRobotBear »

Hey!

I just noticed the first post says the normal (and default) material flag is _NOMRAL instead of _NORMAL. I assume that's a typo just in the post and that it should be fine naming it _NORMAL in Blender.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

And you assume correct:

Code: Select all

#=======================================================================
# Polygon flags tuples.
#=======================================================================
polytype =   (("_NORMAL", "_NM", 0),
             ("_2SIDED", "_DD", 1),
             ("_TRANSLUCENT_", "_LU", 2),
             ("_MASKED", "_CL", 3),
             ("_MODULATED", "_MD", 4),
             ("_ALPHABLEND", "_AB", 5),
             ("_WEAPONTRI", "_PH", 8))

polyflags =  (("_UNLIT", "_UL", 16),
             ("_FLAT", "_FL", 32),
             ("_ENVIRONMENT", "_RF", 64),
             ("_NOSMOOTH", "_NS", 128))
Can't edit my original post anymore though. So can't fix that typo. :-[
MrRobotBear
OldUnreal Member

Post by MrRobotBear »

Ah, missed the part about not being able to edit the original post.

Just tried the plugin in 2.8, didn't work. Would be cool to have it work with 2.8 though, as that's quite an upgrade (especially UI wise) to 2.79.
Krull0r
Global Moderator

Post by Krull0r »

@skywolf if you Klick on UpdateSession above the Forum path you can enter your username and password.
After this procedure you can modify your posts :)
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

That doesn't work on older posts. Already DM'd Smirftsch about this and this was the reply:
Uh...problem is, this is sort of forum protection. I enabled this a few years ago due to prevent people raping old threads they made, this happened after a few people had some trouble with each other, some wanted to leave and started to delete every old post they made, literally making a bunch of topics plain useless.
This is annoying in such cases like yours, but in general this is a good idea I think.
I really need to ask in the support forums if I have some admin abilities affecting this for a particular topic.
I do agree with him but as he said, it sucks for situations like mine. Doesn't matter though as I plan on writing a guide to Blender to Unreal exporting once 2.8 drops. Covering Brushes, Skeletal Meshes and, ofcourse, Vertex Meshes.
han
Global Moderator

Post by han »

That doesn't work on older posts. Already DM'd Smirftsch about this and this was the reply:
Uh...problem is, this is sort of forum protection. I enabled this a few years ago due to prevent people raping old threads they made, this happened after a few people had some trouble with each other, some wanted to leave and started to delete every old post they made, literally making a bunch of topics plain useless.
This is annoying in such cases like yours, but in general this is a good idea I think.
I really need to ask in the support forums if I have some admin abilities affecting this for a particular topic.
I do agree with him but as he said, it sucks for situations like mine. Doesn't matter though as I plan on writing a guide to Blender to Unreal exporting once 2.8 drops. Covering Brushes, Skeletal Meshes and, ofcourse, Vertex Meshes.
I also don't see why one shouldn't just enlist you as a Moderator for the Modelling board, which would also solve this issue.
HX on Mod DB. Revision on Steam. Löffels on Patreon.
MrRobotBear
OldUnreal Member

Post by MrRobotBear »

So, me and a modeler lamented the fact that there are no smoothing groups in UE1, which makes the vertex lighting look worse on a lot of models.

Since the mesh format doesn't support this, han suggested that the exporter could create duplicate vertices where you want to split up your smoothing, and translate smoothing groups in Blender to that. Would that be feasible to do? Seems like something that would be fairly simple to do programmatically.
Skywolf
OldUnreal Member

Post by Skywolf »

No reason for me to add that. Blender already has a modifer that does that for you.

In Edge Select Mode: Select the edges you want to mark a new smoothing group. Then press CTRL+E and from the pop-up menu select Mark as Sharp

Then add an Edge Split modifier and uncheck Edge Angle. It now splits all edges marked as sharp (cyan blue) like Han suggested. My exporter applies modifiers so you don't have to apply it before exporting.

I also don't see why one shouldn't just enlist you as a Moderator for the Modelling board, which would also solve this issue.
Feels kinda like an extreme solution to just editing a post. But I also ended up kinda being guy to ask questions about Blender around here (and on Discord). So I leave it up to the people in charge wether they think it's worth to mod me. :D
Last edited by Skywolf on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrRobotBear
OldUnreal Member

Post by MrRobotBear »

Ah, neat!
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Okay everything's fine for now. Anyway Unreal vertex models never had standard skeletal meshes like IK bones,but so-called animation morphing instead?
Last edited by luke11685 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Modelling”