For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Other Unreal Engine games?

Hardware & Driver related problems
Acleaciuss

Other Unreal Engine games?

Post by Acleaciuss »

Hope this is the correct thread. Wondering if there is any support for other games under the Unreal Engine banner supported for these Enhanced OpenGl and D3D dlls?

I have just completed a game of Wheel of Time using the these OpenGl and D3D files, it works Extremely well!  :)

There was only couple minor problems, which could be from me not getting a setting correct in the ini file. When the game switches to play a Quicktime cutscene it plays correctly but once complete is stuck in Windowed mode. It also changes the Fullscreen resolution to 640x480, so you have to Exit then edit the ini if your using a nonstandard resolution (WoT only goes up to 1280x900 like Deus Ex, iirc).

Secondly it might be disabling Volumetric Lighting, not sure how to check. In the Main Menu Configuration area called Hardware it shows Volumetric Lighting and Detailed Textures off. I know Detail Textures is really on and working as I can get close up to Textures without seeing Pixelated. Volumetric not so sure about for example in the Starting Area there is usually Rain dripping inside the Ruined Structure with the Default D3D (OpenGL really doesn't work without your dll) but not with the Enhanced versions.

I'm now trying to play a game of Undying there has been some Restored Content and Detailed Texture Usage Upgrade mods which are new to me. Undying sadly seems to never shipped with OpenGL dlls and doesn't seem to work when trying the Enhanced dlls. Both the OpenGL and D3D dll cause a Core.dll errors.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Thanks for any help.  :)

BTW I had to create this new account, as I forgot my password from 5 or 6 years ago. Also have a new email account, so I couldn't ask for Forgot Password link. My original account name was Acleacius
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Re: Other Unreal Engine games?

Post by GreatEmerald »

Wait, you can use the renderers for WoT?! Holy cow. I thought it only ran on the D3D update and that's it. Are you using the ones from UTGLR?
Acleaciuss

Post by Acleaciuss »

UTGLR? What is GLR, I get the UT part?

I have gotten all three (known to me) Smirftsch's D3D (d3d1001-ogl2104.zip) and OpenGL (OMP-UT-V0.2.zip), also Chris Dohnal 's D3D9Drv working. It's too bad so far, can't get any of the Audio files from Smirftsch's Unreal Package to initialize.

I'm on a backup machine, till my new motherboard arrives, so if it's unusual for these to be running in WoT then maybe it could be allowing it to run?

These are my settings for WoT if it helps.

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
UseGammaExtension=1
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
UseTNT=False
OneXBlending=True
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
MinDepthBits=16
MaxLogUOverV=8
MaxLogVOverU=8
UseMultiTexture=True
UsePalette=True
UseAlphaPalette=False
ShareLists=True
AlwaysMipmap=True
UseTrilinear=True
MaxAnisotropy=16
SupportsLazyTextures=0
DescFlags=0
Description=
TruFormMinVertices=1
TruFormTessellation=3
UseTruForm=False
NumAASamples=4
UseAA=False
MaskedTextureHack=False
SwapInterval=0
UseVertexPrograme=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
AAFilterHint=0
TexDXT1ToDXT3=True
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE=True
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=True
UseDetailAlpha=True
RefreshRate=85
MaxTMUnits=0
NoFiltering=False
UseFilterSGIS=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseS3TC=True
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
UsePrecache=False
UseBGRATextures=True
UseZTrick=0
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
GammaOffset=1.000000
LODBias=-0.500000
Description=RADEON X850 Series

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
UseMipmapping=True
UseTrilinear=True
UseMultitexture=True
UsePageFlipping=True
UsePalettes=True
UseFullscreen=True
UseGammaCorrection=True
UseDetailTextures=True
Use3dfx=False
UseTripleBuffering=True
UsePrecache=False
Use32BitTextures=True
DescFlags=1
dwDeviceId=19276
dwVendorId=4098
RefreshRate=85Hz
UseVSync=False
DetailTextures=True

As I mentioned there are minor issues but the game runs and looks FANTASTIC! ;)

I sure hope it's possible to get these working in Undying.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Pretty sure WoT and DeusEx aren't limited by any resolution #, I use 1600x900 on deus ex, and it makes no sense to limit resolution. You can either edit the ini or use the setres ####x#### command
Acleaciuss

Post by Acleaciuss »

As mentioned I'm editing the ini to change the resolutions, but the GUI's are limited (i.e. you can't change in game). Though iirc there is a hack for Deus Ex which changes the GUI so you can choose from inside the game.
GreatEmerald
OldUnreal Member

Post by GreatEmerald »

UTGLR is Chris Dohnal's project. I didn't know you could use those in WoT, should be useful to keep in mind.
gp
OldUnreal Member

Post by gp »

What are the steps to getting the updated OpenGL to work in WoT? I'm getting an error when just dropping the files into the system folder and launching the game.
Acleacius
OldUnreal Member

Post by Acleacius »

gp, what's the error, are you editing the ini and are they cutscene releated, i.e. are you making it into the starting chamber (main menu)?

