For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Server Stability

for Unreal & UnrealTournament
RUSH
OldUnreal Member

Server Stability

Post by RUSH »

Is the Linux platform stable on 227. I get so many more crashes since moving from a Windows base platform to Linux.

I think I am better off finding a host that uses Windows.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Re: Server Stability

Post by GreatEmerald »

If you get any crashes whatsoever, please report them! They shouldn't happen at all.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I can only agree, I need to know and then I can give advices or do something about it.

My testserver is running on Linux as well, with very little problems. It seems to be slightly more vulnerable to the execClientHearSound crash, but it's still crashing only very rarely- well ok, since I am always testing new versions it appears to crash somewhat more often now and then ;)

I made a couple of fixes on some of the MH core files, especially removing circular dependencies and cleanly recompiled them with UCC, I can give you these files any time if you want, they reduced crashing behavior a lot on my test setup (and I also fixed this annoying Eightball ammo bug).
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
RUSH
OldUnreal Member

Post by RUSH »

if you don't mind sending me your updated MH I would greatly appreciate it. I am having one heck of a time even reading the logs since they download without any line breaks or spaces. I think that's the most frustrating part. I am almost to the point of running a home servers but most likely I will move to a windows platform game host.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

That's because you're using a lousy program to read the files. Again see the thread: http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1373834922
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

sure will make a package for you.
And you can send me the logs or pastebin.com them, I'll find what I need to tell you more. :)

PS: is it a problem if the packages are 227 only?
Last edited by Smirftsch on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Just for the record: Rush is running many custom content for his very popular Snipers Paradise servers. Just like with my custom servers this is more likely to trigger rarely known issues with the game. That makes his servers probably a welcome test subject. (In this case for Linux)
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

I'm running a lot of his setup for quite some time already as part of my testserver in order to find a fix bugs like this, he gave it to me a few years ago :)
Just that my server runs pretty stable for quite some time already...
RUSH
OldUnreal Member

Post by RUSH »

I would prefer the mod in 225 if possible but if you only have it in 227 then that would be okay.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

www.oldunreal.com/temp/SP_Updates.7z

This package contains the fixed files, also corrected/replaced the meshes everywhere possible (with the original meshes or with flawless exports).
There is no visible difference for the players though, except things like spinner doesn't freak out anymore.

The relics, not sure if you have updated them in between, it contains still a bug that when you die with speedy the increased aircontrol is being kept.
Don't wonder about the differences in size, its because the (circular) dependencies have been resolved.

This version is 227 only, but it also contains a nicely reworked teleporter.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RUSH
OldUnreal Member

Post by RUSH »

Thanks, I will add the packages and hopefully it will help with the crashing.

Thank you so much for your help and to everyone who has contributed to 227. You are keeping Unreal alive.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

porting and supporting MH and MH maps is a great job as well, not speaking about the other gametypes like assault. Glad to help you out.

But don't forget to send me some logs, I'd like to review the crashes nevertheless to see if we can do more.
BTW, do you run the server with UCCLinux.bin ?
RUSH
OldUnreal Member

Post by RUSH »

When the server crashes and restarts the log resets so I have no way that I am aware of downloading or viewing them.

I couldn't tell you if the server is ran with UCCLinix.bin. How can I tell?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

the log would reveal as well. Strange that your hosting service is giving you so limited access and information. I messed with a couple of different services over the years but never seen one like that, indeed most didn't even know how to start it up at all, since they only know UT, so had to define the startup parameters myself entirely.

Either way, do you have any influence on the startup parameters? if so, append -timestamplog and it will create a new logfile with a timestamp each time the server crashes and prevents it from being deleted.
RUSH
OldUnreal Member

Post by RUSH »

I will have them add -timestamplog to the startup and hopefully get some useful information out of it.

Thanks,
RUSH
OldUnreal Member

Post by RUSH »

Ok, I added the 5 files you sent over and I am noticing some people can't join. I tried to join with 224 and I got a couple of errors. The first reason I couldn't join was because "Can't find Engine.Pickup.Botdesireability" the second one "can't find unreal1.flackshell.hitwall".

