Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Steam Unreal links to Oldunreal! (Read 223 times)
Henry00

Fulltime programmer

Steam Unreal links to Oldunreal!
Jan 2nd, 2018 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
I just found this out through a friend, in the Steam version of Unreal you will be forwarded here for updates, I guess Epic Games did not forget about Smirftsch's hard work after all!

http://www.unreal.com/upgrade.html

Maybe this is old news but I find it awesome.

Back in 2008 it was a "don't trust Smirftsch disclaimer":
http://web.archive.org/web/20081027104528/http://www.unreal.com/upgrade.html

From what we could see for a few years it forwarded to www.unrealengine.com/upgrade.html instead and then changed back after 2012, near the Steam release. As Epic used 227 in the trailer videos they probably thought "oh this isn't so bad after all!" and now they forward directly to:

http://www.oldunreal.com/oldunrealpatches.html

Got to love Epic Games! Cheesy

Henry00

My programming team, 00Laboratories:
http://00laboratories.com/
IP Logged

Kajgue
Global Moderator
Betatester

Super-sexy-Kung-Fu-H
obo-sunva-bitch

Re: Steam Unreal links to Oldunreal!
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Fantastic news, thanks for sharing this Henry! Shocked

AKA - ( T : S : B ) Ice-Lizard

Whistleblower Ted Gunderson
IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Wait, doesn't this mean they are effectively saying to remove steam's DRM? Unless Unreal 227 keeps that intact somehow. But afaik it creates a new Unreal.exe so I doubt it.

Interesting how they expect people to patch the game themselves outside of steam though. Pretty unusual.

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

Feralidragon

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2018 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Code
Select All
curl -I http://www.unreal.com/upgrade.html

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 18:39:00 GMT
Server: Apache
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
Set-Cookie: www-epicgames-member=rd12o00000000000000000000ffff0a013c66o80; path=/

And a 301 to boot, not a 302, which shows that Epic really trusts him.

It's also my first time knowing about this, nice. Cheesy
Only better than that would be them to actually give some control to Smirftsch to actually let Steam itself do the updates automatically, although that would probably be asking too damn much.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Oh, this has been quite a while now and wasn't that easy either. In the end it was Flak iirc who took care about it.
Unfortunately it ends here already, because I was asking if it would be possible perhaps to get some agreement like there are for UE4 games, so that I could possibly redistribute some OldUnreal-Edition on here or at steam or whatever for some %.
I very much doubt it would make me rich Cheesy - but it would perhaps allow me to spend some more time working on it since I have to pay my bills like anyone else too.
In this mail I was only asking seriously for one thing- to get an answer about this request, even if it would be a "no" - however, not even this respect I was shown, I never got a reply.
To be honest, I am only disappointed yet.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Bleeder91[NL]
Betatester

Personal Text:

Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Oh I know Flak, she's around on the Fortnite Discord.

IP Logged

Henry00

Fulltime programmer

Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Smirftsch you have been saying that none of your E-Mails ever got a reply for years... are you sure you are not stopped by some spam filter on their end that blocks unpopular domains? Try some @hotmail or @gmail E-Mail account instead of any @oldunreal.com account...

My conversations with Tim Sweeney about open sourcing Unreal 1 have gotten positive quick replies, why would they ignore you? For those not in our IRC chat, he's currently digging through the code and making sure it doesn’t contain any third-party code they don’t have the right to freely redistribute.  Grin

Henry00

My programming team, 00Laboratories:
http://00laboratories.com/
IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Henry00 wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 12:54pm:
Smirftsch you have been saying that none of your E-Mails ever got a reply for years... are you sure you are not stopped by some spam filter on their end that blocks unpopular domains? Try some @hotmail or @gmail E-Mail account instead of any @oldunreal.com account...

Guess I was a bit unclear here- I always got response in cases in which I was helpful, such as the UT MasterServer and I was always happy to help out without having any ulterior motive. Just when it came asking about anything which could be helpful for us as community I got the famous "we don't have the bandwidth to..." or nothing at all. The same counts for the link mentioned here,  I suppose if not for Flak the upgrade link never would have been established either.

On a second thought I am not even sure if this is a good place to talk about it, it's really not my idea to blame anyone for anything or so. I'm also still very grateful for the opportunity Epic gave me, but I can't comprehend that it's (or I am for that matters) not worth the time to write alone a single word. I just wanted to express how disappointed I am despite how positive the link to us here is.

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Feralidragon

Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I also had that kind of experience with them, namely with Flak through PMs in their forum, I gave it a try on a couple of fronts concerning mainly the Smirftsch's major contributions and UT99 stuff, but when I tried to dig just a little bit deeper, I got no reply, so now I know where the line is drawn, and I didn't pursue it anymore either.

And I think that's all there is to not replying to you, that's their way of letting you know where that line is.

Truth to be told, they are maintaining the master server, gave away some headers, and even the entire source code to some through an NDA, and the engine itself is "open" enough for guys like Higor and others to actually do some ground-breaking stuff with it, therefore asking for more is probably what we should not do at all, we were already given a lot, and they still care at least a bit about it.

From there, it's up to all of us to make the best out of it, which thus far I do believe we did, although there's more we can all collectively do of course.

As for Tim looking at the old source checking for third party stuff, he already said something along those lines 3 years ago or so, and thus far nothing but smoke screens, so I am not buying it, until there's an actual release or an official statement from him.

I have said this before, but I believe that if there's something like that happening in the future, the best bet is at the 20th anniversary of either Unreal or UT99. If they pass by without any further news, I very much doubt we will ever see anything.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Feralidragon wrote on Jan 3rd, 2018 at 1:46pm:
And I think that's all there is to not replying to you, that's their way of letting you know where that line is.

That might be very well the case and again- I am not unhappy with what we have, it's still quite a lot and I think we made something out of it as well.
I would have been just happy about a response, a simple "no" would have done it. Honestly, I fully understand they can't or won't do such a thing I asked, for whatever reason(s) and I am sure there are plenty of legal, commercial etc. reasons they can't do it that easily (or for reasonable costs at least). It's how I feel being treated here, making me really sad and I am not talking about me in person only, a lot of these "ignored" things have been community/game related as well.

Edited:
Either way, you made a good point here. Let's be happy about what we have. /crying

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo