For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

that Unreal homebrew demo on Sega Saturn

This section is intended for non-Unreal posts. Forum rules apply.
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

that Unreal homebrew demo on Sega Saturn

Post by Leo T_C_K »

why is nobody talking about this in the Unreal community? I first found it via Bryan...
makemeunreal
OldUnreal Member

Re: that Unreal homebrew demo on Sega Saturn

Post by makemeunreal »

I knew about this project. It look really cool!
Can't wait to see it running on actual hardware. Gotta buy an actual hardware tho. :'D
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Are you going to get saturn just to run this demo that doesn't even use the Unreal engine and is essnetially a mod of a dm game they released?

Well, that's some devotion. Applause. lol
Hyper
OldUnreal Member

Post by Hyper »

Seeing this demo makes me appreciate the PC versions even more. :D
The man who stopped a tsunami

http://www.hypercoop.tk
unreal://hypercoop.tk
Leo T_C_K
OldUnreal Member

Post by Leo T_C_K »

Hyper wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:41 pm Seeing this demo makes me appreciate the PC versions even more. :D
It would have been cool to see the original unreal psx demo in action on the original hardware too or a dump from the disc, but that will probably never resurface. Though who knows...maybe someone will make a psx homebrew too using the old psx maps too (that used the low res textures etc).

I mean all we have is some screenshots from the original hardware version, not even video (the video from nathan silvers was from the pc developement version).

But of course it featured the known psx-tearing and that kind of stuff, like seen on two screenshots of the same exact angle and you can see the "wobbling" of the scene clearly. Even though the maps were often well detailed or used tricks to get lot of detail in like the tesselated tunnels and that kind of stuff, to many people it just didn't look good enough compared to the pc version and this was often cited as one of the valid reasons why infogrames dumped it in favor of other stuff in developement...
but they had a tight schedule/limit on unreal titles. If GT Interactive wasn't bought out, there would have been more Unreal titles on the market guaranteed, including more expansions and spinoff games.

EDIT: But indeed while playstation could handle a hacked version of the unreal engine, I don't see saturn being able to handle that, even the quake engine had to be scrapped for it and remade in a different engine. (I'm referring to the quake saturn port)
The only time Unreal could possible shine on the consoles though would be on the dreamcast and there was reportedly work started on that too. But that was a straight port too, with some minor differences only, so a little more different than the macintosh port. So it was kind of like dreamcast UT but without so much exclusive stuff as there. The magazine that previewed it seemed to even imply from screenshots it would be based on a pre-release Unreal (close to release but still little different). see here: viewtopic.php?p=101811#p101811
that would have maybe remained the dreamcast version of healpod, thus making that one of the maps different to the pc version.

There was a homebrew dreamcast version that i could never get to work though which was an attempt of modding the ut dreamcast version and adding unreal maps into it (which reportedly worked).

Return to “Anything else ?”