For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

A great loss for me and my family

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Smirftsch
Administrator

A great loss for me and my family

Post by Smirftsch »

I'm writing this here, because I don't want to forget it and because I don't want him to be forgotten, I want to share it here with our community.

Tuesday at around my midnight our dog died, with only 6 years. Hero his name, we called him "Knäuelchen" which means clew or to clew because that's what he did if he was really happy or wanted to have something. I had pets before and when they died it was always painful, but this time I feel way deeper.
Knäuelchen, you have been no pet, you have been a friend, my family.
I miss you, we, the entire family, miss you!

[img]http://www.oldunreal.com/private/Hero1.jpg[/img]

Call me a sentimental idiot, but I have been crying ever since.
Last edited by Smirftsch on Thu May 26, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: A great loss for me and my family

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I won't be calling you any names at all.

I know what it's like to lose.....

to begin with I lived with a single cat from when I was born until I was 21 and she died when she was basically 22 years old...

She's been through a lot, even multiple surgeries. But I feel bitter about the way she died because nobody from my so called family wanted to really help her because it would "cost more" than having her killed and most would refuse to treat her at that advanced age.

But that's not an excuse to me. It's not...because she went through bad stuff when the doctors didnt give her a chance and she was fine after....last time when she was 19 even she had a surgery to remove cancer from her ear....

but that wasn't when I had to live with my grandparents again after being broke...after I had to live with them they shot down any efforts to try to treat her and I was dying away there too...

As for dogs, they've been really close to me at times, but my family shielded myself from them...for whatever reasons...but I think I started to understand those reasons later on (it just comes down to controlling me)....

There you have it, I've given my rant. I had to get it out...and I don't mean to downplay your feelings...

And I still had great losses to come afterwards..
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

I personally don't have any feelings for dogs except negative ones, but that's just my experience and losing a pet you hold dear is very difficult. I wish you and your family strength with your loss.
Last edited by Hyper on Thu May 26, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

I personally don't have any feelings for dogs except negative ones, but that's just my experience and losing a pet you hold dear is very difficult. I wish you and your family strength with your loss.
I'm a dog in disguise that had to learn human ways, do you have negative feelings for me too?
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

@leo: thanks for sharing that, it's sad to hear your pet was abused for that purpose. Damn hard. But at least she had the chance to grow old, something which fate didn't give me unfortunately. Be happy about it!

@hyper: a few years ago I wouldn't have believed that myself, because my experiences with dogs haven't been good either, best example was a dog which knew me but bit me for no reason nevertheless. But this one joined and shared some of the hardest years in my life and became part of my heart. A friend who would die for you without hesitation, giving company when I felt sad and was happy when I was.
I had to learn that too, it was unknown to me before, now leaving a huge gap. But I am thankful for this lesson, which I never would have had without our little dog Knäuelchen.

Last edited by Smirftsch on Thu May 26, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[]KAOS[]Casey
OldUnreal Member

Post by []KAOS[]Casey »

Losing a pet always hurts. Past a certain point they aren't "just a cat/dog/bird/whatever it is", and you'll never forget them. Just remember them well and be happy you gave them a good life.

[edit]don't abuse this topic. Please, just don't. Not this one.[/edit]
Last edited by []KAOS[]Casey on Fri May 27, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaden88

Post by jaden88 »

Accept my deepest sympathies for your loss Smirf. Non-humanoid animals are just as much "people" and family as any of us. Having recently lost a pet ourselves I can completely understand. I hope he's in a better place now and that you all get through this in the way he would want you to -- with loving memories.
Dr.Flay™
OldUnreal Member

Post by Dr.Flay™ »

So sorry to hear you have lost a family member.
Even the lack of hearing his feet on the floor is going to hurt for a long time.
If you have other pets they often help, but when it is your only pet the emptiness is such a killer.
You are now feeling less than you were, by the mass of 1 dog.

I don't favour one species over the other, because just like people it is the individual that makes the difference.
Until recently I had a close friendship with a friends cat "Cheju". We had an odd bond.
When I arrived he would hold up his paw for a "high-5" then climb up to my shoulders and stay there, watching everything I did.
There are many photos of me wearing a strange fur collar.
I miss him so much, and doubt I will ever meet another cat like him.

Dogs tend to be more pack oriented, and if you treat them right they would die protecting you. However even siblings from the same pack are very different.
My last dog "Cheeka" was about 3 years old when she was hit by a car, but the short time I had her my life was more complete, and always full of joy.
At the time we lived together in an old caravan in a field, far away from town, but when she was gone, it became somewhere I could not be.
Every time someone sat where she would sit, my heart cried.

The dog-sized gap in my life inspired me to write 4 lines that still make me emotional almost 10 years later. People tell me these simple words also hit something in them.
http://wayback.archive.org/web/20140302020127/http://my.opera.com/dr-flay/blog/cheeka

She is my avatar at NewbiesPlayground, where I use the very first photo I took of her.
Smirftsch, I suggest you do the same there.
Carbon
OldUnreal Member

Post by Carbon »

Sorry for your loss Smirftsch. Losing a pet is really rough and I know it well myself.

Our previous dog had mange - bad case, scabs all over his body, feet like gnarled clubs - from the start of his short life and after 3 years of trying everything, the vet finally said there is an underlying condition and it was pretty much hopeless.

We had to have him put to sleep and I held him when he left. Heartbreaking...still chokes me up.

Only time will help mate.
Last edited by Carbon on Fri May 27, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strategy-(DOG)-
OldUnreal Member

Post by strategy-(DOG)- »

i feel very sorry for your loss! it's like loosing a family member :'(
my thoughts are with you and your family!
[ no tolerance for intolerance ]
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Thank you all for your kind words and your thoughts, your experiences.
I have to admit, that I wasn't entirely sure in the beginning if this is the right place for that, after all it's a very sensible and private matter.
But I now feel it was right and it makes me happy to be within such a community.
Thank you all.
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Post by makemeunreal »

Our "family cat/house cat" has died today. Not died, but euthanised. It was a very hard decision, since she could live for months, or years, but in a condition I would barely call "living".
So I know how it feels, but Knäuelchen lived 6 happy years, and will never be forgotten!
We should be grateful to had these animals in our life.
Rest in peace guys.
[URL=http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/makemeunreal/media/sleep_tight_zps7fzisnxr.png.html][img]http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/makemeunreal/sleep_tight_zps7fzisnxr.png[/img][/URL]
Mirci.

Last edited by makemeunreal on Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
(T:S:B)Legionnaire
OldUnreal Member

Post by (T:S:B)Legionnaire »

:(
about:blank
Smirftsch
Administrator

Post by Smirftsch »

Our "family cat/house cat" has died today. Not died, but "killed by me". It was a very hard decision, since she could live for months, or years, but in a condition I would barely call "living".
So I know how it feels, but Knäuelchen lived 6 happy years, and will never be forgotten!
We should be grateful to had these animals in our life.
Rest in peace guys.
[URL=http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/makemeunreal/media/sleep_tight_zps7fzisnxr.png.html][img]http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h413/makemeunreal/sleep_tight_zps7fzisnxr.png[/img][/URL]
Mirci.
Very tough one. I don't know how I would feel being forced into such a decision, no matter if absolutely reasonable. I feel with you.
And yes, I am grateful, very, but it doesn't make it less painful either on the other hand.

Return to “Anything else ?”