Could you double click on one of the movie files .mov? Btw, you need to copy the Movies and Music from the second cd, the edit the appropriate path in the ini. This allows the game to run much smoother since it's reading the Movies and Music from your Harddrive instead of the cd.

Also you can't use the Advanced Options in game for the Enhanced Video or Audio drivers. Afai can tell it actually disables the Video Driver section in the Advanced Options section.

I only know how to check the Detailed Textures, does anyone know if there is a specific effect I can look for to see if Volumetric Lighting is actually working, in WoT?

Also which forum can I ask about UndEd (Undying editor) 1 & 2 questions or a link, if possible please? Trying to find out how to unpack the .u files.

Thanks.
Last edited by Acleacius on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.
gp
OldUnreal Member

Post by gp »

The error occurs at the startup splash screen saying there's a procedure entry point related to Core.dll. OpenGL fails to load and instead it goes to the main menu map in software mode. The only other sites I could tell you where you might be able to find more information are the beyondunreal forums and the unrealsp.org forums.
Acleacius
OldUnreal Member

Post by Acleacius »

I'm using [url=http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx]Legacy 10.2 drivers[/url] , WoTPatch333b.exe and you have to install the Quicktime, afaik. 

Iirc you also need to install the base game, patched and run it before trying to install an Enhanced DlLL. I tried D3D9 to make sure I wasn't getting a OpenGL System.ini setting wrong, how about the D3D9Drv for UT? If D3D9Drv works you might just have ini setting issue.

Thanks for the link.  :)
Trust me, most of the names I have been called you can't translate in any language...they're not even real words as much as a succession of violent images.
iLikeTheUDK
OldUnreal Member

Post by iLikeTheUDK »

If you get close to surfaces without surfaces getting pixelated doesn't mean Detail Textuing is on. That's what surfaces generally look like when any hardware rendering mode is on. If Detail Texturing is on and there are some surfaces that do have detail textures, then if you get close, the surface will look smooth and look more complex and detailed.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

I am very interested in getting those d3d/opengl drivers to work with WoT, i just tried various ones, and they all threw an core.dll error at me (signs of obvious incompatibility).

Any chance you can put a step by step guide up on getting this to work?
iLikeTheUDK
OldUnreal Member

Post by iLikeTheUDK »

I'm currently wanting to find one, too.
Turboman.
OldUnreal Member

Post by Turboman. »

Don't you just love it, someone comes along with an ultimate solution, only to dissapear before telling us...
William(Rainman)
OldUnreal Member

Post by William(Rainman) »

Rainbow 6 Vegas 1&2 use the Unreal Engine.
dustinechoes849
OldUnreal Member

Post by dustinechoes849 »

oh man, I had an X850 pro ages ago. great card for its time.
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Rad Rodgers (unreal engine 4) I heard programmer Gregory Zawadzki (on some of his blogs) I heard he used some unreal engine 1 pre-proccessor, but did he use it to use weapon power-ups? But how? Anyway I want to know everything about if I can make 2D maps in Unreal Engine/Editor 1 for Jazz Jackrabbit 3(to make some low poly maps from previous games kind of like in Duke Nukem land of babes speaking of aesthetics) because 2d mode(like someone here gave me download link of unreal tournament 1999 in 2d if I remember correctly.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

I'm not sure but I think Gregory Zawadzki might be Raven, since I know he was working on Rad Rodgers, based on some forum posts of his on UnrealSP (he showcased it in offtopic iirc).

Raven also has an account here, perhaps you could try sending him a PM, not sure how often he signs in but he'll probably receive a notification via email if he has that enabled.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

Well he could reply to my comment even with sending him pm if he would interested to talk with me,but it seems he's not interested to be active in this thread for some unknown reason. It seems he doesn't feel need to be recent guest like for JazzGruff/CloverGruff making unofficial patches from old jj3d public tech demo so he decided to leave jazz2online. As for one new comer user thedarkhog he also left jazz2online because he had no assets to make his own Jazz Jackrabbit 3 fangame. He made his own indie game in Unity named Computer Virus Simulator.
Kajgue
Global Moderator

Post by Kajgue »

I don't know tbh, he hasn't logged in for a while according to his account, same goes for his presence most avenues of the Unreal 1 modding community afaik.

I don't think that it's because he's particularly uninterested in your post or this thread tbh, (even though i can't speak for him) it's most likely just because he hasn't seen it yet and/or is busy.
AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard
luke11685
OldUnreal Member

Post by luke11685 »

If he doesn't active anymore does it make him be banned or his comments keeps getting deleting by administrators and moderators?

Return to “Hardware & Drivers”