For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Save unfinished cache files

To find and remove the bugs we needed every bug known in current 226. You can still review them here.
.:..:
OldUnreal Member

Save unfinished cache files

Post by .:..: »

I had this idea while seeing those temp cache files..
Would it be possible to make it save unfinished downloads in some directory and next time ur about to download the same file again it would continue downloading it. It's just so frustating when ur downloading a 10 MB file at 95 %, then server map change and you have to start over.. or is the idea too time consuming to make?
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
Shivaxi
OldUnreal Member

Re: Save unfinished cache files

Post by Shivaxi »

omfg...this is a really good idea...i totally agree .:..: I dunno how this would work but it does seem possible :P
Image  Image
Bane
OldUnreal Member

Post by Bane »

I'd assume that doing this would be relatively simple. While downloading the file, occasionally dump what has been downloaded so far into the file .tmp. When starting a download, check to see if this file exists. If so, open the file and resume the download from there. I've never tried doing anything with saving files in C++, but I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to implement ths.
Author of Hide and Seek mod, and the NALIBALL mod

Hide and Seek can be downloaded from:
http://HideNSeek.5u.com
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

didnt mess with these things yet, but i think the problem is maybe more the resume than to save it.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
TCP_Wolf
Administrator

Post by TCP_Wolf »

Yea sounds like requiring a few intelligent changes to both server and client. File handling itself is easy (relatively) and fast in C++. But you know things are ALWAYS more complicated than they first appear :-O
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
DieHard SCWS
Global Moderator

Post by DieHard SCWS »

I often notice a Cache0000.tmp (Cache0001.tmp, Cache0002.tmp, etc.) files sitting in the root of my Unreal folder.

To me it always looked like a cache Temp like discussed here, but disfunctional. In other words, it looks like the Temp is created, but is indeed unable to resume. Unless you guys tell me those files are something different, but that is what i always thought........
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

no, you are right. It is what you think.
But on the other hand, it might be not necessary at all when the download is fixed. I tried it with havoks suggestion to set the tickrate of the server to 70- long time i ago i saw such a fast download. So there must be a way to fix that.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Bane
OldUnreal Member

Post by Bane »

huh. I had no idea that's what those were for. I thought it was saved information from the pre-caching (not that I know what that is...). I just opened one of them in a hex editor and didn't see the GUID for it. If the GUID isn't in there (and it isn't in the file name), there's no way it could possibly resume. I'm guessing it's just a temp file that stores the information as it's received so it doesn't all have to stay in memory at once. The file format for these could probably be modified somewhat to allow recovering downloads.

OldUnreal Member

Well once I saw some map data in 1 of those temp files like "Brush103" "Nali1" etc...
So, I think it stores the currently finished downloads there while game is downloading, then when its finished it moves the file to cache folder and renames it. Maybe some unexpected shut down makes unreal not to delete them when download cancels (crash, exit?).
1823223D2A33224B0 wrote:...and now im stuck trying to fix everything you broke for the next 227 release xD :P
(ಠ_ಠ)
Bane
OldUnreal Member

Post by Bane »

Actually, even pressing F10 causes the files to remain. Perhaps they had intended support for incomplete downloads at some point and just never finished it. Even if the files did persist after a crash when they should've been deleted, unreal could just clean them all out on next startup, like with purgecachedays

Smartball
Global Moderator

Post by Smartball »

I wrote an instant messaging program in C# once that allowed users to resume previous downloads from other users. The idea actually isn't difficult at all, assuming the files are sent sequentially (starting at byte 0 and ending at the last byte, which I assume it is). When the server is rattling off the server packages to the client, and the client checks to see if it has each package, if it encounters a package that it doesn't have, it simply needs to check if .tmp exists (as Bane said). If it does exist, then all it needs to do is send back the file size of the .tmp file to the server, and the server should begin transferring the file to the client at that offset, and the client should begin appending. If the file doesn't exist, the client just sends back 0 so the server begins sending from the 0th offset, or the beginning of the file. It's easy in theory and was easy to implement as well, as long as the files are sent from server to client starting at byte 0 and ending at the last byte (I can't imagine any reason why it wouldn't be sent in order, but just thought I'd stress it lol.)
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
TCP_Wolf
Administrator

Post by TCP_Wolf »

It __might__ be a good idea to have a "resume window" of 1 or 2k in size, because sometimes when a download breaks the last few bytes are corrupted. Or as a safeguard, the client could simply discard the last couple of bytes when it broke. By principal it does work of course....
-=]HONESTY PAYS[=-
[§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ
OldUnreal Member

Post by [§Ŕ] ŤhěxĐâŕkśîđěŕ »

Bump for justice.

I guess it'd also then keep the download and not restart it from the beginning if the server switches maps, that's really annoying when it happens.
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

I had this idea while seeing those temp cache files..
Would it be possible to make it save unfinished downloads in some directory and next time ur about to download the same file again it would continue downloading it. It's just so frustating when ur downloading a 10 MB file at 95 %, then server map change and you have to start over.. or is the idea too time consuming to make?
The idea sounds fine to me. Not a critical feature but surely nice to have. But why don't you make it yourself, now you're in the dev team? ;)
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
OldUnreal Member

The idea sounds fine to me. Not a critical feature but surely nice to have. But why don't you make it yourself, now you're in the dev team?  ;)
Actually it's very hard for me to do that without the source code of Unreal Engine 1. Even so it might not be worth the time and all the trouble with debugging it when HTTP redirecting handles downloading very fast anyway.
(ಠ_ಠ)

Return to “Report Bugs in Unreal 226 versions”