I guess you will need to have 227 loaded to join the server.

BTW since I added the timestamplog, would that be the name of the file I would look for when the server crashes?
Last edited by RUSH on Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

This version is 227 only
Yes as said, 227 only, should set AllowOldClients to false to make them get an upgrade message instead of crashing (although in 224-226 they will be redirected to Unreal mainpage which really doesn't contain no hint anymore about the updates here, but there is not much we can do here since its hardcoded in the old clients).

It will look like this:
UCCLinux.bin.log2013_9_22_7_56_46.log
or
UnrealLinux.bin.log2013_9_21_19_6_38.log
depending on what is used to start it up.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
RUSH
OldUnreal Member

Post by RUSH »

Here is the command line for the server. Would this be the correct to implement the command line parameter. I believe it was added but I am trying to confirm since I show 2 entirely different start up commands.

server CTF[SP]Bedroom][.unr?Game=AssaultCTF.RealCTFGame?Mutator=VotingHandler.VotingHandler?MaxPlayers=12 multihome=207.198.127.110 port=7777 ini=server.ini log=server.log -nohomedir -timestamplog
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

looks fine, except nohomedir is not needed (but shouldnt do any harm either). Also Maxplayers and Port don't need to be used here if they are set correctly in the ini.
So could be cleaned up to:
server CTF[SP]Bedroom][.unr?Game=AssaultCTF.RealCTFGame?Mutator=VotingHandler.VotingHandler multihome=207.198.127.110 ini=server.ini log=server.log -timestamplog

The logfile however if using -log=server.log is named then something like: server.log2013_9_23_4_0_28.log
:)
Last edited by Smirftsch on Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
RUSH
OldUnreal Member

Post by RUSH »

I have no control over the command line. My game host edits it for me. The max player is so I don't edit my .ini and make it for more than 12 players.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

They have very little trust to their customers hu?
But well, guess this makes sense for them.
RUSH
OldUnreal Member

Post by RUSH »

Smirftsch wrote:
Yes as said, 227 only, should set AllowOldClients to false to make them get an upgrade message instead of crashing (although in 224-226 they will be redirected to Unreal mainpage which really doesn't contain no hint anymore about the updates here, but there is not much we can do here since its hardcoded in the old clients).
It's a bit confusing since you are sent to a link where there is no mention of a patch.

Could you make it so a customized message could be added by the server admin as to where to download the patch. I direct many players to my site to download the latest patch but now that I set the server to only allow 227 clients I am receiving a lot of emails from players who are confused as to where to d/l the patch.

I believe I've edited the unrealI or UnrealShare.int to say email me for password when I have the server PW on. Would it be possible to do something like that.
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Interesting to see that are many left not knowing about the patch, since 227 servers are running for years now (also 227 only servers).

Unfortunately there is almost nothing we can do here, since the update page is "hardcoded" into the old clients Engine.int and Epic deleted the page which redirected here already a few years ago, without any interest to put it up again.
Can talk with the other devs if there are new ideas how to work around this, but I see little chances, since we can't make changes to older clients without patching them in some way- which again they won't get because they don't know where then...
The information is in the Engine.int file, which is just a text file you know, but to change that from the outside is not easy, especially without the client being able to connect.
Maybe could make a redirect to a map somehow, such as entry, which contains the URL instead of dropping the connection. Need to investigate, but as said, little chances.

On the other hand, to be honest, it's not hard to find this patch, if you google for "Unreal patch" you'll find directly on the first page almost only links pointing directly or indirectly here. You don't need to be aware about Oldunreal. Even Wikipedia is mentioning it nowadays (although the direct link was yet removed again).
Personally I am really not surprised if an original patch page of a game is not existing anymore when I play a game equally old, spending 5 minutes of my time to find out more is not really asked much.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Linux-Board”