For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Now that really

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Now that really

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Now that really pissed me off now. As some of you may know we are in unstable living situation and almost moved out recently, only for things to change at the last moment and problems appearing at the new place (destruction/reconstruction) etc and I don't even have a place to store things. In the middle of this, today, I had the only other laptop still unpacked (I'm typing this from zeur's unix laptop which, to a "common" computer user is like a rocket science to operate), which doesn't have javascript environment or anything either.
But since I had to shut down the broken windows laptop where I have Unreal stuff on and other stuff (and where the previous day before our place owner changed the lock so we didn't get back in), I even started making music after many years again (and something a little more complex than those samples/experiments I threw into FLP and ASP), so I started to find new creativity and inspiration only for it to be shut down at a moment's notice.

So that's just great right? Well in the end I convinced zeur to boot the linux laptop instead and with the new update to try finally so its secure and since they reverted back some changes we decided to try this. Also note that its still a super paranoid setup so to save files one has to copy them explicitly elsewhere or everything is lost and also preferably use a memory card. That is not the case with the unix laptop but still...at least there was a javascript environment for a while again and I could use "some" graphical programs for my other hobbies and do at least some work. Well, guess what happened...somehow I hit some magic key combination that made the laptop lock itself. They appararently require to set that during the boot. And now after a while of use, zeur of course didn't remember anything he set and he said he never sets the same password twice.
Great because I assumed he always clears that but no he could only disable auto lock and unlike with the unix stuff where he writes a lot of stuff himself, on this shit its usually me who has to figure stuff out or work around a bug or problem there. Like there was an issue that it started to auto-play webms after downloading which he saw as a huge security risc and needed that to be fixed.

So yea...without an access to terminal there's no way to transfer the files over and once the machine is shut down all the downloaded and created files are gone forever there...no choice but to shut it down and now there's a new version already and because that thing uses the physical connection and NOT the unix laptop, which uses our phone connection where phone acts like a modem...then THIS shit..will have to do with downloading and evaluation the new version and it can be quite large and...zeur just doesn't want to bother with it now when we have so much other shit going on and nothing is ever certain.

Yea...just great now. Now only one usable laptop left, which is almost entirely text interface. AND a couple of days ago I had a dream in which I accidentaly shut down what I thought was the unix laptop but obviously it must have been premonition of this.

But who the hell fucking gave that OS a thing to lock using a key combo that can be mistaken for a different one? I still don't know how I managed to trigger the locking in the first place. And linux in general is getting more and more broken and buggy. At some point it started to resemble a windows clone at least when it comes to user interfaces. Now its going somewhere else and its just...so....FUCKIN' RAW!
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Now that really

Post by Leo T_C_K »

As a result of the mad rush we're now lacking everything...our domain will expire (which means now my e-mail as well since I can't use volny yet again), we lack phone credit due to all the calling with police, with mayor, with potential places for rent, with stores, everything.
Our food supplu has run out and we have to restore. The state holidays around don't help right now as it makes things more difficult.
Then I didn't even count the rent in. I need some help asap again. I would have saved a lot of money if we didn't have to return back here (although now with asurances) but it seems the only way to lead a civilized life right now for us is to stay here as there's just literally nothing else around or anywhere else where we are treated even worse or discriminated. Hell I can't even order food anymore from the local parlor that runs monopoly on it because I've been blacklisted in practice. So no deliveries/pizza anymore possible now either. There are roadworks now too which slow things down. Its an absolute disaster.

At least there's some paperwork now that backs us up and stuff, but this ain't easy at all.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Re: Now that really

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Someone privately tells me that they wish the choice wasn't like between linux and windows in the modern world...yea well and real unix hasn't been modernised from the getgo.

However all current "research" and commerce is just based on redressing old things and old inventions and nothing really new gets made. The basis is still fucking broken and have not kept up with the leaps of hardware developement that started around in the 90s.

Zeurkous has had plans for years for new/own operating system and for new machines. But he can't put his skills into practice because he doesn't have a lab in his disposal. Unless some foundation would be made/found that allowed him to do this. We don't know what to do but he is itching to actually start some damn work on those things. Instead we're by large rejects of the current society that traded "elitism" for another extreme. In which nothing truly stands out and no progress gets made.

Return to “Anything else ?”