Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The save got screwed up. (Read 246 times)
Pitsodmetrofff

Oldunreal member

The save got screwed up.
Apr 14th, 2018 at 6:02am
Print Post  
Greetings. However I had became an Unreal lover so I am playing through the Return To Na-Pali already. At some point I got the two last save files (level beginning and quick save) damaged. It was vanilla Steam version so I installed the latest patch from the site. After it the game does not recognize any of my save files. Comrades please help me!

IP Logged

Hyper
Board Moderator
Betatester

It's Unreal.

Re: The save got screwed up.
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php?title=Oldunreal_227_FAQ#Trying_to_load_o...

Savegames of older patches/game versions usually do not work unfortunately. Your best option is to use cheat codes to reach a state similar to your old save game.

IP Logged

Feralidragon

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Talking of which: is there any reference or documentation on what save files store, and how?

I was always quite curious about this, since there is documentation on the binary packages (thanks to guys like ElMuerte), but there seems to be none on save files, so I am not even sure if they follow a similar structure.

And since patches tend to break them, this would be useful to know to eventually be able to patch the save files as well, or to even export them into a separate format, similarly to how you can export a map to a .t3d, so they could even be stored in a cloud eventually for example, in a neutral format.

IP Logged

gopostal
Betatester

Hack coder

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
I spent an afternoon once trying to make heads or tails of them for an idea I had on saving statistics for players. Made zero sense to me without some sort of guide to follow as I ended up having to use a hex editor to read the file.

I don't want to give the end away
but we're all going to die one day

IP Logged

yrex
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
They seem to use the same format as normal packages.

Quality stuff | e-mail: ampoyrex(a)wp(.)pl

IP Logged

Feralidragon

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 11:10am
Print Post  
One thing I noticed several years ago, is that if I had a saved game, and then updated a package that I knew the map depended on (updated the code only), the saved game would still run the old code instead.

Does this mean that the save file is actually the complete state of the game as it was at the time of the save, including the actual packages used as they were then?

IP Logged

yrex
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
It's certainly not all dependencies it uses, but I guess some script related stuff may be stored in the "stack" part of the objects, although I never really looked into that.

Quality stuff | e-mail: ampoyrex(a)wp(.)pl

IP Logged

Pitsodmetrofff

Oldunreal member

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 5:05am
Print Post  
Thank you everyone for paying attention! But as far as I can see I have no option but to cheat and start the level from the very beginning. Am I right folks?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo