For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Remember that ship hologram on Skaarj Mothership?

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Rodion Kuzevanov

Remember that ship hologram on Skaarj Mothership?

Post by Rodion Kuzevanov »

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1592819327
I think that this is a mercenary ship, because it looks "nano-tech" like mercs and have similar colors.
My opinion about Terraniux: I don't think that Terraniux is a ship, I think this is a high-tech facility, because it have no pilot's cabin and it have underground. I think that Terraniux facility was dropped from the ship and was automatically-builded in very short time by the power of mercenary technologies.
Last edited by Rodion Kuzevanov on Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Re: Remember that ship hologram on Skaarj Mothership?

Post by Hellkeeper »

Interesting theory. Terraniux doesn't look like a ship indeed. As for what the ship is supposed to be, we can only guess as it never appears and we don't know what ship design look like appart from the Skaarj mothership.
You must construct additional pylons.
Rodion Kuzevanov

Post by Rodion Kuzevanov »

Interesting theory. Terraniux doesn't look like a ship indeed. As for what the ship is supposed to be, we can only guess as it never appears and we don't know what ship design look like appart from the Skaarj mothership.
I just think that everything in Unreal is for a reasons, because Unreal is a True Art Game.
We can't say that this is human ship, because it looks alienish, and we can't say that it's a Skaarj ship because it have pretty different style.
The chance of right guess(about mercs) seems big, because this ship have very similar colors(mercs have these colors) and some nano-structure elements. And there's no more other high-tech races: only Skaarj, Mercs and humans.
The thought about other alien race seems unnatural, because it could be too much and we know that the space is very big for that closeness.
Last edited by Rodion Kuzevanov on Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

That ship was confirmed to be Vortex Rikers. End of thread. It's called introship for a reason. This is how VR used to look like for the intro sequence they made at one point (not recovered). But they later erased the vortex rikers text. However version 88 of Unreal and the march 1998 unreali file have it with the old skin that shows its clearly Vortex Rikers. It does appear in the gateway map as well but with the modern version to make it more ambigious and to be able to use for other ships.

It is similar/inspired by stuff like Sulaco from Aliens afaik.

Also Terraniux (originally called Terranius) was always a ship, but we might not see 100 percent of everything and they indeed adapted/built stuff around because they figured they will not get out the planet anytime soon. So it became kind of a "facility" but its still a ship. You might want to read up on the recovered Unreal backstory.
Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Post by Hellkeeper »

Leo T_C_K wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:00 pmEnd of thread.
This thread was over three years ago before you exhumed it.
You must construct additional pylons.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Hellkeeper wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:44 pm
Leo T_C_K wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:00 pmEnd of thread.
This thread was over three years ago before you exhumed it.
I saw it as the only suggestion of a similar thread, probably because of the use of word "remember"..either way it needed adressing because we do have an answer what that ship originally was lol. And it was VR believe it or not. Maybe it was based on the original Inoxx's design before Cliff took over even, but they were still going to use it/were using it for the intro originally.

But yea VR was started by Inoxx already at least in late 1996, but I believe it only became known as VR as such when Cliff redesigned it during mid 1997. That's when the unreal-levels description then fits.

Inoxx's older design reportedly had an escape sequence of sorts at some point, this was at the point in developement when levels could be revisited but VR was obviously going to self destruct so it wouldn't be possible to revisit. There were even planned switchable zones and such. Inoxx kind of flushed the memory of the pre-1997 reboot out of his mind though but he remembers everything past 1997 into what Unreal became very clearly. Part of this info only comes from an archived exchange on epic's mailing list.

But yea there was a lot of flashing lights/alarm during the sequence that was planned/partially implemented.

If it was more like Sulaco from Aliens then you can imagine that would fit better.

Now that I think about it, what if that starship themed level with screenshot from around May 1997 with a few playrshp textures was actually that still? After all the first screenshot of Cliff's VR are only from around/past June 1997. GamesHarder knows what screenshot I'm talking about and could post it here, it was split between two pages of a magazine at one point.
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

I guess you're talking about this
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:01 am I guess you're talking about this
Yea lol, it must have been like the last version of the old players' vessel before they remade it acording to unreal-levels. This phase of the game was like in between the end phase of the unbible phase and the new reboot phase before they figured out what will be in the "reboot".

If this is an old version of VR (remember it used to have a quadshot acording to unbible and other sources especially after you re-visit the vessel and gain acces to it), then....

Then it must be "one of those old Vortex Rikers" but if it self destructed, if this is the version that eventually did, then ONP guy would have nothing to return to...but don't worry it was just one of the many different VRs...you see Vortex MESSA is real like mr profit said to confused travolta lmao.....

The novel version of VR also gets "nuked" at some point by the Skaarj towards the end of the story, "just in case". So that's yet another VR. And then there's the Unreal PSX VR which is also different and I guess is more of a blend between initial Inoxx version and Cliff's but with unique take from Eric Reuter...hell the outside also looks different although that could be explained by decay and other factors happening around (lava etc)..

VORTEX MESSA THE FOCAL POINT IN MULTIVERSE, REMEMBER THIS IF YOU WANNA TRAVEL TO OTHER DIMENSIONS, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS FIND ONE OF THE OLD VORTEX RIKERS (ONP GUY TM).

LOL
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Well I asked Inoxx and he doesn't recall that level, he only seems to recall Ketzen and Cryox. Its really weird how he doesn't remember the earlier time from when they weren't physically in the studio yet. He said it might have been even Pancho's level but he's not sure.

I'm going to assume that it indeed might be early vortex rikers before it got that name.

Because we know that Inoxx worked on it at some point, it was his conversation in the old mailing list. We'll see. Maybe it was just something he did briefly before he handed it over, I dunno.

EDIT: I get it now! It was mr. profit...he took Inoxx from a different dimension because of VORTEX MESSA and the one we have now is the one from another reality where he never made any VR versions...and just did Ketzen and Cryox (and Nexus he forgot to mention now too lol despite doing that before in our convos).

VORTEX MESSSSSAAAAA

that's the answer for ALL the mandela effectzzz
Gamesharder
OldUnreal Member

Post by Gamesharder »

The Vortex Rikers Multiverse?
Okay, that's going to my Unreal Iceberg lol
Very interesting.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Gamesharder wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:12 am The Vortex Rikers Multiverse?
Okay, that's going to my Unreal Iceberg lol
Very interesting.
lolol

Prisoner 849 in multiverse of Vortex Madness

Return to “Anything else ?”