For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Hired Guns thread

Here you can add and find information and help for other Unreal Engine titles. Currently for UE1 and UE2 based software.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Hired Guns thread

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Hired Guns (remake or hired guns 2 as its often called) was a cancelled game (that was more or less finished by the time it leaked) by psygnosis (formerly a branch of dma, the same people who worked on the n64dd port of Unreal).

Now if you put editor into this or run game with -editor (the game is still based on 200 or even pre-release Unreal in code, just kept being updated), the editor will crash with bogus errors regarding reading packages, like can't find for package "ne" and such. It either seems to have problem reading the current config file or something else is wrong, because even when i create dummy packages it goes on and on and on. It is quite painful. Any idea what is going on there? This is a gem of a game and its quite disheartening to see if the editor doesn't work. The art on this game might not be the highest quality but technically its great, it does things xcom alliance did and even better imo. I didn't have a single crash on this game despite its unreleased status which is quite a feat. Even though a lot of the game does look a tad primitive at parts, I mean you'll get reminded by the so-so quality of klingon honor guard art.
Victor Delacroix
OldUnreal Member

Re: Hired Guns thread

Post by Victor Delacroix »

I remember having tossed in an UnrealEd.exe and it did launch, but similarly to you, it offered weird package name errors. Now if you look at them closely one after another, you'll notice the letter strings actually form actual existing package names when lined up against each other. It's like the filenames for HG's packages are too long or otherwise read wrongly by the editor and ending up sliced in parts.

I don't think this editor will work. Most likely, we'll have to just use programs like Gildor's UE Viewer and other means to rip open the packages for later rewrite/recompilation on current Unreal or UT99 versions and get stuff running that way.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Hired Guns thread

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Yea seems like it, I mean I already used some sounds from this game, like for the implantgun.

But if long paths/whatever could be the problem, did anyone try to put the game executable outside of program files to some short path and see if that works? Perhaps its that simple even.
I might try that.
EDIT: No of course its not that simple, what am I thinking. Still someone might be able to fix it as long as there's someone willing to look into it.
at least yrex's unr to t3d can export the maps, though i used older version of his program as I didn't realize he updated it again in the last year.

Return to “Unreal Engine 1 and 2”