Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Texture creation as a dds format (Read 125 times)
gopostal
Betatester

Retired

Texture creation as a dds format
Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
I am spending today messing around with different textural formats and seeing how they look after importing into the game. I'd like to find the "for myself" proper size and format to use to create a texture package.

My question concerns saving as a dds file. I added the NVidia tool so that photoshop can use the format but now it asks me to clarify the correct DTX when saving. LightningHunter was kind enough to school me once before on the proper settings but I can't find that hastily scribbled page in my notebooks. I've been googling for the answer as it pertains to Ued but can't find the answer. If someone knows off the top of their head I would love some guidance. TIA and Merry Christmas Smiley

I'm outta here. C ya!

IP Logged

©Pitbull®™
Forum Administrator

Re: Texture creation as a dds format
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Try the search engine right on the forum. Make sure you use the actual search page as the quick search only goes back 1 week. I found a wealth of info in The High res section of forum. 

http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=search

Make sure you check the box for all posts as well. I am very rusty on the subject so I'm sure you'll know better search terms to use.
Good Luck!!

LOADING HATERS..████████████] 99% Complete.

It was only a difference of opinion, but really...I mean good manners
don't cost nothing do they, eh?
IP Logged

yrex
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Use DXT1 for normal and masked textures.
Don't care about DXT3.
Use DXT5 for alpha blending.

Anyway, in most cases a P8 made with BRIGHT should look good enough.

Also, don't forget about this.

Website | ampoyrex at wp dot pl

IP Logged

gopostal
Betatester

Retired

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Yeah, that's the first thing I did but the discussions can conflict with each other. Some say use DTX1, some say 3 or 5. I know that the possibility of crashing clients is there if I don't form the texture package correctly so that's why I was asking for clarification.

I have this stupid large 100+MB texture package on my server for the high-def skins and I want to minimize it down as far as I feasibly can. I was hoping that properly created dds imports could bring that down to a manageable size.

Edit: Thank you Yrex! You da man!!

I'm outta here. C ya!

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 7:16am
Print Post  
The maximum size of (texture) packages for Unreal is 2GB. So, there is actually some space left Cheesy

Everything else is said.

@yrex I didn't see this browser of yours yet, somehow I missed it. Will download it later. It seems you have some cool stuff laying around, if you make me a list and description of your tools, I can upload them here in the tools section, if you want to.

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

gopostal
Betatester

Retired

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
2GB, oh well I have plenty of room.

I've had a bunch of random joins lately but they disconnect when they see this texture pack being sent to them. I have hosted redirect that's fast but it doesn't seem to matter. I love the high res skins but if it's turning players off then I'm going to remove it. I'm streamlining the entire server this week so you can join much faster. You know how it is, you create and test and add and then before you know it new people need 47 packages and 10 minutes to join.

I hope yrex takes you up on your offer. The majority of the time I'm googling an answer to something his name is in the mix and he's posted some sort of tool that does it. It would be nice if they were in one spot.

I'm outta here. C ya!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo