Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Unreal 2 editor (Read 578 times)
Skaarj Dorian88

Oldunreal member

Re: Unreal 2 editor
Reply #15 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Do you have to put your terrain inside a square cube room? Cause I am having problems with the heightmap. It is not showing in wireframe mode and I cant edit it. I converted the heightmap to 16bit too.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #16 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
The shape or size of the room doesn't matter. All that matter is that in the room where your TerrainInfo is, you also added a Zoneinfo with bTerrainZone=true. Otherwise, the terrain won't be displayed.
Then you have to rebuild your map. The terrain will still not show up until you add a first layer to be used as a texture on the terrain.

If you did everything correctly and the terrain doesn't show up, there is still a possibility: since your heightmap's colour defines the default altitude, the terrain might be floating very high above or under the TerrainInfo's height level. This is caused by having an heightmap which is too dark or too bright, moving all vertices up or down by default. In the top viewport, press the T key, which toggles the rendering of terrains. If nothing shows up, then something hasn't been set up properly and your terrain does not exist. Check the Zoneinfo and your default layer.

To add a default layer, open the TerrainEditingTool, select your heightmap, open the Layers tab, open your texture browser, choose a default ground texture and right-click on the first empty layer slot and create a new layer. There, you'll have to input the usual package (MyLevel), group and name of the layer (put whatever you want), a size in AlphaHeight and AlphaWidth (you must put the same size as your heightmap) and an alphafill.
For the first layer of your terrain, set the alphafill to A=0, B=255, R=255, G=255. This is white. This insures it will be displayed everywhere by default.
For all the next layers, put A=255 and the three other values to 0.
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2017 at 8:34pm by Hellkeeper »  

You must construct additional pylons.
IP Logged

Skaarj Dorian88

Oldunreal member

Reply #17 - Nov 12th, 2017 at 6:27am
Print Post  
Something is happening in the terrain editor now. I have those yellow lines popping up in my perspective view inside the cube when I move the mouse around. Sometimes I get a red dot on the cursor in certain areas within the cube. Guess it was a little slow to react.

IP Logged

Skaarj Dorian88

Oldunreal member

Reply #18 - Nov 12th, 2017 at 7:03am
Print Post  
Ok. I added a default layer now and I can see it now. Also I think I have that heightmap problem you mentioned.  Smiley

The terrain seems to be going through the floor of my cube room quite a way down. I positioned the TerrainInfoActor quite a fair way up in the cube. I think I will create another heightmap in UT2004 editor just in case for export.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #19 - Nov 12th, 2017 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
Skaarj Dorian88 wrote on Nov 12th, 2017 at 6:27am:
Something is happening in the terrain editor now. I have those yellow lines popping up in my perspective view inside the cube when I move the mouse around. Sometimes I get a red dot on the cursor in certain areas within the cube. Guess it was a little slow to react.

That was the TerrainEditingTool's brush.

The problem with the terrain being far underneath the TerrainInfo is common. It's usually position 32768 units too low. Simply select the VertexEdit tool, move a couple of vertices up to the level of the TerrainInfo, then use the flatten tool to level the entire heightmap.
To do this, select the VertexEdit tool, CTRL+Click anywhere on your terrain. All vertices under the brush will take various shades of white and grey depending on their distance to the center of the brush (the red vertex). CTRL+drag the mouse with both buttons pressed to move the vertices vertically. Move them until they're more or less level with the TerrainInfo or slightly underneath.
Then take the Flatten tool, CTRL+Click on a vertex which is at the correct altitude and move your mouse. All vertices your brush passes will be instantly leveled to the height of the vertex you originally clicked. Flatten your entire terrain and it will be fine. You can use a gigantic brush for this, as only the height of the single vertex you click first will be taken into account.

IP Logged

Skaarj Dorian88

Oldunreal member

Reply #20 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Ok. I get it now. Vertex Editing is for moving the position of the terrain and flattern shrinks the terrain size. I actually like smooth better for shrinking the terrain and I will use flatten to shrink any smoothed terrain to make the top flat if I want to afterwards.

I managed to get the terrain to fit inside the box now. Now I can just sculpt it how I like.

Smiley

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #21 - Nov 14th, 2017 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Glad it finally works as you want. Smiley
Remember that the terrain is always displayed in Dynamic Light mode, so you have to put either lights or a sunlight, unless you simply add some zonelight in the zoneinfo, otherwise it will be pitch black.
I don't know what you mean by "shrink" though, you can't change the terrain's size.

As for the tools, Vertex Editing is useful to move vertices manually, but you can also sculpt the terrain with the painting. Select the painting tool and select your heightmap in the TerrainEditingTool, then paint with CTRL+Click to paint mountains or CTRL+Right click to paint chasms. In all cases, you will indeed need to use the smooth tool to make everything better once it's been roughly sculpted.

IP Logged

Skaarj Dorian88

Oldunreal member

Reply #22 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 1:52am
Print Post  
I didn't know that about the painting tool. I though it just painted as it implied. I did not know it sculpted as well. There are some other tools I am not sure what they do either such as the Noise tool and Visibility tool and Edge Turn tool.

I am using wireframe mode in perspective view at the moment cause everything is to dark in dynamic lighting mode.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #23 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Several tools work differentely depending on if you use them with a heightmap or a layer selected.

As for the tools you mentioned: Noise moves all vertices underneath the brush slightly up or down, giving the terrain a jagged appearances. With a sunlight casting shadows, it gives some texture to otherwise flat surfaces. If you use them with a layer, it will apply random patches of the selected textures over the desired surfaces.

Visibility allows you to turn off and on some parts of the terrain: CTRL+Right click makes everything it touches invisible, allowing you to optimize your terrain by deactivating parts which can never be seen (such as parts behind a mountain you can't walk around or the part under a huge building). CTRL+Click turns any invisible triangle back on.

Edge Turn is a technical tool. As you can see in wireframe mode, the terrain is composed of many sets of 2 triangles arranged as a squares. These are called "quads" and they appear as squares with a diagonal line going through them. The diagonal line is the hypotenuse of the two triangles composing the quad. By default, all quads are similar as the diagonal line runs north-west to south-east.
Sometimes, when sculpting steep slopes or cliffs, the edges of the triangles will begin to show and this will manifest as a series of square "teeth" on your terrain that are very hard to hide.

The Edge Turn tool solves this problem by turning the quads to which it is applied, so that the diagonal runs north-east to south-west.

It's a specific tool for a specific issue and shouldn't be useful to you as a beginner.

IP Logged

Skaarj Dorian88

Oldunreal member

Reply #24 - Nov 15th, 2017 at 10:51am
Print Post  
I wasn't going to use the edge turn tool anyway, just wanted to know what it was. I have added a sunlight Actor now too. Also when it comes to making caves and tunnels and I need to cut a space in the terrain, how should I do it? Not sure whether to subtract or add or neither since the terrain is already inside a subtracted cube room.

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #25 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 10:51am
Print Post  
To create a tunnel, you have to make it with BSP or meshes or other terrains, then cut open your terrain with the Visibility tool to give access to the inside.
The terrain has no interaction with geometry as it's handled differently, so you can't affect it with subtracted brushes.

IP Logged

makemeunreal
Betatester

Unreal maniac

Reply #26 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Is there any way to export the terrain as a mesh or BSP?

IP Logged

Hellkeeper
Global Moderator

Soulless Automaton

Reply #27 - Nov 16th, 2017 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
No, because it's neither one nor the other, it's a completely different type of geometry.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo