Links

Tutorials

Unreal Reference

Usermaps

borderline

Contact us:
Submit News
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic General Protection Fault when using any 227 version (Read 194 times)
Mannfred

Oldunreal member

General Protection Fault when using any 227 version
Oct 21st, 2017 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
It's been a few years since I played Unreal 1 (since before the gamespy fiasco) and I thought to pick it up again. Seeing that the community patch(es) available here were the only ones available for getting MP working again I decided to give 227i a crack. However, regardless of what audio/video devices are selected, unreal just crashes on launch with one of a few general protection faults, with the exception of software rendering, which results in the game crashes on launch with a general "program has stopped working" error. The same happens with unreal safe mode with as many configurations as I have been able to try.

I have also noticed that the official unreal gold version only successfully launches if software rendering is used. Otherwise is GPF's on launch. I have wiped and reinstalled unreal and 227 patches from i to f with no success. I have updated GPU drivers and have even pursued something about disabling Windows' DEP as a solution. Any assistance would be lovely. Screenshots and logs (if there are any) can be provided as needed.

As an aside, current specifications are:
i7-7700k @ stock
GTX 1080
64GB RAM
Win 7 Pro

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Re: General Protection Fault when using any 227 version
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 6:42am
Print Post  
hey there and welcome Smiley

We have a rather similar topic here, maybe it's related: http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1506540651

Other than that- we need logs to even have a clue whats not working. You can copy and paste it here (preferably as "code") or into http://oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/nopaste/

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Skywolf
Betatester

Just placeholding...

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 7:12am
Print Post  
This is likely caused by DEP (Data Execution Prevention) or how I like to call it: DERP (Dump ERror Producer).

• Open Control Panel.
  • Go to System(enable small/large icon mode on the top right if you don't see it).
  • On the left click Advanced System Properties.
  • Under the performance section click Properties.
  • Go to the tab labeled Data Execution Prevention (DEP).
  • Now either disable it outright (setting it to only work for essential windows services) or add Unreal.exe as an exception.

Some of the names of the things you have to click on I gave here might be slightly different as I had to translate them from Dutch. So don't worry if it doesn't exactly match up.

I hate it when people ask me what my favorite game is. Just try to explain you're not talking about Unreal Tournament Roll Eyes.

IP Logged

Smirftsch
Forum Administrator

Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 8:49am
Print Post  
if it is really DEP then there is some hint also here: http://www.oldunreal.com/wiki/index.php?title=Oldunreal_227_FAQ

Sometimes you have to lose a fight to win the war.
WWWICQ  
IP Logged

yrex
Betatester

Oldunreal member

Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
- Make sure the game runs in 32 bits (not 16).

- Try running the game windowed.

(In Unreal.ini look for StartupFullscreen, FullscreenColorBits, and WindowedColorBits.)

Website | ampoyrex at wp dot pl

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo