For direct access use https://forums.oldunreal.com
It's been quite a while since oldunreal had an overhaul, but we are moving to another server which require some updates and changes. The biggest change is the migration of our old reliable YaBB forum to phpBB. This system expects you to login with your username and old password known from YaBB.
If you experience any problems there is also the usual "password forgotten" function. Don't forget to clear your browser cache!
If you have any further concerns feel free to contact me: Smirftsch@oldunreal.com

Lower power consumption on GeForce GTX with 1 setting (UT 4.05, 4.36, OpenGL renderer)

Questions, Tips&Tricks for the special patches
ut405player
OldUnreal Member

Lower power consumption on GeForce GTX with 1 setting (UT 4.05, 4.36, OpenGL renderer)

Post by ut405player »

I set frame limit in all my UT's and Unreals (U and U:Napali) to 100fps and on GeForce GTX 980 (and 680) the card still renders stuff as fast as possible and only then capping the framerate to 100.
I have observed if I turn DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel= from 100 (default) to 0 that GPU heat output goes down quite a few degrees; from what I know NVIDIA doesn't require buffers being flushed for every frame and thusly avoids useless cycles of GPU and with that less heat generated and power being used.
I'm quite happy with the result.
I'm interested in your observations, fellow U/UT (OpenGL) players.

P.S.: I've tested it on my Quadro 2000 (Fermi, GTS 450 equivalent @625MHz) and there is no difference; perhaps because of 100% GPU usage for OpenGL UT...
Smirftsch
Administrator

Re: Lower power consumption on GeForce GTX with 1 setting (UT 4.05, 4.36, OpenGL renderer)

Post by Smirftsch »

interesting indeed. Thanks for this observation.
Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
ut405player
OldUnreal Member

Re: Lower power consumption on GeForce GTX with 1 setting (UT 4.05, 4.36, OpenGL renderer)

Post by ut405player »

To be honest the biggest difference seems to be on Kepler cards, but I can't really test pascal and up at the moment but those are so powerful that I don't think it might make a difference there anymore...
But I was surely quite happy with the result, perhaps a bit overenthusiastic... :)

Return to “OpenGL & D3D for Unreal & UnrealTournament”